Norovirus on Brilliance T/A 5/11/2014

Sunday 11 May Cobh (Cork)

I am reliably informed that The Brilliance of the Seas has had an outbreak of Norovirus and the ship was cleared this morning whist in Cobh, to allow a deep clean to eradicate this virus.

The ship is now underway to France.

Watch this space.

Does anyone have anymore information on the Brilliance? They have left France and are heading to Belgium now

I was one if the passengers on this cruise. We ended this AM in Harwich. The outbreak was pretty bad and although the staff tried very hard to clean and keep morale up-- lots got sick, including my roommate. I actually slept on the floor of a friends stateroom because I didn't want to catch it from my roommate.( luckily I didn't) she was quarantined- but they refused to give me a separate cabin.... I guess they were very full and a lot of people were sick so they couldn't --

They left her a letter saying she would get some kind of credit-( I didn't at all despite not being able to use my stateroom)

They felt that was a choice on my part ( I consider it a necessity and a good choice because it kept me from being ill even if I was very uncomfortable)

I felt bad for all the staff -who were worked double shifts -- they even got to the point they didn't allow guests OR crew in the respective dining halls to serve themselves from the buffet but instead staff with gloves handed out both plates and dished food...

As someone else on the cruise ... they definitely had full containment measures in effect. Thank goodness too, as I saw too many disgusting instances of hygiene before the breakout to want to consume any food accessible to the public.

Delayed boarding today. My dad is on a b2b and they gave them a city tour so they can sanitize.

We will be sailing to the Baltics on 26th May, would be interested to know if the ship is bug free after the deep cleanse in Harwich.

Thank you

We will be sailing to the Baltics on 26th May, would be interested to know if the ship is bug free after the deep cleanse in Harwich.

Thank you

It never will be as guests will always bring sickness onboard even if the ship is cleansed. Wash your hands before touching anything you are going to eat and try to refrain from touching your face and that will go a long way towards preventing non-airborne stuff like Noro.

Don't touch the menu in the MDR.

Make the waiter lay it down and give him the order.

Menus are used over and over.

Go to the buffet as soon as it opens before many have touched the spoons.

Never been sick but been on many sick ships.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on this cruise as well and did not hear how many had noro virus but as others have said the crew was in full containment mode.

The ship itself doesn't breed the virus. It's brought aboard and it doesn't take but a few out of 2400 passengers to spread it everywhere.

Passengers BRING it on the ship...they don't "catch it" FROM the ship! You are more likely to catch noro at home, from school-aged kids, your church, the grocery store...any place folks congregate. It only takes one person with the virus to start spreading it BEFORE THEY KNOW THEY ARE SICK! That's why this is so insidious....you shed the virus before you have ANY symptoms!

It's awful...I've had it, tho, thankfully, not on vacation! It's bad enough when you're at home!

I was on the 14 day TA. Started getting sick Mother's Day evening dinner while in Ireland. Was sick all night. Saw medical people in morning. The took my temp 101, gave me a shot for nausea and quarantined me for 24 hours. I missed my tour of Normondy, which was Monday and Brussels. Still was not feeling well during the 28'hours of my travels home. Was so good to hit my bed once I got home.

These things happen. We were so careful. Did not even use public rest rooms. Used hand sanitizer constantly. I feel I ate something that was not good. Who knows.

I was on the 14 day TA. Started getting sick Mother's Day evening dinner while in Ireland. Was sick all night. Saw medical people in morning. The took my temp 101, gave me a shot for nausea and quarantined me for 24 hours. I missed my tour of Normondy, which was Monday and Brussels. Still was not feeling well during the 28'hours of my travels home. Was so good to hit my bed once I got home.

These things happen. We were so careful. Did not even use public rest rooms. Used hand sanitizer constantly. I feel I ate something that was not good. Who knows.

You could just as easily picked it up in Ireland as on the ship. When we were at Blarney Castle there were lots of touch points on handrails and other places. Same with Kinsale and on the buses for tours. The only time I have experienced it was at home at a food truck rally. Later that day I came down with the virus and was very ill for 3 days.

7th June 2014 - I have just returned from the Harwich Cruise Terminal, dropping off some friends for a cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas. They recieved an email from RCI saying that because of an outbreak of ? - presuambly Norovirus, the ship is having a deep clean and embarkation procedures will start much later than normal.

In the past, when this has happened, RCI have sent their own team from Miami and on one occassion, after Noro victims kept rising more and more each cruise, the ship left 6-hours after the scheduled time and the team had to stay on the ship after in left Harwich. As a consequence, some passengers were not allowed to occupy their cabin until the next day, having to camp out in lounges.

The trouble with RCI ships on Russian cruises is that many of them meet up in Amsterdam and other Baltic ports and crew and entertainers move from ship to ship. In many cases it is the crew that are to blame for spreading Noro, not the passengers who are always blamed. The only way to stop it in it's tracks is to detox the ship with anti "viral" spray, which is very expensive. All on board gels are anti-biotic and useless against the Noro virus.

As the time draws nearer to when the ships return to American waters, RCI and the others get more and more frightened that the Noro is still prevelent as then they would have to report an outbreak to CDC in the USA. Whilst cruising away from the USA no outbreaks come under the rigerous CDC (Centers of Disease Control & Prevention) rules.

It should also be noted that Adult Only ships rarely have such outbreaks and as RCI are now considered a family orientated cruise line, they have the worst nowdays it seems.