Disney Dream Review-solo adult perspective

Sue Do'nym

Hi all!

This is a review of the Disney Dream from the solo/adult perspective. Loved the ship and am a Disney fan in general so expect a positive review. Also, did not get to take advantage of as much as I wanted to on the ship for two reasons, one-short cruise and two-kept falling asleep. That said, it was the most relaxing vacation I have taken in a long time.

Day 1

-I spent two nights getting 4 hours of sleep so night before the cruise I was so tired I could hear color. Up at 5 am so I could repack my bags I had carefully packed 2 weeks ago. To the airport- I left extra time so was leisurely making my way through a crowded airport and enjoying the drama of those who did not plan so well. I wonder if the guy in the Hawaiian shirt who did not get to security until 30 minutes before his flight made it? The TSA agent and I thought not. Security thought I was hiding something so they swabbed my hands? Something new every time...picked up my paperbacks and snacks for the trip. Flight was on time. We landed in Orlando at 11:30. Straight to Magical Express- whisked on the bus immediately. Dropped at the port at 12:30 and again whisked through check in- walked on boat at 1 pm. Yes, they still do the announcements by name (poor castmembers who have to listen to that all day) but they use them to direct you to restaurants. I had planned on Cabanas but was advised to go to Enchanted Garden. It was closer and I had followed every other direction, so why not? Seated quickly, drink order taken- not quickly...then line for food. It moved slow when I was in it but that was due to small kids and older people gumming up the works. They had sandwiches- the tomato mozzarella ciabatta was the best. Seafood selection- I could not get my crab legs open, shrimp, mussels and lamb chops...I knew I would not wait in that line twice so I got some of everything. All very good. I sat and ate and read my navigator where I learned the drink of the day was the Bahamas Mama so I ordered one. The line went down quickly and 10 minutes after I sat down there was none- so if you are patient/ not hungry, you might want to wait to grab lunch. After finishing my drink/ lunch to the rooms which were open. Put away my things, found my cruise gifties- rainforest card, romance package, and extra bottle of wine- all there! Hopefully someone can open the champagne for me. The DCL bathrobe is the softest and fluffiness so am very pleased with the package. The chocolates are nice too. I ordered the Pinot Grigio wine and it not as good as the Target wine cube- don't laugh- those are great! But still good enough to drink. Still have not explored the ship...took my first nap of the trip...

Off to mandatory drill- my station was easy to find and lots of folks able to help. I was in the WDW theater. Drill lasted 15 min. Everyone must have showed up on time so yay fellow cruisers for being considerate of others!. Then to Deck 11- found adult area- looks nice- smaller than I expected. Ended up in the middle of the start of the sail away party. Too loud, too bouncy and too many kids. Too many adults too. Grabbed hot dog and fries- napkins were not to be found-learned they must be requested. I found a spot to lean and watched the introduction of the entertainment pep squad- not sure what they call themselves, but that was a lot of energy. Back to verandah for peace and quiet during sail away! Wrestled open the Pinot Grigio and enjoyed a peaceful sail away. Bon voyage!

Decided to go to the Golden Mickeys- got there at 6:10 to a half empty theater, picked seat on back row end of aisle and watched the show. I was super impressed. The usual disney cheese- stage manager forced to host the stage transformed into glamorous singer by the end, but they interspersed film scenes with good live action singing and dancing. Pet peeves- people continued to fill in until after 7 pm. By the time I left the theater was full. Also people using cells during show as well as flash photos. At this point we should all know better... I asked for a diet coke and got a bucket of popcorn cause I felt bad the waiter was just getting me a diet coke. The popcorn was good and the bucket it came in was cute so worth the $10. Not everyone would think so, I heard some folks complaining about the charges. Man, if I want to hear complaints about up charges I cruise Ncl. Kidding, love my Norwegians. Went into shops but so did everyone else...so left quickly. It is a short cruise and the stores are only open in the evenings. The only times they were crazy was when a show just let out. Dinner was in Enchanted Garden. I was seated at a table for 6 with one other girl, from India and traveling solo too. We had a nice chat so no crazy table mates. She was also a vegetarian and not a fan of the food. I had the mushroom tart- ok, romaine salad, eh, and the sea bass which was good. I had the sticky pudding for dessert. That was on the recommendation of the waiter, he was right. Waiters were attentive and service was great. I was impressed. They were very concerned that my dining partner did not like her food. The waiters are going to see that she has good Indian vegetarian food. Afterwards back to the shops but another show was letting out, so I walked the promenade deck and walked to the District. If I did not have a balcony I would live on that deck. Wandered through the district, got a cocktail at pink then watched a band, The district was hopping so there is nightlife on a Disney cruise. Unfortunately, I was tired so back to the balcony with a little wine, then trip diary and bed!

Woke up early at 6 am! Yikes! The point of this cruise for me is to relax so today is all about relaxation.

Walked around the pool deck before breakfast. The Nemo reef area is very cool too bad only for little ones. I changed my mind after seeing it full of little screaming tikes. They can have the area-keep them corralled. Next into Cabanas- picked up eggs, very good, eggs Benedict, not gourmet but better than I could do. Mickey Waffles yay and all the bacon I could grab- ha ha Carnival and your bacon police. Bacon was good too. I went to an outdoor seating area on the aft portion. It was very cool- I see why the aft balcony cruisers love it. Next to spa to redeem my rainforest pass and see about booking the special, $149 for a massage/facial. No problem they could take me right away! Sweet. I wrote on my card no interest in buying products and it worked. She asked a lot about my skin care routine but honestly if there is a product for it, I already have it. It was very cool to watch us pull into Nassau from the bow of the ship. My therapist even raised the sun shade so I could get a better view. She was amazing. Super relaxed, I even fell asleep on the table! At the end I am awakened and off to the rainforest room, I found an empty heated lounger and fall asleep again, I guess I was relaxed...I debate using the other services and step into the sauna briefly. But it was getting crowded so I decide to head for lunch. I wander through the adult area. Crowded, lots of loungers with towels and no people. There are signs every where that say no saving but lots of people in the pool so how could you tell? I head over to Cabanas and wow, the family deck is worse. No loungers, everything covered with a towel. The pools are packed and there is just so much noise. I grab lunch it was eh, ok. Some things were better than others, I prob should have just ordered room service. I head back to adult area which is still crowded. I decide to head to room to update diary and for a break out of the sun. My next plan is back to adult world for a drink and then once finished, back into spa area for more relaxation. Also there is some really loud noise in room right now- might be from a theater but I heard nothing last night. Maybe my neighbors like to rock out at noon? Also the Getaway is parked beside us. She is a pretty ship!

Continued my relaxation day- got a melon vine although bartender did not know how to make it..it was advertised in Cabanas- Sauvignon blanc, midori, pineapple juice...not hard. It was good. Back into rainforest. Good call to leave as it was now empty. I napped in a heated lounger. Used both hot tubs. Used the different showers. Tried two saunas. . After sleeping peacefully for two hours along with 6 other people, a mother daughter team came in and would not shut up. Not talking softly either, nope regular street voices. Now, no signs to be quiet but everyone else was being quiet and take a cue from others... At least talk softly! I headed into a sauna but there was another type I do not like- the guy who has done it all and done it better than you. I sat there for 2 minutes and this was what he said- yeah my friend has a sauna but you have to be careful. I don't have to be careful because I have a breathing technique that let's me stay in the sauna longer than anyone...I can stay in his sauna 24 hours and have no problems. He keeps his sauna hotter than anyone else! So I left and sat in a sauna where people were nice and quiet. Ahh spa life. I decided to brave the adult area for the DOD- yellow bird. Still crowded. Still chairs hogged. Towels on every available surface. I decided to try deck 12. Although the waiters were flying up and down the stairs, I decided to play it safe and take the elevator. I have had a series of twisted, sprained and broken ankles through the years, plus a bad knee injury in the past two years so no risk taking for this chick. Deck 12 was much better and I am not sure if that was because it always was or because it was late in the day. Either way, lounger grabbed, drink drunk, book read and another nap taken...wow! Band playing was good. I was annoyed at first because I like peace and quiet when watching the ocean. But they were good. Over to the grill area for a hot dog and fries and a little ice cream. Walking back with my cone through the adult area heading to my forward elevators I find 8 crew members in white uniforms. Apparently a young guy had taken a spill down the stairs and they were checking him out. Tried not to stare because did not want to be rude, but he seemed ok- no bones protruding. Hope he was ok but confirmed that I was right to take the elevator! Back down to the room. Another glass of wine on the balcony then changed and to the villain show. Maybe I was not in the mood, or maybe it was cheesy but did not enjoy this one. Part of the problem was the late comers again. At one point some lady is giving me a long drawn out explanation as to what seats she needs and why and I finally said I don't care. Took her by surprise, but she was interrupting the show to tell me something no one other than maybe a usher would care about. More people squeezed in and finally I have some guy elbowing me for an armrest even though he got there late, he has decided to be territorial about the armrest so I was done. I stopped at the stores and bought 2 of the black Vera Bradley Mickey designs, they are sold they are sold out in the park. So if you are interested, they had the complete line in the black pattern. Limited 2 per cabin...so I did not try to get more... I went back to my room and caught the end of villains on the television. Much nicer than fighting the crowds. I had read you could do so, but I like to see shows live...but honestly, the tv was a much better view. Then off to Palo hauling my bottle of champagne which made me really popular. So in the future, if you want to make friends, carry a bottle of champagne...or wine...or any liquor would work. Another tip. The only way to access Palo/Remy is the aft elevators. Dinner at Palo was great. Waiter was awesome. Had the pizza bread, caprese salad, seafood risotto, mushroom risotto, filet, and tiramisu. No corkage for champagne. Cost $25 and worth it. I could not decide between the risottos so they gave both. Still could not decide-the mushroom went well with the beef. But the seafood had such an interesting flavor... When I did not order the soufflé, they insisted on sending soufflé. The restaurant manager hand delivered it to my room. I stayed in the room and watched the fireworks from my balcony-I was starboard with soufflé...not a bad way to end the day.

Hi all!

This is a review of the Disney Dream from the solo/adult perspective. Loved the ship and am a Disney fan in general so expect a positive review. Also' date=' did not get to take advantage of as much as I wanted to on the ship for two reasons, one-short cruise and two-kept falling asleep. That said, it was the most relaxing vacation I have taken in a long time.

Day 1

-I spent two nights getting 4 hours of sleep so night before the cruise I was so tired I could hear color. Up at 5 am so I could repack my bags I had carefully packed 2 weeks ago. To the airport- I left extra time so was leisurely making my way through a crowded airport and enjoying the drama of those who did not plan so well. I wonder if the guy in the Hawaiian shirt who did not get to security until 30 minutes before his flight made it? The TSA agent and I thought not. Security thought I was hiding something so they swabbed my hands? Something new every time...picked up my paperbacks and snacks for the trip. Flight was on time. We landed in Orlando at 11:30. Straight to Magical Express- whisked on the bus immediately. Dropped at the port at 12:30 and again whisked through check in- walked on boat at 1 pm. Yes, they still do the announcements by name (poor castmembers who have to listen to that all day) but they use them to direct you to restaurants. I had planned on Cabanas but was advised to go to Enchanted Garden. It was closer and I had followed every other direction, so why not? Seated quickly, drink order taken- not quickly...then line for food. It moved slow when I was in it but that was due to small kids and older people gumming up the works. They had sandwiches- the tomato mozzarella ciabatta was the best. Seafood selection- I could not get my crab legs open, shrimp, mussels and lamb chops...I knew I would not wait in that line twice so I got some of everything. All very good. I sat and ate and read my navigator where I learned the drink of the day was the Bahamas Mama so I ordered one. The line went down quickly and 10 minutes after I sat down there was none- so if you are patient/ not hungry, you might want to wait to grab lunch. After finishing my drink/ lunch to the rooms which were open. Put away my things, found my cruise gifties- rainforest card, romance package, and extra bottle of wine- all there! Hopefully someone can open the champagne for me. The DCL bathrobe is the softest and fluffiness so am very pleased with the package. The chocolates are nice too. I ordered the Pinot Grigio wine and it not as good as the Target wine cube- don't laugh- those are great! But still good enough to drink. Still have not explored the ship...took my first nap of the trip...

Off to mandatory drill- my station was easy to find and lots of folks able to help. I was in the WDW theater. Drill lasted 15 min. Everyone must have showed up on time so yay fellow cruisers for being considerate of others!. Then to Deck 11- found adult area- looks nice- smaller than I expected. Ended up in the middle of the start of the sail away party. Too loud, too bouncy and too many kids. Too many adults too. Grabbed hot dog and fries- napkins were not to be found-learned they must be requested. I found a spot to lean and watched the introduction of the entertainment pep squad- not sure what they call themselves, but that was a lot of energy. Back to verandah for peace and quiet during sail away! Wrestled open the Pinot Grigio and enjoyed a peaceful sail away. Bon voyage!

Decided to go to the Golden Mickeys- got there at 6:10 to a half empty theater, picked seat on back row end of aisle and watched the show. I was super impressed. The usual disney cheese- stage manager forced to host the stage transformed into glamorous singer by the end, but they interspersed film scenes with good live action singing and dancing. Pet peeves- people continued to fill in until after 7 pm. By the time I left the theater was full. Also people using cells during show as well as flash photos. At this point we should all know better... I asked for a diet coke and got a bucket of popcorn cause I felt bad the waiter was just getting me a diet coke. The popcorn was good and the bucket it came in was cute so worth the $10. Not everyone would think so, I heard some folks complaining about the charges. Man, if I want to hear complaints about up charges I cruise Ncl. Kidding, love my Norwegians. Went into shops but so did everyone else...so left quickly. It is a short cruise and the stores are only open in the evenings. The only times they were crazy was when a show just let out. Dinner was in Enchanted Garden. I was seated at a table for 6 with one other girl, from India and traveling solo too. We had a nice chat so no crazy table mates. She was also a vegetarian and not a fan of the food. I had the mushroom tart- ok, romaine salad, eh, and the sea bass which was good. I had the sticky pudding for dessert. That was on the recommendation of the waiter, he was right. Waiters were attentive and service was great. I was impressed. They were very concerned that my dining partner did not like her food. The waiters are going to see that she has good Indian vegetarian food. Afterwards back to the shops but another show was letting out, so I walked the promenade deck and walked to the District. If I did not have a balcony I would live on that deck. Wandered through the district, got a cocktail at pink then watched a band, The district was hopping so there is nightlife on a Disney cruise. Unfortunately, I was tired so back to the balcony with a little wine, then trip diary and bed![/quote']

It seems like you did a lot (on day 1, anyway)! Nice review, waiting for more. Can I just make one request? Could you do paragraph breaks? It makes it a little easier to read. Thanks.

I slept in! Did not wake up til 7:30- Got breakfast at Cabannas-yay Mickey Waffles! Off the boat- cute statue of Olaf at the post office. 2 trams to Serenity Bay. Wow either we have a large percentage of adults only or a large percentage who did not like their kids but it was crazy crowded. To the point there were no loungers available...people were leaving their towels and stuff on the beach. The water is that Caribbean blue and the sand white, fine and powdery. The umbrellas were a mix of colors. I got the lavender one, but was glad later because it was more unique than the others. The water was ice cold at first but warmed up quickly. I swam, sunned, read and shocker- napped! I went to the BBQ at the adult beach and it was good enough-not gourmet but def. edible. Burgers and hot dogs with salads. The hot dogs were really good. Back to the beach where I completely passed out. I only had 2 drinks! Not sure if it is the sand, sun, waves or bonine, but I cannot remember the last time I slept this much! I woke up around 2:30 and realized if I stayed on the beach there was a good chance I could miss the boat. So I gathered my self up and headed for Tram 1. I stopped to shop and get some aloe Vera in a spray, because the shade the umbrella provided was not enough and I could already tell I had gotten too much sun. Back to the ship taking some pictures including an attempted selfie with Olaf. My tag line for this trip is I went to the Bahamas and took a nap... Easy to re-board-quick run through security-they wanted to hand inspect my cooler of water I bought on the island but otherwise, no issues. I took advantage of the Disney on Demand and watched two older movies while packing- Tarzan and Atlantis. Sat on balcony for a bit. Off to Remy's. An excellent meal- solicitous service. I chose to do the wine pairing. First, fried tomato soup, ratatouille with olive oil ice cream. I chose the saveur menu. It was excellent and I was stuffed by the end. Chilled salmon marinated in lime, salt and pepper. Lobster with a curry sauce. Chicken breast with a red sauce and yellow wine sauce on the side. Followed by a chocolate mousse. The wine paring was interesting. I enjoyed each glass. They were small pours, so maybe totaled 2-3 glasses of wine. The only one I did not like was the dessert wine. I was seated with a view out so watched the ocean until the sun set- on the wrong side for that. Overall not sure I would do it again. I might try the other menu. The dinner took 90 min but if I had gone for the cheese course and coffee, it would have been 2 hours. I decided to hit the shops again. Unfortunately, a show let out just after I arrived. This led to the only wait I had for the elevators the entire trip. I went back to the room and again was tired and so I went to bed...again!

Up at 6:45. Dressed quickly and stuffed my backpack. Off to breakfast at Animator's Palate. Met our third dining companion, a dental hygienist whose daughter worked as a dancer in the shows. My servers were very interested in where I had been the past two nights, then one began making fun of the Remy waiters and how slow they moved. He said he liked working in the main restaurants better because it was always hopping. Breakfast was excellent and I was sorry I did not try the other main dining options. My main complaint is how short the cruise is! There was so much more I wanted to do! After breakfast I hopped off the boat-it was easy. I just walked off...cannot remember any debarkation this simple. I grabbed a porter-poor guy...everyone was ignoring him so he was surprised when I said, I would like help. I highly recommend doing so because they help you find your luggage. Although, I spotted my luggage right away-it was very well organized. The porter steered me to the shortest line and through customs with no drama. Although the customs agent did not believe me when I said I had not bought jewelry...not this time! On the bus and a painless trip to the airport.

Disney is awesome-it is pricier than other cruise lines. So unless you like the Disney touches it may not be worth it to the adult/solo cruiser. I happen to be a Disney fan, so I enjoyed the Disney magic. There was so much to do onboard, I never got to try the Aquaduck although I noticed the lines were not long...just never had a chance. I also never got to watch any of the movies in the theater, which is something I had thought I would do. The dining experience in the main dining rooms is fine-you are seated with others and it depends on your companions as to whether or not this is enjoyable. I was lucky that everyone I sat with was pleasant. I had no issues sitting solo in the upcharge restaurants-they take extra care with you. Also, the adult area is very nice with the pool/bar and Jacuzzi. My cruise happened to be crowded so not sure what the norm is for the area. Other reviews said it was empty. I think it depends on the cruise itself as to how busy the area is.

It seems like you did a lot (on day 1, anyway)! Nice review, waiting for more. Can I just make one request? Could you do paragraph breaks? It makes it a little easier to read. Thanks.

Sorry-copied and pasted from trip diary. The rest of the entries are short. Hope you can read more easily...

Thanks for your wonderful adult solo trip review. The DH talked about a Disney Cruise which would be just us and I wondered if there would be enough adult venues. You really made my heart happy writing about your spa experience which is one of favorite ship activities.

I just have a few questions -

When you board is there an adult only venue for lunch or is it buffet only?

You read quite a bit which is my thing as well-was your balcony peaceful enough or was there quite a bit of noise?

Aside from the usual chair hogs who move from ship to ship and cruise line to cruise line was the adult area a good place to hang out during the day?

OK I admit to already "wishing upon a star" about the Disney Vera Bradley;)

Unfortunately, no adult only options for embarkation lunch...but if you time it right, you could order room service and have it on the balcony. I would probably take that option next time...my balcony was perfect for reading. I booked one of the rooms that you are warned against because the room next door had an extended balcony. Once or twice they were having a party and I could hear them, and they could see me...but it did not interfere with my balcony enjoyment. The adult area near the pool and bar is crowded- no chairs /loungers available. But I discovered the trick was to go up one floor. Plenty of loungers/ chairs and the bartenders come around regularly to see if you need a drink. Perfection!

Unfortunately' date=' no adult only options for embarkation lunch...but if you time it right, you could order room service and have it on the balcony. I would probably take that option next time...my balcony was perfect for reading. I booked one of the rooms that you are warned against because the room next door had an extended balcony. Once or twice they were having a party and I could hear them, and they could see me...but it did not interfere with my balcony enjoyment. The adult area near the pool and bar is crowded- no chairs /loungers available. But I discovered the trick was to go up one floor. Plenty of loungers/ chairs and the bartenders come around regularly to see if you need a drink. Perfection![/quote']

Nice room service for lunch on embarkation day and a place to relax...you are right definitely perfection!