OBC is gone and Carnival won't give it back

Be careful with promo's with onboard credit. If you later decide to upgrade you will lose that onboard credit since that promo is now removed. I found out the hard way and the carnival agent didn't even disclose that when he reviewed the cost. I tried with no success on the phone but they said sorry we will speak to the agent as a learning event. They gave me an email to write my complaint to but I'm still waiting for a response. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced. This will be my last carnival cruise if they can't make this right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely understand your frustration. And I agree that not all of the Carnival Customer Support Reps are all completely knowledgeable about ALL of the fare rules.

That's why I ALWAYS read the small print in the rules before calling them, so I too, am educated.

We had $150 OBC, and then another promo came up that was going to save us $400. We knew if we took it we would lose the OBC, but we still came out ahead.

Be careful with promo's with onboard credit. If you later decide to upgrade you will lose that onboard credit since that promo is now removed. I found out the hard way and the carnival agent didn't even disclose that when he reviewed the cost. I tried with no success on the phone but they said sorry we will speak to the agent as a learning event. They gave me an email to write my complaint to but I'm still waiting for a response. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced. This will be my last carnival cruise if they can't make this right.

All cruise lines do this. If you "upgrade" ...basically you cancel and rebook. They are now booking under new promo. I assume the upgrade was a better deal than you had.

Sorry you lost your OBC. We also did when we changed rate codes. Although the savings outdid the OBC amount. You do need to read the fine print before changing an existing reservation, as it is stated. Or, re-verify everything you currently have before making any changes. My TA is good at reminding me of this every time I want to change something.

If it is your last cruise with Carnival... make sure you remember this lesson for your next cruise with whatever line you choose.... it is pretty much a standard practice.

Edited by SUSIEK

That's why I ALWAYS read the small print in the rules before calling them, so I too, am educated.

I agree but I don't remember seeing in the small print that changing to a different rate code would remove any benefits from the existing booking. I know that's how it works and actually warn people about it when I can, but I just don't remember ever actually reading it anywhere. I'm going to go see if I can find it on Carnival's promo page.

Edit: I've been checking the promo legal terms here but cannot find where it says switching to a different promo will remove existing benefits. Somewhere I learned it was how things work, but I don't remember where I learned that.

Edited by Davey Wavey

All though the rep. Should have made it clear that if you switch from one promotion to another you will lose the previous promo perks, you should know that as well. To me it's a 50/50 split fault. I just recently switched from the 123 go rate to the military rate, although the switch benefits me, the first rate I booked required a $50 deposit, the military rate required the full $200 deposit. I knew when I switched I couldn't keep with the $50 deposit. It's a lesson learned, but worthy of never sailing with them again, No.

In my situation I was upgrading from an inside cabin to a balcony and I paid $300 to do that I was not quoted the fact that I would lose my hundred dollar OBC. So in essence I would be paying 400 for the upgrade so for my situation which is different from what other people have said they were willing to lose the OBC and still save money. Why should I be penalized for spending more money? This is about customer service and doing the right thing and not worrying about the little fine print. The hundred dollars doesn't make or break me but would go along way for carnival to restore my faith in their business. I on the other hand won't do business with someone who won't play straight with me

In my situation I was upgrading from an inside cabin to a balcony and I paid $300 to do that I was not quoted the fact that I would lose my hundred dollar OBC. So in essence I would be paying 400 for the upgrade so for my situation which is different from what other people have said they were willing to lose the OBC and still save money. Why should I be penalized for spending more money? This is about customer service and doing the right thing and not worrying about the little fine print. The hundred dollars doesn't make or break me but would go along way for carnival to restore my faith in their business. I on the other hand won't do business with someone who won't play straight with me

Seems there is more to it than that, you shouldn't lose anything just for upgrading rooms. What was your $100 OBC for ? Unless maybe that promo was not available any more.

I agree that Carnival should disclose this info to you upfront when calling customer service. There has been numerous complaints on CC about OBC and also change in deposit not being told to the customer. Carnival Customer service should be better trained and take responsibility for not advising customers of changes to your booking. There have been people who have said they were not told to give an additional deposit when makng a change, and the next day their cruise was cancelled because they did not have enough deposit down. Sorry, but this is not the way a corpporation should interact with their customers. Other companies over the years such as airlines and General Motors took their customers for granted, and they ended up bankrupt. Carnival should wake up and get their customer service in order

Sorry for those that lost the OBC, but when I book, my PVP goes over the whole spiel with me on loosing obc, etc., if I upgrade or change cabins, etc. under a different rate. I keep this in mind when I call when/if I see the price drop or a new promo comes out. In these cases, I wait on my PVP instead of just dealing with a regular rep, unless its something I think Carnival with change in 24 hours.

I agree but I don't remember seeing in the small print that changing to a different rate code would remove any benefits from the existing booking. I know that's how it works and actually warn people about it when I can, but I just don't remember ever actually reading it anywhere. I'm going to go see if I can find it on Carnival's promo page.

Edit: I've been checking the promo legal terms here but cannot find where it says switching to a different promo will remove existing benefits. Somewhere I learned it was how things work, but I don't remember where I learned that.

You are probably correct. Maybe I just KNOW that from everything I have read on here?:o:o

But if you are on a promo that HAS OBC and change to a promo that DOESN'T have OBC, you will lose it.

Live and learn, I guess.

I used to be a travel agent, PRE 9/11, however, LOTS has changed in the travel industry, but I still have a LOVE for it.:D:D

Smarter reps -- who are at least a little attentive to the customer's interests -- will alert you that the new sale price or lower fares will likely cause you to lose promotional OBC that was earned in a previous promotion. I've had one rep who spotted this and warned me, another who didn't (but I already was aware of it, thanks to posts like this on CC).

Those of us older than XYZ age can compare these promotional offers to the old Let's Make a Deal show; when Monty Hall would tempt a contestant with whatever was in the large box where Carol Merrill was standing, in exchange for previous winnings. Contestants didn't get to have both. One or the other.

It often does depend on what your OBC was from. We switched and kept ours. We booked while on board and we booked a "no penalty for cancelling or changing" rate. Our OBC was for booking while on board but if we had booked a rate with OBC and then we changed I wouldn't expect it to transfer.

It would only make sense that you can't get OBC from one booking special and then choose another special and take the OBC with you. I'm sorry but it is confusing and often the reps really don't know. That part is a shame about Carnival.

It's sort of like buying a t-shirt with a 25.00 rebate attached then taking it back to the store and exchanging it for the 100.00 silk blouse and still expecting the 25.00 rebate to go with it. But if that blouse had 25.00 rebate also at the time you bought the t-shirt then I'd think you should still get the 25.00 rebate..OH gosh I rambled. sorry

Edited by JustCruiseMe

The only types of OBC that remain if you change rooms or move to a different rate, etc. are the ones you get when booking a cruise while on a cruise and as a stockholder.

When I switched rates last year, I lost the $160 excursion credit I had when I booked. I changed room categories and when I did, that credit was no longer available. So I got a higher-priced cabin and lost the OBC. You get whatever perks are offered under the rate you choose at the time.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Our situation is even worse!! We booked and paid for our cruise under early saver. The rate contained a $150.00 OBC. In March that special sale was going on and it would lower our rate & also had a $150.00 OBC. We sent in the paperwork for the adjustment and it was approved. Next thing we know, Carnival is asking us for $26.00 more ( due to the rate change). OK??? So, we ask for the rate reduction and we end up with a rate higher than we already pain for?? My husband called twice to no avail and finally emailed asking to speak to a supervisor. That has been 8 weeks ago & NO RESPONSE FROM CARNIVAL!!

I am a past cruise agent for Cruises Inc. and would never have failed to respond to an ongoing problem from a customer. Carnival had top notch customer service at one time. I am not sure what happened to it! I am very disappointed!

I am a Carnival fan but I must say that the reps need some additional training. Since they added all these promos final payment due 30 days prior, kids sale free etc.. it appears every time we call we get a different spin on the rules.

I personally feel it is way more complicated than it should be and found it fascinating how much our cruise dropped and cabin availability increased at the 30 day mark. Presumably because all those 50 dollar deposits never bothered to make another payment.

Our situation is even worse!! We booked and paid for our cruise under early saver. The rate contained a $150.00 OBC. In March that special sale was going on and it would lower our rate & also had a $150.00 OBC. We sent in the paperwork for the adjustment and it was approved. Next thing we know, Carnival is asking us for $26.00 more ( due to the rate change). OK??? So, we ask for the rate reduction and we end up with a rate higher than we already pain for?? My husband called twice to no avail and finally emailed asking to speak to a supervisor. That has been 8 weeks ago & NO RESPONSE FROM CARNIVAL!!

I am a past cruise agent for Cruises Inc. and would never have failed to respond to an ongoing problem from a customer. Carnival had top notch customer service at one time. I am not sure what happened to it! I am very disappointed!

I am so glad you sent them a message hope everyone is as well they have lost control of the promos. At one point our cruise was totally cancelled fortunately I check the site daily and caught it and were able to get our cabin back. What a mess.

I am so glad you sent them a message hope everyone is as well they have lost control of the promos. At one point our cruise was totally cancelled fortunately I check the site daily and caught it and were able to get our cabin back. What a mess.

We are most likely going to have to try to find a number for a supervisor and call. Since then, I have been in the hospital for some pretty serious tests, and then traveling on my day job ( making up lost time), and planning my son's wedding ( 2 weeks before our cruise....our cruise was booked before they changed the date..Lol). I was going to let it go, because it wasn't worth putting myself through the added stress; however, it is important!

That's just the thing. You are switching promos. You don't get the best of both worlds. You're not adding on to a promo. If you trade in your BMW for a Kia, you don't get to keep the BMW. :p

My husband called twice to no avail and finally emailed asking to speak to a supervisor. That has been 8 weeks ago & NO RESPONSE FROM CARNIVAL!!

I have never gotten an email response from anyone in Carnival customer service. I have tried emailing people concerning my booking and I have emailed people at the players club. I don't even know why they have email addresses for some of these people.

Two things do strike me when it comes to fast action on Carnivals end. As soon as I push the send key to book a cruise it show on my Amex card and when it comes to surveys there is no shortage.

In all fairness to Carnival when I am due a refund or credit on my Amex it comes through just as fast as when I book.

Surely, at some point, the customer also has to take some responsibilty too. If you read the 'notes' on the bottom of your confirmation it will tell you right there that any changes to the reservation may result in loss of on board credit, or deposit changes. Mine says this..

GUEST NOTES

1) Early Saver: Changes made to the reservation may result in removal of the $50 pp deposit offer. If you find a lower cruise rate based on the total cabin occupancy & not from the booked ancillary services such as air, transfers, prepaid gratuities or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses contact your Travel Agent or http://www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver, group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. No name changes allowed.

If people read their confirmations thoroughly some of this 'confusion' could be avoided.

Surely, at some point, the customer also has to take some responsibilty too. If you read the 'notes' on the bottom of your confirmation it will tell you right there that any changes to the reservation may result in loss of on board credit, or deposit changes. Mine says this..

GUEST NOTES

1) Early Saver: Changes made to the reservation may result in removal of the $50 pp deposit offer. If you find a lower cruise rate based on the total cabin occupancy & not from the booked ancillary services such as air, transfers, prepaid gratuities or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses contact your Travel Agent or http://www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver, group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. No name changes allowed.

If people read their confirmations thoroughly some of this 'confusion' could be avoided.

People don't want to take responsibility, they want to blame.

Latest update. Persistence pays off. After 2 calls and 2 emails to Carnival the did the right thing and restored my OBC. One key point is that I sent 2 emails to guest relations and only received 2 auto acknowledgements with a commitment to contact me in 48-72hrs which they did not keep. I followed up today with a call and they finally came through.