Helpful Suggestions Please

As most of us are aware, we are in hurricane season and this appears to be a very early and active one. Any suggestions out there for people that have cruises booked?

I would say just be prepared to "go with the flow". Ports can be cancelled, delays could occur, your cruise could be shortened or lengthened. It's the price we pay for sailing during hurricane season. This will be our third trip during hurricane season. It's worth it to us to take a chance since the prices are so much cheaper. Hey, it's vacation and it's all good.

We cruised 2 weeks ago and have another one on Sept. 1st. Take lots of Bonine, ginger, tums and pepto-bismol!;) Those of us that book during hurricane season need to be prepared and then just sit back and enjoy the cruise, no matter what mother nature throws our way!!;) :) :D

Buy trip insurance that covers you if you are not able to get to your ship because of weather, among other things. :)

If an active storm is forming, follow it closely.

Check with your TA or the cruise line directly regarding any announcements they have made regarding itinerary changes.

Most of all, be flexible. I've been on hurricane "mystery cruises" before, with itinerary changes. Go with the flow, it's still a vacation, right? ;) Enjoy yourself, no matter where you end up. That's what I plan on doing on my hurricane season cruise! :D

be prepared for changes

Last year on August 12, the Sovereign left Port Canaveral 3 hours early at the request of the Coast Guard. Hurricane Charley was coming in. Lots of folks missed the cruise.

We were 8 couples meeting at the ship. Some were contacted be their travel agents early in the morning (to get to the port as soon as possible) , some were not, but we were able to get the word out to our group. BYW – we did check the RCCL web site early in the morning (from the hotel on the road) and there was no posting of the ship leaving early.

If you can, arrive at port with time to spare. Overnight is best, but if that is not possible – then way before the ship is to leave.

The sail away party was inside; all the outdoor furniture tied down, and limited area to walk outside the first evening. We were amazed how calm the seas became after the first few hours. We even made it to Coco Cay.

Have a safe trip

Marci

This will be cruise #2 during hurricane season. Luckily, #1 didn't have a storm anywhere close.

We're prepared to have itin changes, even though we're at the TAIL END of the season. I'm not a big fan of at sea days, but I understand that an additional at sea day could be added. I heard that the same cruise I'm taking rerouted to Nassau and a sea day as opposed to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The way I look at it, if we're rerouted, I have an even bigger and better argument to book another cruise ("But HONEY, we completely MISSED Mexico...). We're taking my DH's Dad on this next cruise. He's a first timer. He's REALLY looking forward to Cozumel. I hope beyond hope it won't get cancelled due to a storm. If it doesn, we'll all just book another cruise that goes there on-board and consider the benefits of booking on board our compensation for missing Mexico. I'm excited that the Freedom does Mexico, that MIGHT just be the one we book (missing Mexico or not).

:) Whatever happens, HAVE FUN. It's like DH and I said about our little "mishap" on Route One traveling back from Key West. "Everything didn't go perfectly, but we have a great story to tell..." :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=167572 for details on what happened on our "Key West drive". Complete with some pretty amazing pictures.

Not hurricane-related, but will probably leave alot of people stranded at the dock, literally, on New Years, if this little detail is not fulfilled:

By December 31, 2005, passports will be required for all air and sea travel to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, and Central and South America.

JerseyGirl23, Thanks for the valuable information. I guess that will put a stop to the "should I get a passport" threads that occasionally po-up.

and I don't want to read "Royal Caribbean refused us at port"! I'm suing them for loss of cruise, hotel, airfare, pain, suffering, and the liquor I purchased to smuggle onto the ship!

BTW, the "Carribbean" also refers to that little 3-night weekend Bahamas trip you have planned.

We are booked at the height of hurricane season this year as it coincides with my 30th birthday. We've taken procautions like flying in a few days in advance (the plan is to get a jump start on vacation, the reality may be that we need those buffer days to get down to San Juan if there are storms a-brewin'). We have 5 ports on the itinerary, and while we're excited to visit some old favorites and to see some new places, we won't be crushed if we get rerouted and miss some. But I think the most important mindset to have is to realize that our plans may change. We find RCI to be a reputable, reliable company and if they decide we need to miss a port or take an entirely different route, we will know they are acting in the best interest of their staff and passengers. Hope it misses us, but frankly, if I can be on the AOS, by the pool with a Mango Tango, I'll be happy.

Archived