Port or starboard balcony on a Southern Caribbean cruise

amyh13

At one time I would have thought this question was odd. Last year we took the Dream/eastern. We had a port balcony and had some awesome views while in port. Took virtually the same itinerary on Disney this year starboard and viewed the cargo areas at the same ports.

We are considering the 8 day southern (Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk). Which side??? Is anyone familiar with these ports?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just got off an 8 day southern on the Breeze.

Grand Turk always = port side

Aruba= port side

Couldn't say about Bonaire, we had Curacua which was port side.

BTW, Grand Turk you will love. Short walk off the pier to beach and Margaritaville, which has a great pool (free).

Edited by HawkIVette

In Grand Turk, your ship will have a 50/50 shot of being Starboard to the pier which will put Port looking over the island. If it parks Port to the pier, you will have another ship blocking the view and Starboard looking out at the ocean.

Aruba almost always has Port to the dock and over looking the island. In fact I have never seen a picture or the web cam view of a ship docked starboard to the island. Starboard will have an ocean view.

Bonaire from the pictures of the port I have seen also appears to have Port to the dock and overlooks the island. The Starboard would then have an ocean view.

I don't think any of those ports have a "cargo view". It boils down to if you want to relax on your balcony with mostly an ocean view (starboard), or watch the pier runners (port).

Edited by ferfoodle
oops: forgot to mention Grand Turk in the 1st paragraph

I want a picturesque view. Ocean, beach, island. Not necessarily the pier. So port??? If I get a blocked view from another ship that is okay. Sometimes the other ships are fun to look at too.

Both times in Grand Turk we were the only ship and starboard side of the ship was against the dock. Had some nice photos of the ship from the beach. So for that stop, port side is good IF you are the only ship there.

Agree Aruba we are always port side to the dock. Not particularly fabulous views at this port.

I want a picturesque view. Ocean, beach, island. Not necessarily the pier. So port??? If I get a blocked view from another ship that is okay. Sometimes the other ships are fun to look at too.

It's pretty much a crap shoot. You really have no way of knowing which side of the dock ships will dock at, and whether they will back in or not.

Edited by MissKIA

If the ship you are booking has a web cam check it daily to see where it usually docks and which way it faces. Even better is the port cams which show the ships as they are docked in port. This will help you get a better idea of which side of the ship would be best.

I used to make this a big part of my cabin choice when booking a cruise but now I am just glad to be sailing and will take whatever cabin is available for the best price.

Great idea Mark, I never thought of that. We are looking at the Valor itinerary and I will try to check out the web cams for those ports. Does anyone have experience with the Valor's SC itinerary - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts, St. Maarten?

If the ship you are booking has a web cam check it daily to see where it usually docks and which way it faces. Even better is the port cams which show the ships as they are docked in port. This will help you get a better idea of which side of the ship would be best.

I used to make this a big part of my cabin choice when booking a cruise but now I am just glad to be sailing and will take whatever cabin is available for the best price.

We got a starboard aft wrap. After Barbados, you are sailing back up north so most views while at sea will be toward the islands on the right. You get an especially nice view of the Pitons the night after Barbados if you are up early in the morning.

Edited by JAGR

It's pretty much a crap shoot. You really have no way of knowing which side of the dock ships will dock at, and whether they will back in or not.

This is quite true! Also, the same ship going to the same port may not have the same docking location every time. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Last October, we were port facing the beach in Grand Turk! A fabulous view at sailaway!

And in Aruba we were port side to the town again. Not a bad view although I don't think I would have hated either side at either port - again sailaway was fantastic!

You are so lucky to be going to Bonaire - as much as I liked our days in Dominican Republic and Curacao, as an enthusiastic snorkler - I'd trade either of those for Bonaire in a nanosecond!

We always do Port side Lido balconies.

First of all, I have a "thing" with odd numbers, so starboard is OUT:o:o

Last year on the Eastern 8 night Breeze, we did Portside, and had a view of the pier at all ports.

This year, we did ANOTHER Portside on the Breeze, for the Southern route.

Hoping for the same.

Either way, we are cruising. It's not going to make or break my cruise.

:D:D:D

You are so lucky to be going to Bonaire - as much as I liked our days in Dominican Republic and Curacao, as an enthusiastic snorkler - I'd trade either of those for Bonaire in a nanosecond!

Bonaire is FANTASTIC for snorkeling!

Also, the view from either side of the ship is lovely there! :)

LuLu

Great idea Mark, I never thought of that. We are looking at the Valor itinerary and I will try to check out the web cams for those ports. Does anyone have experience with the Valor's SC itinerary - St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts, St. Maarten?

We were just on Valor. The ship backed into port in St. Thomas, Barbados and

St. Lucia. The view is good either side in St. Thomas, Nothing good to look at in Barbados, and in St .Lucia its not a bad view either since you are inland a bit.

St Kitts and St Martin the ship docked facing the island - Cant remember which side was what. We had an aft ext. cabin and the view was always great.!!

I know when we were in St Thomas on Liberty a few years ago the ship didnt back in like this time, so it may just be up to the captain.

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I'll go port. And does it really matter when sipping your beverage of choice on your balcony of your Caribbean cruise vacation??? I am such an over planner.

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I'll go port. And does it really matter when sipping your beverage of choice on your balcony of your Caribbean cruise vacation??? I am such an over planner.

We normally book Port too. Silly reason ... we like even numbers. :D

LuLu