Platinum Carnival cruiser tries Princess

golfadj

We have done about 25 Carnival cruises and have thought entertainment has gone downhill in a big way in past few years. Also tired of same old Caribbean cruises.

As a result we booked and are just back from our first Princess cruise a 15 day TA to Europe and thought I would offer some comparisons.

The ship was the one year old Royal Princess and she was a beautiful ship.

Holds about 3600 people and heard it was about 80% full.

We had most breakfast and lunches on Horizon court (their version of lido) and never had to wait on a line or had a problem finding a table.

On Princess no need to go get your own drink. Sit at your table and crew would come over and ask what you would like to drink and get it for you.

Went up to item we wanted and at most had one person ahead of us. Was amazing that during peak times they had enough food areas to spread us all out.

We had an obstructed balcony and would say room was a little smaller than on Carnival but had larger closets and larger shower.

Seem like DR staff had less people and service was outstanding. Was nice to see a whole new series of menus. Food was a little better than Carnival with better steaks for sure.

Went to the steakhouse the last night and DW and I both thought the Carnival ones we have gone to were better.

Entertainment was very different. Typically entertainers would have one evening in main lounge and a second one in the back lounge.

Had a comedian (Al Katz, best one we have ever seen at sea), three magicians (two outstanding and one rather pathetic) and than on successive nights violin player, sax/ clarinet, opera singer, pianist and we also had three production shows. Every night we had professional entertainment.

There were a lot of sea days and for each port they had a lecture on the port for people who wanted to explore independently. Still offered Princess tours but not in a pushy way.

We had a fabulous time and will be sailing on Princess in the future. Are we done with Carnival? No we are not mostly because we have a lot of friends still wanting to sail on Carnival and we will have a great time with them.

Let me know if you have any serious questions.

Thank you for the review. I've seen pictures of the Royal Princess and it really does look beautiful. Doing a TA to Europe must be a great experience. Hearing how relaxed and spread out the food options are in the lido makes you wonder why Carnival can't figure that out. The lido buffet has to be my least favorite part of Carnival. I think we saw Al Katz on Carnival and remember he was very funny. We have friends who recently sailed Princess and Royal and said they aren't persuaded to stop sailing Carnival either. They liked a lot of things about both, but still think some things were better on Carnival. Guess there isn't a perfect line.

Thank you for your review. We are on Platinum on Princess and Diamond on Carnival. Really looking forward to trying the Royal Princess also. :)

To be fair, Lido on the Royal Princess from what I have read is quite different from the rest of the Princess ships. On the rest of the Princess, Horizon Court is quite small and crowded. On ships with Cafe Caribe, it is another option and for some reason, was never crowded whenever we ate there. Maybe, because it is at the back of the ship and some people don't know about it???::confused:

One point you made is so true. Cruising is sometimes more about the friends you cruise with and / or meet rather than the ship or cruise line.:)

Thank you for your review. We are on Platinum on Princess and Diamond on Carnival. Really looking forward to trying the Royal Princess also. :)

To be fair, Lido on the Royal Princess from what I have read is quite different from the rest of the Princess ships. On the rest of the Princess, Horizon Court is quite small and crowded. On ships with Cafe Caribe, it is another option and for some reason, was never crowded whenever we ate there. Maybe, because it is at the back of the ship and some people don't know about it???::confused:

One point you made is so true. Cruising is sometimes more about the friends you cruise with and / or meet rather than the ship or cruise line.:)

Hiya Mary..........I see y'all were on the Miracle last month, was that for Alaska or Hawaii? Donna and I really miss sailing with you. Any plans for another Carnival cruise this year? We'll be on the Magic in August.

We're both Diamond as well but have never sailed on anything but Carnival ships. If Princess has a ship in Galveston we might consider it just for the experience. We would also consider HAL but we'll probably stay within the Carnival Corporation family for at least past guest pricing.

Royal is the first of a new class and others have commented that their are some crowds on other Princess ships but not as much as Carnival.

Royal uses the steakhouse as a pub lunch venue and also has a free italian restaurant open for lunch so it helps disperse the crowds. Also an int cafe downstairs with some very nice offerings which further helps.

I concur with your assessment of "Princess" 100%. We too, are "Diamond" on Carnival, but do an occasional "Princess" cruise as well. (Others too, but that's a different story.) ;) I agree that the most obvious difference is the buffet, and the service offered in the "Horizon Court". Never a dirty table, and as noted, you sit down, and there is someone there almost immediately to serve your drink, and bring your silverware. Very nice difference. :cool: Entertainment is absolutely better than the "Playlist Production" shows now offered on Carnival, but they're making changes to those shows as well, and perhaps in the future they'll be better. Bottom line, you won't go wrong with a "Princess" cruise. Very nice indeed.

"SKY"

Seeing the service level is higher on princess.

How much would the same cruise cost on carnival vs. princess?

No way to compare as right now Carnival is not doing TA to Europe or European cruises at all.

I concur with your assessment of "Princess" 100%. We too, are "Diamond" on Carnival, but do an occasional "Princess" cruise as well. (Others too, but that's a different story.) ;) I agree that the most obvious difference is the buffet, and the service offered in the "Horizon Court". Never a dirty table, and as noted, you sit down, and there is someone there almost immediately to serve your drink, and bring your silverware. Very nice difference. :cool: Entertainment is absolutely better than the "Playlist Production" shows now offered on Carnival, but they're making changes to those shows as well, and perhaps in the future they'll be better. Bottom line, you won't go wrong with a "Princess" cruise. Very nice indeed.

"SKY"

Have not heard they are making changes to playlist. Saw two shows in Feb and walked out on both. Can only hope they realize they are a disaster and make appropriate changes.

I had been looking forward to your review on the Royal Princess since we are booked on her in October. Unfortunately, it seems like we'll have to cancel due to work obligations (it's a very positive move at work, but I'm bummed out about having to change my plans) :(.

Anyway, glad you had a great time! Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Hopefully we'll be able to do the Royal Princess in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had been looking forward to your review on the Royal Princess since we are booked on her in October. Unfortunately, it seems like we'll have to cancel due to work obligations (it's a very positive move at work, but I'm bummed out about having to change my plans) :(.

Anyway, glad you had a great time! Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Hopefully we'll be able to do the Royal Princess in 2015.

It is tough when life interferes with cruising but good that it is a positive change.

Was looking this morning about our next TA and found a real nice one (Regal princess the new one in this class) going Westbound but unfortunately it is in October and a commitment to our daughter will not allow us to do this.

Hiya Mary..........I see y'all were on the Miracle last month, was that for Alaska or Hawaii? Donna and I really miss sailing with you. Any plans for another Carnival cruise this year? We'll be on the Magic in August.

We're both Diamond as well but have never sailed on anything but Carnival ships. If Princess has a ship in Galveston we might consider it just for the experience. We would also consider HAL but we'll probably stay within the Carnival Corporation family for at least past guest pricing.

I though the Caribbean Princess sailed out of Houston for a while but just checked and they are out of Fort Lauderdale now. Maybe because so many of the Princess ships are in Europe for the summer. Check or fall listings and see if a Princess ship ports out of Texas.

Janey, you have mail.

Royal is the first of a new class and others have commented that their are some crowds on other Princess ships but not as much as Carnival.

Royal uses the steakhouse as a pub lunch venue and also has a free italian restaurant open for lunch so it helps disperse the crowds. Also an int cafe downstairs with some very nice offerings which further helps.

Love the a International Cafe. My favorite food venue on any cruise line. As you know, on Carnival, the Dream class and the Sunshine, there are other venues besides the Lido Marketplace. Also on the ones with the 2.0.

All comparable

Thank you for the insight, glad you had fun.

Not sure it is really much of a comparison though: A Carnival Carib cruise to a Princess 15 day on new ship sailing 80% full. Also the off-season which surely brought out a different clientele than what many CCL cruises have. Not that you even mentioned fellow passengers, just pointing it out. :)

Hi Golfadj...really glad to get your review and really glad you liked the cruise. Mine was quite some time ago when Star Princess was new and a 3 nite for the public and a travel agent group..my TA friend took me. Of course there were extras with that...but just objectively..LOL, how can one be..I loved it and glad you did too. I really loved the Horizon Court and the Broadway type Vegas show..that is how I would explain it..stories and songs and sets and many outfits and not just prancing around...and of course a real band. Of course on a TA there would be tons more and different for all those nights...glad it was good..glad Carnival still shines in some areas...

There were many areas on mine too withe smaller music groups and even a quartet..all kinds of live music in many venues all the time which I LOVED. I also remember a great lunch in Sabbatini's...it did not have a steakhouse then...

We had a LOVELY mini suite but that was with the TA..glad the balcony rooms are nice on the new builds. See what I mean about that closet thing I thought you might like...?? That exists a tad bit larger in mini-suites..but we looked at all the rooms..I just love that with another solo..even as a couple it is a nice divider at times I would think...WELCOME Home!!! Thanks for review....Sarah

Anyways soo glad you loved it and have 2 lines you know you like now and it was all still good.

Edited by sjn911

Have not heard they are making changes to playlist. Saw two shows in Feb and walked out on both. Can only hope they realize they are a disaster and make appropriate changes.

I've heard negative responses concerning the playlist but I have not seen them. The playlist was just another way for CCL to save money in the ling run IMO.

Gary

Hearing how relaxed and spread out the food options are in the lido makes you wonder why Carnival can't figure that out.

I think they have for a couple of reasons. First, the additional dining venues of 2.0 have made a dramatic difference IMO. Just off the Conquest and there were no lines to speak of anywhere (and this was during a major school vacation week). Definitely a dramatic improvement over pre 2.0.

Second, since both lines are owned by Carnival Corporation, I would guess there are no secrets between them. If one of them has something really "figured out", I would guess the other will soon follow.

Kevin C

Thank you for the insight, glad you had fun.

Not sure it is really much of a comparison though: A Carnival Carib cruise to a Princess 15 day on new ship sailing 80% full. Also the off-season which surely brought out a different clientele than what many CCL cruises have. Not that you even mentioned fellow passengers, just pointing it out. :)

Princess seems to sell to a different clientele than Carnival.

Carnival as I see it seems to be looking for a younger crowd, who will buy lots of drinks and fill up their sign and sail account.

Princess, at least for this cruise, had a ship full of 60 somethings out to see the world.

BTW sailed the Dream this past December and even though the ship was not full had lines all over lido.

It appears Princess has come up with a design to prevent crowds. Will know better probably next year when we will hope to do another TA probably on a older ship.

I am sorry too...you always have great reviews...but congrats on your work recognition and good luck on your cruising re-schedule.:(:)

Second, since both lines are owned by Carnival Corporation, I would guess there are no secrets between them. If one of them has something really "figured out", I would guess the other will soon follow.

Kevin C

What I really thought was strange was the differences in activities put on by entertainment staff.

Carnival has not had a new activity in years. Princess had several different games and events daily. DW and I were wondering why Carnival has not made any changes and thinking of putting this question to JH.

We have cruised on both Carnival and Princess and enjoyed them both equally. There are some things we like better on Carnival and vice versa.

To me, the deciding factor is the itinerary. As you can see, we have another Princess cruise scheduled in December. If Carnival or Royal Caribbean had the partial transit itinerary, we would probably have chosen differently.

Happy cruising to all!

Kevin C

oops no way to now comment on this comment without a new post.

We were on the Glory this past Feb and even with Guys and other venues along lido, had lines inside at all places. And rumor had it ship was not full.

We have done about 25 Carnival cruises and have thought entertainment has gone downhill in a big way in past few years. Also tired of same old Caribbean cruises.

As a result we booked and are just back from our first Princess cruise a 15 day TA to Europe and thought I would offer some comparisons.

The ship was the one year old Royal Princess and she was a beautiful ship.

Holds about 3600 people and heard it was about 80% full.

We had most breakfast and lunches on Horizon court (their version of lido) and never had to wait on a line or had a problem finding a table.

On Princess no need to go get your own drink. Sit at your table and crew would come over and ask what you would like to drink and get it for you.

Went up to item we wanted and at most had one person ahead of us. Was amazing that during peak times they had enough food areas to spread us all out.

We had an obstructed balcony and would say room was a little smaller than on Carnival but had larger closets and larger shower.

Seem like DR staff had less people and service was outstanding. Was nice to see a whole new series of menus. Food was a little better than Carnival with better steaks for sure.

Went to the steakhouse the last night and DW and I both thought the Carnival ones we have gone to were better.

Entertainment was very different. Typically entertainers would have one evening in main lounge and a second one in the back lounge.

Had a comedian (Al Katz, best one we have ever seen at sea), three magicians (two outstanding and one rather pathetic) and than on successive nights violin player, sax/ clarinet, opera singer, pianist and we also had three production shows. Every night we had professional entertainment.

There were a lot of sea days and for each port they had a lecture on the port for people who wanted to explore independently. Still offered Princess tours but not in a pushy way.

We had a fabulous time and will be sailing on Princess in the future. Are we done with Carnival? No we are not mostly because we have a lot of friends still wanting to sail on Carnival and we will have a great time with them.

Let me know if you have any serious questions.

Thanks for writing your review. I've been looking forward to it. Did you spend any time in Europe after your TA?

Hi Mary! We sailed together on the Magic TA. I hope all has been well.

Thanks for writing your review. I've been looking forward to it. Did you spend any time in Europe after your TA?

No we didnt have the time. Would have liked to spend a few days in Copenhagen but had to get back to real world and work.

Love the a International Cafe. My favorite food venue on any cruise line. As you know, on Carnival, the Dream class and the Sunshine, there are other venues besides the Lido Marketplace. Also on the ones with the 2.0.

All comparable

Int cafe had lots of desserts, sandwiches, salads and also an assortment of meat pies they would heat up upon ordering.