Norwegian iConcierge app question

kapeavey

If you download this app, can you keep your phone on airplane mode to use it so you don't use data or get roaming charges? This would be a great app to keep in touch with my teens on the cruise but I'm also looking forward to quality time with them without a phone in their hands.

In other words, can we only have the app working on the phone and nothing else? No texting, twitter, etc?

Thanks CC!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,

There are so many different types of phones out there...

The ONLY way to know...take your kids phone and put them in airplane mode and try it. You will know for sure what is and what is not working.

But again nothing prevents your kids from turning the mode on and off...right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi,

There are so many different types of phones out there...

The ONLY way to know...take your kids phone and put them in airplane mode and try it. You will know for sure what is and what is not working.

But again nothing prevents your kids from turning the mode on and off...right ?

Except being told not to by their parents. Sometimes kids listen to parents. I know, crazy, right?

On ANY phone, if you have phone and data turned off, (generally called airplane mode), and wifi turned on, you will be fine.

Anyone know the cost if you want to phone/text someone else with the app.

$7.95 for text or you can choose or add an additional $7.95 if you want to use the phone. And that's the fee you'll pay for the entire week!

Edited by Erik101

If you download this app, can you keep your phone on airplane mode to use it so you don't use data or get roaming charges?

Yes. That's what I did on my cruise in February. I put the phone into Airplane mode, then went to Settings and turned on wifi. The app ONLY needs wifi to do it's thing.

$7.95 for text or you can choose or add an additional $7.95 if you want to use the phone. And that's the fee you'll pay for the entire week!

Maybe it's changed since we were on the Epic in April, but it was $7.95 for both text and calling, not $7.95 each.

Maybe it's changed since we were on the Epic in April, but it was $7.95 for both text and calling, not $7.95 each.

You're probably right and since I didn't use the service, it may be just one fee. So if the OP or anyone else is interested, they can pay for one to see if it includes both services.

Anyone know the cost if you want to phone/text someone else with the app.

And just to be clear that's only someone else who has subscribed to the service and has the app running and connected to the ships wifi.

I've heard stories of people paying the $7.95 then sending normal texts to non app users which would be charged at the roaming rate... :eek:

And just to be clear that's only someone else who has subscribed to the service and has the app running and connected to the ships wifi.

I've heard stories of people paying the $7.95 then sending normal texts to non app users which would be charged at the roaming rate... :eek:

Yep, the app only includes things done inside the app, not anything done with phone's regular calling/texting functionality.