Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, need help on excursion for non-swimmer

Hi Guys,

It is my first time on Allure of the Seas, from what I heard from family and friends... there are plenty to do on the ship. I'm interested to go to Mayan Ruin with my future husband for this honeymoon trip

But I'm not sure should we do on Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica as he doesn't know how to swim at all. Should I just relax at these two ports, walk around and save the money for entertainment + food on the ship?

Thank you~~

Falmouth...There are shops when you get off in a gated area. I wouldn't wander outside of this area. It isn't a beach area like Labadee. We did Dunns River Falls and it amazing. Although you are walking through water. It isn't really swimming but you wade the falls. So I wouldn't plan on roaming the beach area in Falmouth. Either book an excursion or stay on the boat. If you leave the boat take cash. Especially for excursions. They all want to be tipped and we didn't end up taking enough cash. Most excursions (probably all) are not near the port. The Falls are an hour away by van. So just research and maybe someone else has more info. Only been there once. I do have a picture I can send you if interested so you have an idea of what I am talking about.

Labadee...Fun beach day with lots to do. There is the roller coaster that I have heard about but we didn't do it. IF we ever go back we will for sure do that and the zip line. I believe you can even book the excursion on land there if you decide to do something. Not sure on this ...maybe someone else can chime in and let you know for sure.

thanks for sharing!!! I thought of doing the Dunn Fall and show pictures to Fianace but he is afraid the water maybe too rough for him

Is the water fairly calm for a non-swimmer?

I'm doing some research for a possible June 2016 Allure cruise. I've come across some recommendations to go to Dr. Caves Beach while in Falmouth. The beach is located in Montego Bay which is a 10 minute ride from the pier. The water looks very calm and clear.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

The Falls are not calm at all. It is a bit strenuous if you don't exercise regularly and the water flows down to the ocean and you climb up. You must must must have water shoes and even then can be slick in spots. We went in October and the water was very cold as well. If afraid of the water I wouldn't suggest this. That is a bit different than just not knowing how to swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not do the Falls with a non-swimmer, although he would have the opportunity to bail out if he got nervous.

I would recommend ziplining. Its the most fun I've had on an excursion, and they are great in Jamaica. My family, including my age 9 son, is doing it in August on Allure.

thanks for sharing!!! I thought of doing the Dunn Fall and show pictures to Fianace but he is afraid the water maybe too rough for him

Is the water fairly calm for a non-swimmer?

Are you saying, he just can't swim, or are you saying, he is afraid of the water? Big difference. If he has no problem getting in water, the falls are not for swimming, they are for wading. It's unique, and the tour has been around forever, at least since 1990. Yes, it is slippery, and yes, it is a good idea to wear water shoes.

If not, than Jamaica has many land tours, without water. Also, shopping outside the gated area is unique and fun. Yes, at times, some people can be pushy, but just learn to say no and say it often.

I asked him and he said he is not comfortable with water because he can't float ... I've trying hard to covnince him to take some swimming classes before hand but he still not sure ... it would be so much fun to do snorkelling together

Can a non-swimmer do snorkerlling with life jacket? I done it once in 2009 and love it.. I hope he can does it too because he is into fishes

I am a non-swimmer who loves the water anyway, I just hate to get my face wet. I have been on many snorkeling trips, just for the opportunity to be on a boat and float in the Caribbean water but not actually snorkeling. I used to count on the boat operators to have pool noodles or life jackets to use, but finally bought the travel version of an Aqua Jogger from Amazon. It is three large foam type sections that are secured by a large, adjustable belt - the foam sections are at my back and sides. I am totally comfortable in the water now, and actually met a sweetheart of a man who I trusted enough to teach me to snorkel; the belt is perfect for that. It folds into my suitcase, and I pack it on top to use as a cushioning material.