Freedom of the Seas, May 3, 2015 Not available for booking?

Yep, I know if I had paid signed up & paid their insane price - I'd definitely be counting on it being a full charter with the private celebrity chef and everything else that was promised.

I'm betting the number of people who actually booked & paid their prices is minimal, which is good, since I'd expect them to be livid once they're on board and discover everything they paid for and are NOT getting!

Agree.

The prices for this cruise are low but not especially in the JS category. $1,700+ is a bit high. I think that Maxwell may be holding some JSs.

Yep, I know if I had paid signed up & paid their insane price - I'd definitely be counting on it being a full charter with the private celebrity chef and everything else that was promised.

I'm betting the number of people who actually booked & paid their prices is minimal, which is good, since I'd expect them to be livid once they're on board and discover everything they paid for and are NOT getting!

Oh, I'm expecting that the people running this charter are going to be deluged with phone calls, and none of them pleasant.

I'd expect a free 90-minute hot-stone massage with that price nightly! I travel alone, so I'm at a disadvantage price-wise, but most of these jazz charters make it possible for singles to save some money. For what they're asking for a single, make that massage a 105-minute one.

Maxwell has finally updated their website and removed the description that stated this was a full ship charter. I don't think the Maxwell event is going to get cancelled -- I think it will still be happening -- just on a much smaller scale than originally advertised. I do think the Maxwell fans who paid for a full ship charter experience are going to be extremely disappointed (unless they get some kind of major refund). I don't think the cruise experience will be significantly affected for the rest of the non-Maxwell fans on this cruise.

There is NO WAY that I would pay that price and it not be a full charter. I'm paying $2,125 for the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage, but I know it will be WELL worth my money. There is LITERALLY something to do for almost 24 hours. Often times there are 3-4 concerts per day, plus the seminars and fun things going on all day. If I were booked on the Maxwell cruise, I would definitely demand a refund. Partial charters normally run from $700-$1000 and I would pay no more than that since the experience will not be the same.

I forgot to mention that almost half of the price I pay for Tom Joyner's cruise is tax deductible because the procees benefit a 501©(3).

Edited by Chyna3032
additional information.

Guys - read back along this thread. On Page 7, you'll find it. Detr0itvsEverybody has contacted the executive offices at Royal Caribbean. The Maxwell charter has been canceled by RC altogether.

It is not happening. Period. Not full, not partial.

To note, I maybe pay $3K tops to get my single cabin at Capital Jazz SuperCruise. It's more than worth the money, and the only time I paid slightly over $3K is the one time I went with a porthole cabin.

If I were booked on the Maxwell cruise, I'd be suing the living daylights out of them for not coming clean about the cancellation when it had taken place. They should NOT have continued to advertise after RC gave them the boot. I can't imagine they didn't know. I can't imagine they thought it would sell out at the prices they're asking. And it's making the promoter look worse and worse the more he prolongs giving people their money back.

Edited by LadyMage

Has anyone tried calling the Maxwell number to see if they are still allowing to book over the phone? Curious if they have truly stopped booking altogether.

They have stopped book. I called just to see. They didn't say it was cancelled, but they did say it was closed for booking. I'm sure it's really cancelled. There's no way that they could pay for all of those entertainers with a less than partial charter.

I'm guessing they will now be contacting the peopel that booked and either asking them if they want to come to one of their other events like they offered me or refunding their money.

They have stopped book. I called just to see. They didn't say it was cancelled, but they did say it was closed for booking. I'm sure it's really cancelled. There's no way that they could pay for all of those entertainers with a less than partial charter.

I'm guessing they will now be contacting the peopel that booked and either asking them if they want to come to one of their other events like they offered me or refunding their money.

Thank you for calling to check! I hope everyone is able to get their refunds. What a disaster.

Out of curiosity, what did they offer you?

They just said that they are booking some of their other events which were several jazz festivals. The only one I remember off hand is the Cancun Jazz Festival. I didn't ask for any other details.

They just said that they are booking some of their other events which were several jazz festivals. The only one I remember off hand is the Cancun Jazz Festival. I didn't ask for any other details.

I looked up the festival. Nearly identical lineup, and the prices are comparable to the cruise in their outrageousness. Just...no. Between hotel room, flight, tickets, it comes out to about $5K for a single person. NOPE. Not gonna happen.

What I want to know is this: how will they afford to put on the Cancun fest when the cruise would've cleaned out their coffers? I cannot imagine the liabilities at the end of a collapsed charter, nor can I think that their investors and sponsors would have anything to do with them after the cruise.

I looked up the festival. Nearly identical lineup, and the prices are comparable to the cruise in their outrageousness. Just...no. Between hotel room, flight, tickets, it comes out to about $5K for a single person. NOPE. Not gonna happen.

What I want to know is this: how will they afford to put on the Cancun fest when the cruise would've cleaned out their coffers? I cannot imagine the liabilities at the end of a collapsed charter, nor can I think that their investors and sponsors would have anything to do with them after the cruise.

I agree...

Wow, just wow...

If their prices for their latest attempted event are as outrageous as the ones that caused the cruise to collapse, they seem to be too stupid to learn from their mistakes! I agree with you about the failed charter cruise cleaning out their coffers, resulting in litigation, and running off their investors/sponsors. I don't say this often, but at this point I tend to think that the best ending possible is for the promoter to go bankrupt and disappear, so as not to continue scamming and defrauding the public!

I forgot to mention that almost half of the price I pay for Tom Joyner's cruise is tax deductible because the procees benefit a 501©(3).

I would definitely talk to a CPA about this.... if you're not writing the check out directly to the charity, you likely can't deduct ANY of the cost of the trip on your taxes.

The Tom Joyner Foundation (501C-3) provides the correct paperwork for your taxes....excellent way to support HBCUs & enjoy A Party With a Purpose

If the. 3 day weekend Cancun Jazz Festival in September is being offered as an alternative for the Maxwell cruise it makes the 8 day/night Capital Jazz SuperCruise 9 in October the :eek:deal of the century:eek: with enough change left over to deposit for SuperCruise 10

Will check on RCI website C&A page to see if being an Emerald Member qualifies me for a special rate on this sailing to fill the cabin void left by the Maxwell situation

There is NO WAY that I would pay that price and it not be a full charter. I'm paying $2,125 for the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage, but I know it will be WELL worth my money. There is LITERALLY something to do for almost 24 hours. Often times there are 3-4 concerts per day, plus the seminars and fun things going on all day. If I were booked on the Maxwell cruise, I would definitely demand a refund. Partial charters normally run from $700-$1000 and I would pay no more than that since the experience will not be the same.

Is the Tom Joyner cruise a full or partial charter? I always heard it was full charter.

Full Charter...this year on the Carnival Dream...Ford Motor Company is the title sponsor...for several years it was held on RCI, including 1 year on the FOS....most of the popular successful music charters sail fully berth (3rd & 4th berths in cabins at capacity) and sell out far in advance

Capital Jazz SuperCruise actually started as a way to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Capital Jazz Festival....this October will be the 9th straight sailing....this will be my 6th straight sailing & every year it has been a sell out on Carnival's Conquest fleet type (Liberty, Valor, Freedom) avg 3000+ guests....

Cruise lines know that these types of music charters attract 1st time cruisers who would not

consider cruising as a vacation option if it were not for the music, artists and full charter immersion.....it also attracts a younger demographic and yields a higher repeat business (on a yearly basis) and guests satisfaction experience post cruise survey results

RCI has extensive experience in these types of music charters (most current Dave Koz & Friends)so IMHO, the recent Maxwell experience should in no way reflect in a negative manner on RCI....hopefully the guests booking for the Maxwell cruise will exercise their options and still have time to experience a full charter :cool:Jazz Cruise with Soul :cool: featuring the types of artists they were hoping to see on the FOS

Wow... If they had just not updated their info then I would have thought they were just inexperienced but the fact that they delete facebook info makes them seem super deceptive. I don't see this company getting very far

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is another good example of 1) purchasing trip cancellation insurance with the cancel for any reason rider attachment....2) before depositing on a full charter or a group theme cruise on a regular sailing, to do extensive research before placing your deposit with a 3rd party that in turn, pays the cruise line for your cabin....

Hopefully, we will see some of the Maxwell guests on the Capital Jazz SuperCruise in October

I would definitely talk to a CPA about this.... if you're not writing the check out directly to the charity, you likely can't deduct ANY of the cost of the trip on your taxes.

If they issue you a letter summing up the deduction amount, you can. Letters are the key, and they're the proof that the IRS looks for in case of an audit. (I work for a CPA)

Wow, just wow...

If their prices for their latest attempted event are as outrageous as the ones that caused the cruise to collapse, they seem to be too stupid to learn from their mistakes! I agree with you about the failed charter cruise cleaning out their coffers, resulting in litigation, and running off their investors/sponsors. I don't say this often, but at this point I tend to think that the best ending possible is for the promoter to go bankrupt and disappear, so as not to continue scamming and defrauding the public!

Oh, indeed. I would definitely like to see this promoter get some just desserts for this.

Typically, if you fail at an event, the first thing you do is 1. Admit as much and, in conjunction, 2. Issue refunds to the customers. The fact that they'd rather delete the naysayers and "tactfully" close the booking is not the same thing as admitting, "Hey, this isn't working", and the longer that is delayed, the worse it looks for the promoter. Whatever reputation he had is now shot permanently; this will never be lived down.

Hattack - plan on it!! CapJazz Cruise is nearly sold out and the lineup isn't even fully announced yet! I'm pretty confident the Maxwell cruise stragglers will be partying with us this year.

And I'll check out the Tom Joyner cruise. If he rolls out a lineup I'd go to see, then I'm there! I love, love music charters.

The Tom Joyner Foundation (501C-3) provides the correct paperwork for your taxes....excellent way to support HBCUs & enjoy A Party With a Purpose

If the. 3 day weekend Cancun Jazz Festival in September is being offered as an alternative for the Maxwell cruise it makes the 8 day/night Capital Jazz SuperCruise 9 in October the :eek:deal of the century:eek: with enough change left over to deposit for SuperCruise 10

Will check on RCI website C&A page to see if being an Emerald Member qualifies me for a special rate on this sailing to fill the cabin void left by the Maxwell situation

Three days for the price they're asking is just...nuts. I go to jazz festivals routinely. Most of them are in Southern California, and at last check, they ask 1/3 of the price they're asking for tix alone! *facepalm* This, ladies and gents, is an example of People Not Learning Their Lesson.

I'm definitely going to book Supercruise 10. I'd love for them to consider the Celebrity fleet for the setting, though - my very first music cruise was on the Celebrity Century and that was a love at first sail. Is the capacity similar? I like the Carnival fleet A-OK though. Anywhere there's a martini bar is fine by me! :D :D

Payment is made directy to the Tom Joyner Foundation; the 501©(3), not to the cruise line. And yes, it's definitely tax deductible. I've turned the tax documentation in to my CPA for the past 3 years...no problems.

If they issue you a letter summing up the deduction amount, you can. Letters are the key, and they're the proof that the IRS looks for in case of an audit. (I work for a CPA)

Lady Magee, they do give us a letter. The amount I mentioned in my post was the amount listed on my letter from the Tom Joyner Foundation.