Can you use cell phone free on alaska cruise?

cruisinsharilu

<snip>.... At sea however you will pay both the cruise line for using their cell service AND you will also pay the outrageous international roaming rates charged by you cell phone carrier .....

Unless it is the most over the too emergency, forget it as it's cheaper to pick up the phone in your cabin for 5 min than to turn your phone on in international waters...<snip>

I can't speak for other cruise lines, but on Royal Caribbean you DO NOT pay the cruise line for using the cell service, you are ONLY charged by your cellphone provider.

With my cell provider, ship roaming/international calls are $2.99/min, which is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the $7.95/min to use the ship's phone!

Now using ship wifi, or cell data roaming is another story! You're probably going to want to keep THAT turned off! That's what can give you an outrageous bill! :eek:

A helpful hint if you have an iPhone: You can use the Do Not Disturb feature which gives you the option of only allowing calls from your "Favorites" contact list to ring through.

I always turn off my data roaming & turn on my Do Not Disturb. I have made the occasional call, and text rather frequently. The highest extra charge I've had on my cell bill was around $30 after a 6 night cruise.

That's just MY experience with my carrier. YMMV, of course! :D

I need to correct two BAD pieces of information.

1 - If you make a cell phone call from the ship, you will not get two charges. The ship will charge you NOTHING. Your carrier, in almost all cases, will charge you $2.49 a minute.

2 - Think twice if you think the ships emergency number will get to you immediately. If you are out and about or ashore, you will not get the message until you return to the cabin. You will not be paged.

Okay, #3.

The only way you will get high charges is if you:

a) Have data roaming turned on

b) Answer and take lots of calls ($2.49 a minute)

c) Make lots of texts (usually a teenager)

We leave our phone turned on most of the time. Never spent more than $50 on a cruise. Usually less.

Edited by garycarla

$800 phone bill due to thinking my Data Roaming was off and phone in Airplane mode!!!! I am now very very Leary of turning phone on for anything but the most dire emergency.

Due to Status with cruise line I have 1 hour of free phone time which I rarely use for more than one call....

Have had excellent luck with the emergency cruise # and my own e-mail account on several different cruiselines.

Oh and the crazy phone bill was totally my fault and due to just being plain stupid as I DO know better. ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

I need to correct two BAD pieces of information.

1 - If you make a cell phone call from the ship, you will not get two charges. The ship will charge you NOTHING. Your carrier, in almost all cases, will charge you $2.49 a minute.

2 - Think twice if you think the ships emergency number will get to you immediately. If you are out and about or ashore, you will not get the message until you return to the cabin. You will not be paged.

Okay, #3.

The only way you will get high charges is if you:

a) Have data roaming turned on

b) Answer and take lots of calls ($2.49 a minute)

c) Make lots of texts (usually a teenager)

We leave our phone turned on most of the time. Never spent more than $50 on a cruise. Usually less.

Double check with your particular carrier...Sprint's international roaming on cruise ships is currently $2.99 per minute incoming and outgoing

Download an app called Viber..... saves you $$$$$ on texting......

Uncle Fester sailing from Las Vegas

Married on Monarch of the Sea 07-07-07

Celebrity

Princess

RC

Carnival

NCL

Download an app called Viber..... saves you $$$$$ on texting......

Uncle Fester sailing from Las Vegas

Married on Monarch of the Sea 07-07-07

Celebrity

Princess

RC

Carnival

NCL

From their website: "to other Viber users". Sounds like they need the app as well. Regardless of app or, just the plain phone, your data still needs to get off the ship (cellphone wireless or WiFi).