Opinions on Food in the Speciality Restaurants

dateacher

We feel it is very much worth the extra money. But that is subjective of course. My DH dislikes the MDR. I don't wish to eat in the Lido all the time.

We started out going a few times and kept adding in more lunches and dinners in the PG. ( Haven't been on a ship with the Tamarind yet ) Last cruise we tried the PG every night for 25 nights. That was a bit too much. Next cruise we will go every other night. That should work out well for us.

I need to second (third or fourth LOL) the Tamarind. My husband is not really a cruiser...and hates to spend money. But on our Eurodam Caribbean cruise last year he would have eaten at Tamarind every night...and paid more for it if he had too.

As it was we got 2 nights (including our last night) and it was awesome both times. You have to have the wasabi encrusted filet mignon...to die for!!!!

One more Tamarind fan. Ate in the NA Dec 2012 3 nights of the cruise. Some of the best Asian food I've had. Certainly worth the cost. And we had the best service we have ever had on a cruise ship.

I need to second (third or fourth LOL) the Tamarind. My husband is not really a cruiser...and hates to spend money. But on our Eurodam Caribbean cruise last year he would have eaten at Tamarind every night...and paid more for it if he had too.

As it was we got 2 nights (including our last night) and it was awesome both times. You have to have the wasabi encrusted filet mignon...to die for!!!!

The wasabi encrusted filet was my favourite also.

More votes forTamarind being the best specialty restaurant and well worth the price. We enjoy the Pinnacle usually about once a week, again worth the price. Canneletto we do not care for at all. We usually find something we enjoy in the MDR every evening for dinner. Breakfast and lunch will be in the Lido.

Hi da,

On our cruise on the Prinsendam, we were more than happy that we paid the extra for 4 dinners in the PG.

Think of it as dining out in a good local resto vs a special occasion.

Ira

Am looking forward to trying the Tamarind on some upcoming cruise :) So many good reports about it, and we have not yet been on a ship that has it.

You gotta plan better. Pick the restaurant first then the ship :D;).

One other foodie tip: This one is for the MDR. If you decide to order something and there is "another something" that you want to try, just ask your waiter. You can ask for a small portion of gnocchi for example, if you want to try it. Some times you will get a small plate. Other times you may get a full portion.

Our table mates a few cruises ago were the guest chefs for the voyage. We sort of made impromptu tasting menus when we wanted to try things. I try to make it a point to try things I wouldn't normally order when paying a la carte. If you don't like something you order, your servers will bring you something else.

Would love your opinions... ...just wondering if it's worth the additional expense.

IMHO, I don't think the >food< is any better or worse. The ambiance of the restaurant and the presentation of the meal are certainly better.

We've eaten in the PG several times but unless you're a red meat carnivore, you may not appreciate the up-charge. The Caneletto (on the Eurodam) was nice but they've added them to most (?) of the other ships as a segregated area of the Lido (IIRC).

We really enjoyed the Tamarind on Eurodam and will likely make reservations again on our OCT cruise.

Edited by grsnovi