Question about Large Inside I Category Cabin, Vista Class

Chelly

I was booked in a Large inside J category cabin on Main Deck for next April's Panama Canal cruise on Westerdam. (185 square feet)

Travel agent called,said cabin is required by HAL's FCC for several months and I needed to move. I was offered a few choices. I selected Large Inside I category on deck 6 (200 square feet). I understand there is a block of eight of those cabins.

Has anyone had a large category I on Deck 6? Is the configuration same as the Large J and K insides on Main Deck?

Anything you can tell me will be so helpful. Thanks.:)

Edited by Chelly

That's odd. I just went to their online booking and see that J1048 and J1049 are available to book but I cabins are a guarantee only.

CJ

Correct. HAL shows what it wants to show "as available to book" on the website.

However, this is a "HAL arrangement" because HAL had to move me.

Edited by Chelly

Has anyone had a large category I on Deck 6? Is the configuration same as the Large J and K insides on Main Deck?

Yep, and they are actually a bit larger than the inside staterooms on the main deck. The layout is similar. Hal Vista ships for my money have the best inside cabins in the industry.

Yep, and they are actually a bit larger than the inside staterooms on the main deck. The layout is similar. Hal Vista ships for my money have the best inside cabins in the industry.

Yes, I was told they are 15 square feet larger (dif between 185 and 200). Thank you for your reply.

I see there are only a few of them. Did you specifically book the I inside?

Edited by Chelly

Hal Vista ships for my money have the best inside cabins in the industry.
This is only true if booking the 'square' inside cabins. I've visited one of the teeny, tiny rectangular inside cabins on a Vista ship. Much smaller than any cabin we've seen on HAL since the 1980s. Those early cabins had upper/lower berths and still had more usable floor space than we saw on the Vista. While I do love the space of large, square insides on the Vista and Signature ships, I'd probably rather stay home than be stuck in one of those small ones (i.e the "spa" insides). Check the deck plans. If the cabin looks smaller than other cabins, that's because it IS smaller.

This is only true if booking the 'square' inside cabins. I've visited one of the teeny, tiny rectangular inside cabins on a Vista ship. Much smaller than any cabin we've seen on HAL since the 1980s. Those early cabins had upper/lower berths and still had more usable floor space than we saw on the Vista. While I do love the space of large, square insides on the Vista and Signature ships, I'd probably rather stay home than be stuck in one of those small ones (i.e the "spa" insides). Check the deck plans. If the cabin looks smaller than other cabins, that's because it IS smaller.

I travel solo so have the entire cabin to myself (and pay the price of two people). Most cruises I am booked in a balcony. On this particular Panama Canal cruise, I need to be more budget-minded. Plus, the 200 ft inside is larger than a balcony.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. Beautiful scenery awaits.

Thanks for starting this thread. Being a family of 4 I wondered the same thing when booking our Westerdam cruise. We originally booked an inside J but moved in mid March when reports on noise from the Queens Lounge were reported. We are now in a quad VC on Deck 4. I know it will be smaller, but we have sailed in "regular" insides and not had an issue.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Thanks for starting this thread. Being a family of 4 I wondered the same thing when booking our Westerdam cruise. We originally booked an inside J but moved in mid March when reports on noise from the Queens Lounge were reported. We are now in a quad VC on Deck 4. I know it will be smaller, but we have sailed in "regular" insides and not had an issue.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Hi Gail,

As you know, we are on the same sailing, so you will get some first-hand input and a tour.

C

I travel solo so have the entire cabin to myself (and pay the price of two people). Most cruises I am booked in a balcony. On this particular Panama Canal cruise, I need to be more budget-minded. Plus, the 200 ft inside is larger than a balcony.
You'll enjoy the extra space your cabin provides. My post was because I had a different viewpoint from someone else's blanket statement that HAL Vista ships "have the best inside cabins in the industry". Yes, some like your cabin are wonderful, but not all. The tiny cabin I visited (M category?) was also occupied by a single. She normally went with the one bed configuration in her cabins. This cabin was so small that she'd asked the steward to separate the beds. Instead of having a minuscule amount of space on either side of the bed, she preferred to have a small space between the two beds. Your cabin will have a nice sofa, her's didn't even have room for a chair. There is a huge difference in size between the different categories of inside cabins on the Vista (and Signature) class ships.