Passport vs. Passport Card vs. Birth Certificate & Photo ID

toyotaford

It's actually not Canada that's the issue...a US citizen is allowed to enter Canada with just a birth certificate. Reentry to the US is what requires more than a BC. A passport card is perfectly valid for any land or sea crossing between the US and Canada (including excursions from Alaska into Canada)...only air travel between the US and Canada requires a passport book.

Hence why I said "or other legal means of entering Canada".

I know when we left on the excursion, they wanted to see our passports before we were allowed on the train and Canadian border agents also walked through the train asking to see documentation. Don't know what all they would have accepted, but we had passports. On the way back, our tour guide just handed the US agent a form and they asked nothing from us.

Hence why I said "or other legal means of entering Canada".

I know when we left on the excursion, they wanted to see our passports before we were allowed on the train and Canadian border agents also walked through the train asking to see documentation. Don't know what all they would have accepted, but we had passports. On the way back, our tour guide just handed the US agent a form and they asked nothing from us.

You've missed the point. Legal means of entering Canada isn't the issue. In theory you can enter Canada with just a birth certificate. It's what is legal for entry or reentry to the US that causes the problem. You can't get into (or back into) the US with just a birth certificate.

B.C. & Yukon (and all provinces starting with "n") consider 19, not 18, to be the age of majority. So while the passport card is fine for entry by land or sea... You may want to call and ask Canadian tourism offices if you'll need a consent letter for young adults that the provinces you're visiting considers children.

B.C. & Yukon (and all provinces starting with "n") consider 19, not 18, to be the age of majority. So while the passport card is fine for entry by land or sea... You may want to call and ask Canadian tourism offices if you'll need a consent letter for young adults that the provinces you're visiting considers children.

Interesting question. Personally, I doubt that provincial age of majority matters, since Canada Border Services Agency is under the federal government. But it might be worth reaching out to them to verify.

They can be reached by email at contact@cbsa.gc.ca or through the Border Information Service line at 1-800-461-9999.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/help-aide/faq1-eng.html