worth to Macaulay Salmon Hatchery?

hmtsai

My upcoming cruise is this August. It will be my first time to Alaska. I'm planning the excursions right now.

On Juneau, I plan to go to Mendenhall Glacier. I think Macaulay Salmon Hatchery is nearby or on the way. Is it worth spending some time there? Or should I spend more time exploring the glacier area, including the visitor center, walking to the falls, or some trails?

I guess I can easily see salmon hatchery at Creek Street in Ketchikan since it's the season. It should be walkable from the port, right?

Is there any differences between those two? From my understanding, Macaulay is like an exhibition with information and more educational?

Edited by hmtsai

IMHO the hatcheries and the entire salmon spawning process is incredibly interesting, but only during a run. Looking at an empty fish ladder isn't too interesting. I go to our local hatchery every fall and I'm never bored.

It was very interesting. I learned a great deal about salmon and the different species. Granted they weren't spawning - but still enjoyed to talk given by the guide there. In the store itself, there were some interesting exhibits as well.

But can honestly say this, once you have been, you really won't need to do a return trip.

What ever you decide to do - have a great time.

Okie

I'm going in August, which should be the season to see salmon running. My question is, if it is easily walkable to Creek Street in Ketchikan, is it worthwhile to Macaulay in Juneau?

It was very interesting. I learned a great deal about salmon and the different species. Granted they weren't spawning - but still enjoyed to talk given by the guide there. In the store itself, there were some interesting exhibits as well.

But can honestly say this, once you have been, you really won't need to do a return trip.

What ever you decide to do - have a great time.

Okie

So I think visiting the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery can learn more information, which might be interesting to my daughter.