Prinsendam Explorations Lounge

Pettifogger

We've just returned from our seventh Prinsendam cruise and, until this one, we had never done anything in the Explorations Lounge except walk through it.

We must have already vaguely known that there was Adagio music there, a pianist and a violinist, but we had never stopped and listened. This time we did and we were enchanted. It was somewhat like visiting an English country house and, although there was no one listening young enough to be Bertie Wooster, there were couples in attendance who looked like they could have been his parents or grandparents.

I enjoyed the music more because each time I had a large cappuccino from the adjoining Java Cafe.

We also knew from Cruise Critic that homemade chocolates are available in the Explorations Lounge and we tried them for the first time. They didn't seem to me to be as sweet as commercial chocolates and I had several without being too distracted by concerns about the life expectancy of my teeth.

Unfortunately, we made these discoveries two-thirds of the way through our cruise so we won't fully benefit from them until next time. I wonder what else we've been missing.

My wife and I have had the pleasure of sailing on the Prinsendam four times. Every evening before dinner we would have our Martinis listening to the strings in the Explorers Lounge. We thought that this was one of the things that made HAL stand out among the other main line cruise lines.

We found the Explorer's Lounge to be our favorite place on the Prinsendam, especially during the evening. Close the the Java Bar and dining room.

We thoroughly enjoyed Roger and Jose playing there; I think they are the very best Adagio (or Rogerio) duo in the HAL fleet. They will arrange and learn anything you ask them if they don't already know it. On our only Prinsendam cruise, my DW asked for anything from 'Beauty and the Beast', which they didn't know. Roger downloaded the entire score and then arranged parts of it for piano and violin and at the end of our 31 days they proudly played it for her. We were sincerely touched. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

We have been on the Prinsendam 3 times and this August it will be 4. We do like the late seating for dinner and find the Explorer's lounge with the Adagio Strings is a wonderful relaxing pre dinner experience. Usually we will have a drink of soda or wine and take it into dinner with us. Frequently we also meet tablemates there for social time too. Ah, I can't wait for August. Yours, Naomi2

Not to mention that the staircase to the dining room is very close by ;)

We listen to the Adagios most evenings if not every on that ship. We have only been on two Prinsendam cruises, but both Adagios were very good in our opinon:D

It is a really nice spot, like many on the EE :D