Movies on the Deck

Carol28

I was never forced to view movies under the stars. There were enough other places to be on the ship if I didn't like what was showing, or just didn't want to be exposed to it at all.

I am going to rain on this parade a bit. I know it is called Movies Under the Stars but a more accurate phrase would be old standard definition TV Under the Stars. The sound is high to compete with all the other noises up on deck including engines. It is not bad but I do feel a bit oversold. By all means give it a try. For the right show, I would try again but am content to find other activities after I snag myself some popcorn ... of course.

The Movies Under the Stars screen on Royal Princess and Regal Princess is definitely a much, much higher definition screen than the other ships in the fleet. This was the way it was described by Princess Cruises"

"On Royal Princess the Movies Under the Stars screen has taken LED technology and broadcast technology to the next level on a screen that's 30% larger than any of the other ships in the Princess Cruises fleet. This new wide-screen format is coupled with a high-tech audio/video system that will present first run movies, sporting events, and concerts..."

I watched several of the nature shows and new release movies during the two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess and really enjoyed the experience.

11566804803_7e2de19b2b_c.jpg

11262253805_0c5de2b033_c.jpg

11262253815_ff9aa86207_c.jpg

11492840444_4812a09702_c.jpg

I enjoy MUTS for the movies at night and am fine with it for the concerts during the day. The one thing I don't care for is the Wake Show being played on continuously loops in the morning; after the second time through, its a bit annoying.

We were so excited on our last cruise because they were showing a Mumford & Sons concert one night. We got our seats early and after it started, a couple sat down next to us and wouldn't shut up. We moved to a spot where nobody else was sitting and the same thing happened.

Why do people go to the movies to talk? We just left.

My husband and I watched Jobs late one night, on the upper deck of the pool area. It was perfectly centered and no one was in front of us. Every thing was wonderful for awhile.. then we heard her. This woman had the kind of voice that would carry across a crowded room, so imagine it on a quiet, open deck. She talked for a good 2/3 of the movie, then left about ten minutes before the end. So rude. We were so settled in those short blankets, all bundled up, that we figured it wasn't worth moving.

I am part of the "hate them w a passion" group. I do not do movies on land and do not see why I should be forced to see them on a cruise that I have paid good money to go on.

If I thought I could get away w it, I would love to throw a sledge hammer through the screen - remember the famous Apple Mac commercial?

DON

Oh well darn Don I am sorry. :(

Hopefully there are plenty of other things that you enjoy doing on the ship.