Passengers with hearing loss need to complain

whiterose

Just back from cruise #24 with Princess. My only complaint was the lack of access for passengers with hearing loss. Pretty much no improvement in 18 years.

Yes they now have an assistive listening system in the theater but I could not use it because the only receivers were the "stethescope" design which go in your ears and don't work for people who have hearing aids or cochlear implants - the folk who need it the most. No sign telling people the system is available and the staff told me nobody uses it - not a big surprise.

The TVs now have closed captioning but only two channels actually showed programs with captions. This drives me wild because almost every TV show or movie shown in the USA has closed captions so where did Princess find copies that are not captioned? It would not them nothing to get the captioned version.

Please I'm begging you, speak up if you have a hearing loss and ask for some access. Passengers with mobility issues seem to have done a good job of advocating for themselves, so we need to do the same or nothing will change.

Hi whiterose:

I am newly, suddenly deaf and have 2 cochlear implants. I am still learning about assistive devices. I will be going on my first cruise as a hearing impaired person in December aboard Carnival Miracle. From what little bit of information I've been able to find on cruising with a hearing impairment, it seems that there isn't much out there. My plan is to ask a lot of questions once on board and make a lot of suggestions. I hope that the more people chime in with what their needs are, the more the cruise lines will listen.

My one big fear is the dining room... Where natural hearing filters out all of the background voices and clattering of dishes, background music, etc., my brain does not have that capability with my CIs yet. I wonder if I'll be able to hold a conversation with anyone? Luckily, I have a great husband who is very thoughtful and kind. If we don't care for the situation, we'll have to change to a table for two. I hope it doesn't work out that way, though, because new friends at the dining room table is something we've loved on all of our past cruises...

Taters

I have moderate hearing loss in certain ranges and moderate to severe tinnitus. It can be very difficult hearing people in places like dining rooms where there is a lot of background noise. I have learned to read lips to a degree which helps to fill in words that I miss while the person is speaking. I would suggest trying to position yourself at the table in a place where you can see everyone's face clearly--I've found a round table works better than a rectangular one. I hope you have great cruise!

Hi Taters

Hope it works out for you in the dining room. I think it's great you want to interact with other people - takes a lot of courage when you can't rely on your hearing. So I say go for it. You could ask in advance for a table in a quieter part of the dining room - that would be relatively quiet anyway. Tables for 4 or 6 are easier to cope with than tables for 8. A table in a corner would help because then you could sit with your back to the wall.

Have to admit we ask for a table for 2 so I can avoid having to talk to strangers but sometimes I feel we're missing out on some of the fun. On this recent Princess cruise the tables for 2 were along the wall and placed about one foot apart. Just enough room to squeeze in to the back bench and that got harder after 19 days - smile. So our neighbors were very close and we did chat with them a bit.

Very glad you plan to speak up about your needs. It's the only way that things will improve for us. So you're doing this for all the other hard of hearing passengers too.

Have any of the lines sorted assistance for the captain's announcements? I heard maybe 2 words that the captain spoke on our 7 day cruise with P&O, and had to rely on hubby to transcribe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the air announcements are just a lot of noise as far as I'm concerned. Solving this problem would be tricky. They could use some kind of voice recognition software to display captions but then how would you get to see them? Could be displayed on large screens throughout the ship or better yet give you some kind of handheld device. Not easy to do.

Heck, they still expect you to attend the safety drill and listen to a voice that you cannot hear properly. I ask for a written explanation and they deliver it to my cabin later but it would be so simple to just hand one out at the safety drill. On Princess the cabin TV shows a Welcome Aboard message from the captain with some guy signing in a little box on the screen. but no captions or English subtitles. Captions would help a lot more passengers than someone signing.

I wish Princess would consult with Hearing Loss Association of America to make sure that the access they do provide would actually help people.

On my last cruise, one of the Gauguines--cultural ambassadors who were like onboard hostesses with varied responsibilities that ranged from leading Zumba to teaching pareo tying to singing and dancing to mingling with guests to, well, they were everywhere and a highlight of the cruise. Anyhow, one of them was fluent in Sign language and I saw her many times with two passengers who were hearing impaired signing during lectures, at dinner, during a show, etc. She was also with them during muster. You might consider a cruise with them at some point, having the personal attention of the Gauguine probably made it the best cruise ever for that couple.

Yes I bet the interpreter made a huge difference for that couple. However, my sign skills are very weak since I went deaf later in life. On this last cruise I go so frustrated on tours that I did actually wished I had a terp with me to at least give me a clue about what the tour guide was saying.

Most deaf people do not know sign language just like most blind people don't know braille. It's not easy to learn and most of us don't know anybody else who signs.

Hi ducklite: I have asked for a 4-6 person table in the dining room. I think that a larger, round table would be more difficult because those table are so large that I would never be able to make out what most of the folks are saying. I love chatting with people and carrying on... :-) My lipreading is marginal.

I lost my hearing a year and a half ago out of the blue. In a split second it was gone, *POOF* just like that, for absolutely no reason that any brilliant doctors can figure out. I did not hear a thing for three months before my 1st cochlear implant was activated. I got my second CI 4 months later. I've always loved chatting with people and what I missed the most during those three months of silence was laughter! It was a depressing time, indeed. So I'm back in the hearing world, but these bionic ears of mine are nothing like the natural hearing that I was blessed with for 49 years. Hubby and I are venturing out into the world again, and it feels good to get back to my life, you know?

I never thought of the announcements... Thanks for bringing that up, Happy_Girl and whiterose. My husband will fill me in, but I will certainly talk with someone once on board to see if there is an alternative to be had. I have had to travel to the Lower 48 A LOT for surgery, doctors and audiologist appointments and cannot for the life of me understand the announcements at the airport or on the aircraft. The one advantage of being totally deaf on an airplane full of screaming babies is that I can (and do!) turn my ears off. My husband's snoring is no longer a problem, either. LOL

Taters, when I said round, I didn't mean a table for 12, but rather one that seats six. Sorry for any confusion. Those seem to work best for me. Fortunately my husband is used to me saying, "what did s/he say" and patient in responding. :)

My new hearing aid has a variety of adjustments that I can make to help with hearing in dining rooms, but the genius who fitted it can make adjustments on her computer (with my aid connected) that can do a wonder of improvements. I just tell her what my needs are when going to a big meeting and she helps me out.

I am also very new at this and am thrilled by the improvements I've gotten by having a fine hearing aid.

I agree wholeheartedly with all these frustrating on board challenges, and yes, most of us who lost our hearing as adults do not sign.

The TV captioning thing just burns me up, since it's so commonplace and useful everywhere else that I rely on it greatly Then there are those lame theater headsets (once with no batteries, and none on the ship to fit it. So depressing.) Those are thing always promised on the "we're accessible" website pages, but never delivered.

After an 18-day transatlantic in 2011 with two lovely couples as table mates, we now just ask for a table for two. The dining room is almost impossible for me, even with a round for six. It's exhausting, I don't enjoy struggling for two hours pretending I'm part of the conversation, and it's not fair to the others.

It's depressing to pay the same fare as others, but miss so much of the experience.

I think now is a good time to request these sort of much needed accommodations. The cruise industry has taken a well deserved beating lately and need positive publicity. I suggest trying to writing the special needs departments of the major cruises lines to offer suggestions and request meaningful feedback. a petition might help

Best of luck to you

It's good to know that others share my concerns. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting a bit paranoid about this but then I tell myself that if nobody complains then nothing will ever change.

For years I've asked for assistance from the Princess Access Office and they have tried to help but are limited in what they can do. The Passenger Services Dept in California does not even answer my emails! Right now I'm focused on two areas that are important to me and also relatively easy and inexpensive to fix.

1. Closed captioning. Princess buys "packages" of movies and TV programs from a supplier. All they need to do is say we want the version with closed captions. All new (and many old) movies are already available with captions or subtitles for the deaf. All new TV programming in the USA is required by law to have captioning. The captions have already been paid for - Princess would not have to pay. However, Princess would have to pay for captions on all those advertising channels about future cruises and shore excursions. They run the same stuff over and over so the cost would be minimal and might even improve sales.

2. Listening systems in the theater and show lounge. Seems like all the ships have this equipment. Unfortunately Princess purchased the cheaper receivers that do not have output jacks that allow people with hearing aids or cochlear implants to plug in a neckloop or special receiver. The receivers with output jacks cost about $5 more so it would not be a huge cost to replace at least a few of the receivers.

Right now the systems are not being used because there are no signs telling people they are available and there is nothing on the Princess website or the daily Patter newsletter about them. The staff at the Front Desk don't even know what I'm talking about. Princess can say nobody uses the systems therefore they are not necessary. Then people like me try to use the system and find it does not work so we give up and again Princess can say nobody uses them.

I'd love to have a petition but don't know how to do it.

whiterose, it seems to me that Princess has no desire to accomodate you at all, considering you've made these requests numerous times. I think if I were you that I would simply take my business elsewhere.

It might not be your cup of tea, but Disney is probably the best as far as accomodating all types of disabilities. You might want to look into them.

I, too, wear hearing aids and have had to adjust my social life to fit my ability to hear. On a cruise the worst is the dining room. the only solution for me is a table for 2. it is just too embrrasing to sit with others and not be able to converse. I used to enjoy Trivia and some of the other activities, but that has also become next to impossible.Most of the shows can not be understood. So... I do what I can and enjoy the cruise for what I can do. I love the ships with good libraries.

It also helps when we can get a good price on a Suite (very rare). At least i can enjoy more pampering.

It's good to know that others share my concerns. Sometimes I wonder if I'm getting a bit paranoid about this but then I tell myself that if nobody complains then nothing will ever change.

For years I've asked for assistance from the Princess Access Office and they have tried to help but are limited in what they can do. The Passenger Services Dept in California does not even answer my emails! Right now I'm focused on two areas that are important to me and also relatively easy and inexpensive to fix.

1. Closed captioning. Princess buys "packages" of movies and TV programs from a supplier. All they need to do is say we want the version with closed captions. All new (and many old) movies are already available with captions or subtitles for the deaf. All new TV programming in the USA is required by law to have captioning. The captions have already been paid for - Princess would not have to pay. However, Princess would have to pay for captions on all those advertising channels about future cruises and shore excursions. They run the same stuff over and over so the cost would be minimal and might even improve sales.

2. Listening systems in the theater and show lounge. Seems like all the ships have this equipment. Unfortunately Princess purchased the cheaper receivers that do not have output jacks that allow people with hearing aids or cochlear implants to plug in a neckloop or special receiver. The receivers with output jacks cost about $5 more so it would not be a huge cost to replace at least a few of the receivers.

Right now the systems are not being used because there are no signs telling people they are available and there is nothing on the Princess website or the daily Patter newsletter about them. The staff at the Front Desk don't even know what I'm talking about. Princess can say nobody uses the systems therefore they are not necessary. Then people like me try to use the system and find it does not work so we give up and again Princess can say nobody uses them.

I'd love to have a petition but don't know how to do it.

On item # 2: You're kidding! There are no listening syetems that are compatible with a neckloop? My audi has recommended that I purchase a neckloop system to help me in "theater" type settings. As I stated in an earlier post, I am new to this deafness thing and am only learning about assistive devices. I wasn't aware that you had to plug a neckloop system into something else. As I understood it, the neckloop simply picked up more sound and brought it to your CIs. Can anyone shed more light on this for me, please?

I am traveling on Carnival Miracle, so perhaps the next thing for me to do is to inquire what type of assistive listening system they might have in their theater...

Thanks, everyone.

Edited by Taters

HAL provides assistant listening devices in the theatre. Carnival supplied an interpreter who encouraged all hearing impaired folks to sit in a specific area and NCL had a device that you could attach to your cabin door allowing a light to blink in your cabin letting you know someone was knocking.-

HAL provides assistant listening devices in the theatre. Carnival supplied an interpreter who encouraged all hearing impaired folks to sit in a specific area and NCL had a device that you could attach to your cabin door allowing a light to blink in your cabin letting you know someone was knocking.-

Roz, I was on HAL when their theater device that was given to me had no batteries inside, which I discovered sitting in the theater ready to enjoy the show. None at the front desk with batteries in them either. No batteries available on the ship to fit. The answer was that I could perhaps purchase my own batteries in port. This was on a 21-day transatlantic with about 8 sea days before the first port. I have not sailed HAL since.

Interpreters are offered, but many adult-deafened peope do not sign nor understand signing.

Now I have a dog to alert me to door knocks and other stateroom sounds.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Roz, I was on HAL when their theater device that was given to me had no batteries inside, which I discovered sitting in the theater ready to enjoy the show. None at the front desk with batteries in them either. No batteries available on the ship to fit. The answer was that I could perhaps purchase my own batteries in port. This was on a 21-day transatlantic with about 8 sea days before the first port. I have not sailed HAL since.

Interpreters are offered, but many adult-deafened peope do not sign nor understand signing.

Now I have a dog to alert me to door knocks and other stateroom sounds.

I do understand the frustration of it all.

I hope to see you and your brilliantly beautiful dog onboard a cruise.

Hi Taters

Before you buy a neckloop system check with the cruise line and your audiologist to make sure it will be compatible with their equipment because there are so many different types of equipment. I have an older CI (16 years) body processor so I use a patchcord (which I bring with me) to connect my processor to the listening system. That means I need the system to have a receiver box with an output jack so I can plug in. A neckloop would also need to plug in to a receiver. You really do need to talk to your audiologist to be sure you buy the right stuff.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 does apply to cruise ships that visit USA ports. HOWEVER, THE ACCESS BOARD STILL HAS NOT ISSUED FINAL REGULATIONS. These will spell out exactly what the cruise lines have to provide for any kind of physical disability. They have been working on this for over 10 years with umpteen public hearings and rewritings. 95% of the regs cover mobility issues but there is a little in there for vision and hearing. From what I've seen so far, it will require visual safety alarms so that people with hearing loss will know if there is an emergency. Listening systems are also covered and a variety of receivers will be required so that people with different kinds of hearing aids and/or cochlear implants can actually use them. I don't think there is anything about closed captioning.

I hope I live long enough to actually see these final regulations issued.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to share the response I got from Princess. Emailed them last week and got a letter from them yesterday so have to give them full credit for a quick reply. The letter talks about their Access Compliance Department whose "main objective is the ongoing evaluation of the special needs of our guests".

The letter did NOT anwer my two complaints - problems with the assistive listening system and lack of captioning on the TV. However, they did tell me "printed copies of our announcements can be requested from the Purser's Desk." Guess that means you can find out what the captain was saying even though it will be some time after it's all over. The letter also says "We are working with our entertainment department and the onboard staff to obtain copies of scripts for our production shows. It is our hope to have them available for you during your cruise." That would definitely be helpful and I will be sure to ask if we sail with Princess again.

I'm very happy that Princess paid some attention to my complaints and also that they responded so fast but I do wish they had directly addressed my specific concerns.

Everybody please speak up about your needs on a cruise. If enough of us complain they will have to do something about it.

Just wanted to share the response I got from Princess. Emailed them last week and got a letter from them yesterday so have to give them full credit for a quick reply. The letter talks about their Access Compliance Department whose "main objective is the ongoing evaluation of the special needs of our guests".

The letter did NOT anwer my two complaints - problems with the assistive listening system and lack of captioning on the TV. However, they did tell me "printed copies of our announcements can be requested from the Purser's Desk." Guess that means you can find out what the captain was saying even though it will be some time after it's all over. The letter also says "We are working with our entertainment department and the onboard staff to obtain copies of scripts for our production shows. It is our hope to have them available for you during your cruise." That would definitely be helpful and I will be sure to ask if we sail with Princess again.

I'm very happy that Princess paid some attention to my complaints and also that they responded so fast but I do wish they had directly addressed my specific concerns.

Everybody please speak up about your needs on a cruise. If enough of us complain they will have to do something about it.

I continue to cruise with Princess because I find them extremely responsive to my requests onboard their ship both before I cruise [with their Access Dept.] and during my cruise. Sometimes a crew member may be slow in responding to my needs but I don't blame Princess for one or two people's lack of concern and caring!

If my 90lb Lab is not reason enough to pay attention to me, than please listen to my words!

I look that person square in the eye and let them know what the problem is and how they can further assist me in a more responsive manner. I try not to be angry toned or just walk away.....I know that gets me no where! I know because I've been to that point on many occasions and it's futile!

Thank you for all that you're trying to do on behalf of so many of us!

Edited by wizard-of-roz