Venice Hotel Recommendations

Tinkerbell2012

Husband & I are cruising Splendour of the Seas in June out of Venice, IT. Any recommendation for hotels in Venice for the 3 nights we'll be there prior to the cruise? Also welcome any advice on Venice sightseeing & excursion selection on this cruise if you have taken it (Turkey, Croatia, Santorina, etc) Thanks!

venice hotels are quite pricey so be prepared for sticker shock.

If you can easily manage your luggage on water buses and over bridges, you can stay almost anywhere in Venice and find more reasonable prices.

If you can't easily manage your luggage, you might to stay nr the pier area, Piazzale Roma.

Check out hotels in this web site. Look for 'number of bridges to cross".

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/venice-hotels.htm

Or use http://www.venere.com/venice

As for excursions at various ports, borrow a travel book from your library. There are books specific to Med cruises.... Rick Steves and Ann Vipond are 2 such authors.

We are staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky in June pre-cruise. Got great rate on Hotwire back in January or February.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at http://www.europeforvisitors.com/venice. It's hugely helpful.

And I think http://www.venere.com is great for finding hotels in the area and price point you want.

We are staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky in June pre-cruise. Got great rate on Hotwire back in January or February.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at www.europeforvisitors.com/venice. It's hugely helpful.

And I think www.venere.com is great for finding hotels in the area and price point you want.

I would second the Hilton--check the secret rates on hotwire, look for 5* hotel on Guidecca, and book it if the price is right. We paid $135/night three days ago for a fantastic experience, one of the nicest places I've ever stayed. Helps if you're a Hilton Honors member too

I would also suggest visiting HomeAway or VRBO for apartments/flats you might be able to rent during that time. A lot of times you can find a place for much cheaper with more amenities (Kitchen, full bath, etc.)

Husband & I are cruising Splendour of the Seas in June out of Venice, IT. Any recommendation for hotels in Venice for the 3 nights we'll be there prior to the cruise? Also welcome any advice on Venice sightseeing & excursion selection on this cruise if you have taken it (Turkey, Croatia, Santorina, etc) Thanks!

We booked Una Hotel Venezia for post cruise accommodations for a similar itinerary in 2010. Lots of positive reviews. Comfortable beds, spacious bath, good breakfast buffet. It is roughly 15-20 minute walk away from main attractions, but, along the way you can stumble upon some great sites and restaurants that aren't in the 'tour guide' book. We had pre-arranged pick up from the hotel (private water taxi) and it was O'dark-thirty when they picked us up. Worked out quite well.

Don't know if it's too late to book; but we stayed at Rialto Hotel next to Rialto Bridge. When you get off the water taxi; you walk into the front door of hotel. Plenty of shopping and dining there. About ten min walk to St. Marks Square; and they offer american breakfast with price. wife and I sailed on Splendour; we loved the ship and ports.

Edited by AF-1

Don't know if it's too late to book; but we stayed at Rialto Hotel next to Rialto Bridge. When you get off the water taxi; you walk into the front door of hotel. Plenty of shopping and dining there. About ten min walk to St. Marks Square; and they offer american breakfast with price. wife and I sailed on Splendour; we loved the ship and ports.

we just booked the rialto hotel.. did you take a private water taxi or use the public water taxi to the rialto stop?

we booked a private water taxi thru travel agent; paid for airport to hotel, then hotel to cruise port. Worked out great. You get off taxi and walk into lobby of hotel. Hotel is in a great place and its a nice hotel.

Edited by AF-1

Just got off of Splendour and stayed a night in Venice at all'Angelo. Be prepared for expensive prices as well as the city tax to be paid in Euros. We were very pleased with this hotel, especially the kind help of the concierge. Very close to San Marco. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are lots of options (maybe too many!) depending on what type of experience you want to have and what you want to spend.

To avoid time and money spent on water taxis, we've stayed at two different hotels on Piazzale Roma, both times in August when the prices were lower. Staying at or near this square makes it easy to take the inexpensive airport bus. Prices are higher this year against the Canadian dollar :rolleyes: so, because we don't mind managing our own luggage to the train station, for September we've booked the Best Western Bologna in Maestre, just a few-minute train ride away. We've not stayed anywhere that involves a water taxi as I've read they can sometimes be as expensive as the hotel stay. :eek: Good luck with your search. Venice boggles the mind.:)

If you can manage your luggage easily, to get anywhere in Venice via public transportation, exit the luggage area of the airport. There are ticket windows when you exit where you can buy bus and Vaporetto tickets. It's less than €10/person for a one way ticket. Bus ticket in hand, exit the build and walk straight ahead. You'll see the buses. Ask the driver, "per Piazza Roma" (to piazza Roma)? Validate your ticket in the machine in front of the bus door, stow your luggage underneath the bus and you're on the way. Once you get to Piazza Roma, you can transfer to the Vaporetto.

For a hotel, try Pensione Guerrato, just at the Rialto Mercato stop. Rick Steve's tours tend to book them up, but it was centrally located, so if you can get it, it's a good option.

To get to your cruise, you can try posting a note in your hotel lobby to see if others are going to the cruise port. Someone did that last year, the hotel arranged a private water taxi. It was about €15 each and took us directly to the ships. So convenient, luggage porters meet the private taxis so you walk to the debarkation terminal with just your carry ons. Our taxi even made two stops as we were not all on the same ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In Venice I highly recommend staying in Piazzale Roma- take my word for it. The best hotel I have stayed at in Venice is the http://www.mgallery.com/gb/hotel-1313-hotel-papadopoli-venezia-mgallery-collection/index.shtml

The rooms are spacious and the large bathrooms are modern. This is a luxury hotel by any standard and is just a short walk over a tiny low bridge from Piazzale Roma- no problem.

Ca Doge' was also be a good choice- there is no elevator but they will assist you with your bags. http://www.cadoge.it/

This is in Piazzale Roma and the bus to and from the airport drops off right there. Easy to locate and good reviews but I haven't stayed there.

The Santa Chiara is also right in Piazzale Roma and is a nice hotel with elevator and it has ambiance. http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/en/

I have also stayed at the Hotel Antiche Figure which is not too far from Piazzale Roma but it is hard to get there with luggage. There is an easy way and a hard way- I didn't discover the easy way until after I had carried my bags over a huge bridge. This is a nice hotel but not better than the previous ones I mentioned. But I give it my stamp of approval.http://www.hotelantichefigure.it/

If you really want to stay in St. Mark's Square- the Bauer has very nice rooms but is pricey- they do have a ramp for the water taxi and you could splurge and take a water taxi from the airport (100 Euros) and to the ship (100 Euros) http://www.lhw.com/hotel/Bauer-LHotel-Venice-Italy

I've also stayed at the Metropole, which has really small rooms but a great lobby and ambiance which made up for the lack of space. http://www.hotelmetropole.com/

Two years in a row I stayed at the Hotel San Marco, which was perfectly fine and in a little alley right by St. Mark's Square. Double rooms are small. We were in a triple which was spacious. Decor was dated and typical of a lot of Venetian hotels.http://ambassador.hotelinvenice.com/

The other hotels I stayed at were not great- so I won't even mention them here.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Loved it!!!! Great location - staff were so friendly, gorgeous outdoor garden, amazing morning breakfast and gorgeous outdoor garden area. Plus, best gelato place right around the corner.

Very easy to get to from Piazza Roma.

Are you referring to Best Western Olympia?

rebeccalouiseagain, of all the venice hotels you've stayed in; which one can you get off the water taxi and walk into the front lobby? I have stayed at the Rialto which you can do this; we are looking to stay in different hotel and different area of venice; I have also stayed in Grand Hotel. thanks

The Bauer has it's own little dock by the lobby. Easy in and out. No problem. Loved our room there- very nice place to stay. Spacious and luxurious. BTW- definitely call a travel agent because my travel agent got a much better rate than I did when I booked through the hotel. Also- weekends are going to be more expensive than a weekday. So if you are trying to decide which leg of your trip to stay overnight- keep that in mind. You'll save a considerable amount on weekdays and of course it's a little less crowded in Venice then.

The Metropole also offers a water taxi ramp for easy in and out. This hotel has small rooms though. I was unimpressed with the rooms but the lobby is a fun place to hang out and I did like it. But it's a far cry from the Bauer.

There are other hotels that also do have drop off at the lobby but I haven't had first hand experience with them.

My friend stayed a the Hilton Stuckey and when she booked the hotel told her exactly how to get there using the Alilaguna but a water taxi can drop you off there too. She LOVED this hotel. They offer a courtesy shuttle to and from St. Mark's Square, rooms are spacious and it's a huge hotel.http://www.molinostuckyhilton.com/ I will probably give this place a try on my next trip to Venice in 2015. It's one of the only hotels that I know of (besides on the Lido) that has a rooftop pool.

For the price though- the Papadopoli was my favorite. It's in Piazzale Roma and you can save by taking the bus to the Piazzale and then it's a little walk over a small bridge. Good value- nice beds, large rooms and big modern bathrooms. You can reach it by water taxi. They have a dock there at the hotel out in front but it would probably be quite expensive from the airport if that is where you are coming from. If you are coming by train- it's very close to the train station and the water taxi will run about 90 Euros. Unfortunately that's the minimum price you are going to pay for one.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

LOVED the Hilton and did arrive by water taxi. I wouldn't pay the regular rate but we got an incredible deal on Hotwire. We paid more for our Hilton Garden Inn in Elko NV a few days ago, and our Gold status got us exactly nothing. At the Molino Stucky we were upgraded to executive floor, right on the Guidecca Canal, great breakfast and snacks, wine, beer and soft drinks available almost all day long. But even without the upgrades it was a fantastic deal for Venice at $135/night.

Rialto and San Marco areas are packed with people and will be even crazier in June. We just returned and spent 4 days at Ca Pisani (pronounce Kah), which is a boutique hotel (35 4 star rooms) in the Dorsoduro section of Venice near the Guggenheim museum. What is great is location, away from the main walking and congregating routes, but 3 minutes to the Accademia vaporetto on the grand canal and 3 minutes to the Zattere vaporetto on the other side. Close to good restaurants that are less focussed on the tourists than at Rialto or San Marco. 10 minute walk to San Marco and high end shopping, 15 to Rialto and pretty quiet at night. Great staff, warm welcome, great breakfast included. There are tons of boutique hotels around, you just have to find one. My advice, find a travel agent who knows Venice and I mean knows it and has been there. Our travel agent told us about a Ca Pisani (she gave us 3 or 4 choices and then we investigated and chose this one but on line, all were comparable and well located. ) Staying at a Hilton, Westin, etc in Venice seems almost sacreligious. Why go to Venice and stay in a North American hotel? Defats the purpose, don'tcha think? Go local.