Juneau Help and Advice Needed!!!

jormot

This is our first and possibly only cruise to Alaska. Our early July itinerary includes Glacier Bay and we have pretty much decided on what to do in Ketchikan (Misty Fjord Flight Plane) and Skagway (White Pass Rail) but are struggling with Juneau. One option is a very long 10 hour excursion into Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound, the second option is a whale watch tour with Harv & Marv. Both have space on the day we are in port. We really want to see Tracy Arm but it leaves us no time to see the rest of Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, Nugget Falls, etc. If we think of it as our one and only trip what would you suggest and why? I am overwhelmed by this decision and my husband is no help on this one :) He is equally excited about both prospects.

Only you can make the decision, but every port always has some tough choices. Personally I love the Adventure Bound trip but as you say it leaves out any chance to see anything else Juneau has to offer. I always mention that few cruises allow enough time in port to do this option and suggest taking advantage of it if you can. If you don't go to Tracy Arm there is more than enough time to do several tours including your whale watch.

In Skagway I'd recommend that you choose the longest train trip as the farther you get into the Yukon the more spectacular the scenery. The Lake Bennett trip is by far the best and book with someone like Chilkoot rather than thru the cruise line for a more personal tour. The ride to the Summit is OK, the train/bus combo better and Lake Bennett first choice IMHO.

This is our first and possibly only cruise to Alaska. Our early July itinerary includes Glacier Bay and we have pretty much decided on what to do in Ketchikan (Misty Fjord Flight Plane) and Skagway (White Pass Rail) but are struggling with Juneau. One option is a very long 10 hour excursion into Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound, the second option is a whale watch tour with Harv & Marv. Both have space on the day we are in port. We really want to see Tracy Arm but it leaves us no time to see the rest of Juneau, Mendenhall Glacier, Nugget Falls, etc. If we think of it as our one and only trip what would you suggest and why? I am overwhelmed by this decision and my husband is no help on this one :) He is equally excited about both prospects.

We did the float plane in Ketchikan last week and loved it! However, remember than it rains ALOT there and the float plane can be cancelled at the last minute, so I would have alternate plans at the ready.

As to your question - I would do the whale watch and tack in a stop at Mendenhall on the way back to the pier (most tours allow this option).

DaveOKC

Do the Adventure Bound trip! Not many itineraries get the opportunity to do both Glacier Bay and have enough time in Juneau for an Adventure Bound trip.

Tracy Arm is amazing! Although the Adventure Bound trip is primarily to see the Fjord and Seward Glaciers, you will see some amazing wildlife (up close too!).

Check out my Alaska pictures in my signature for some pics of Tracy Arm from May 2012 (midway through starting with the waterfalls).

Have a great time!

Edited by ikirumata

We have had the best luck with Whale Watching in Juneau. The last time (have been three times) we weren't even 1000 feet from the dock when a pod of Orcas were spotted in the area playing. We were so close to them because of the bay and the Orcas put on quite a show. If you plan it right, Harv and Marv also does a combo type excursion that will also include a trip to Mendenhall. The Glaciers are disappearing and you have to see them (as many of them that you can see). As for Tracy Arm - if you have a really good ships captain, you will see quite a lot from the ship.

When we first went to Alaska - we said it would be a "Once" in a lifetime trip. We are getting ready to go back for our 4th trip. You can't get enough of the state.

Have a great time what ever you do.

Okie

Exactly one year ago today.we were in Juneau , and doing a floatplane flight over the glaciers,we were worried that it would be cancelled as misty and foggy sailing into JNU, however it clear and the flight was spectacular.

In Skagway took a ships excursion White Pass and the Yukon, coach up to Carcross ,then back to Fraser BC for the train ride back, although a big bus the driver was excellent, it was his 3rd season, and was under the spell of the Yukon just like Robert Service s poem

It probably won't be your one and only cruise to Alaska but if so, see Tracy Arm--the trip down the fjord is spectacular, very different from Glacier Bay. Your choice of Misty Fjord Flight Plane is excellent, as is White Pass Rail (Do what someone else suggested, take bus/train trip to Frasier in Yukon)--scenery wonderful in Yukon! Our "one and only" cruise to Alaska was 2001, this year we'll take our 11th and 12th, northbound and southbound out of Vancouver.

Do Adventure Bound!

Honestly, if you see Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (Sawyer glaciers), both of these will be better than Mendenhall. Mendenhall is sort of a let down for me.

On both of my Adventure Bound sailings, we saw whales and bears. On one trip, we saw more whales then we saw through whale watching the previous week in Juneau. Of course this is not guaranteed but Adventure Bound will stop if there is wild life in the area to stop and enjoy!

Adventure Bound is the very best excursion I have been on in all of Alaska.

Edited by Coral

What about the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast? How would you rate that against the Tracy Arm excursion? It would allow us more time in Juneau to experience whale watching or the town itself? It does look pretty amazing. Also, how does Tracy Arm compare to Lynn Fjord or Misty Fjord? We are looking at those tours also in other parts. Trying to get a well rounded experience. Thanks

We mainly did land excursions on a 14-day Voyage of the Glaciers cruise and missed out on up close whale watching......and heard there were some fantastic up close encounters out of Juneau on those tours. You will see whales at a distance while on the cruise ship though.

Wanted to take the Roberts Mtn Tram for viewing but was socked in with fog and mist.......did an excursion to Mendenhall Glacier which we enjoyed and walking the paved trail to Nugget Falls.