Capetown to Hong Kong-U S dollars?

crowpro

By and large people do not want the US dollar - they prefer their local currency. One exception is Zimbabwe but you are unlikely to go there on your cruise!! Another that you well may go to is Vietnam. Otherwise get the local currency at an ATM (most of the cruise ports have them). You can use your home bank ATM card.

Why don't they want the dollar? Because over the past 20/40 years it has dropped like a stone!! And one never knows from day to day what the rate will be. Plus they then have to take it to a bank or moneychanger to change at a bad rate. people might however be happy to take a USD as a tip - but not for merchandise and services.

Edited by Hambagahle

We just completed this cruise and yes they accepted American dollars. For some places you will not get a very good rate of exchange, but you will need money for drinks while on tours, souvenirs if you wish to buy some. I would make sure you have South African Rand as they were not fussy about American dollars there. All other countries were fine with the exception of Singapore.

It always amazes me that we Americans want to use our dollars in other countries; but we will not accept their currency here for a purchase or even a tip. We are so provincial - we want it both ways!! JMHO Arloene

I used local currency in most countries if I had it. In the Maldives, we went to a resort and no time to change to local currency, so used US. Yes, there we did get a terrible exchange rate. In quite a few countries now since their currency is fluctuating so much, they actually prefer the US currency. Not true for everywhere though. I can understand why people ask if they can use American, because if you are on tour and don't spend all the local currency, you are stuck with it because there is no where to exchange it. I did note though that the South African rand was accepted in all African countries willingly.

. I can understand why people ask if they can use American, because if you are on tour and don't spend all the local currency, you are stuck with it because there is no where to exchange it.

Not a problem for me as I collect the currency from all the countries we have visited as a souvenir. In fact, I usually want more of it rather than less :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the Singapore to Hong Kong leg last February. What I do is Google each country's currency that is on the itinerary for any cruise. You then learn what is acceptable whether just their currency or US$. We then purchased the proper currencies from local exchange before leaving for Singapore. My husband gets just enough for airport taxi and to get us started in a city. We label envelopes with local currencies for each port. We keep all in stateroom safe so it is easy to get to. USD was quite acceptable in Vietnam and also Cambodia stop as you will learn when you do the research. I had a chuckle when two women went to Reception and asked about USD and they were told "No Madam...you are in Hong Kong". Some people do not have a clue. If you don't want to come home with foreign currencies then go to exchange before leaving a port.