Princess cruisetour

cruisinlawn

We are in the process of deciding on a last minute trip for this Summer. The specific tours are EB4 and KB6. Either would allow for two nights in Denali and a nightly stopover at McKinley. The biggest differences as noted...

EB4 gives us a day in Fairbanks and includes riverboat cruise on the Chena. We would also take the train from Talkeetna to Whittier.

KB6 boards the train in Anchorage to Talkeetna. Does not have any time in Fairbanks but instead gives us two nights in Copper River.

Either boards the same ship and we could make either one fit our schedule.

Looking for input on the the two different areas (F'banks vs Copper River) and which might offer more of the real Alaska. We enjoy the outdoors; scenery wildlife, rivers, etc.

Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated. TIA:)

curious of the pros/cons regarding F'banks (which inc riverboat tour) vs Copper River and the length of train portion, ANC to Talkeetna vs Talkeetna to Whittier.

Also failed to mention either tour includes the history tour while in Denali, which we would promptly cancel and at the least upgrade to Tundar tour or more likely take the park's shuttle bus and do that on our own. Thanks again. :)

Copper River is indeed a lovely location, but very isolated. Without a car, anything you want to do will have to be a Princess excursion. Look at the princess lodge web site for a list of available activities.

I've been to Fairbanks twice and really like it. It's usually the only place I see the sun. Haven't done the Riverboat tour .... it gets great reviews. Just not my interest. I've done the gold panning tour, visited the UofA, pipeline exhibit, museum, North Pole, etc. I had a vehicle each time so it was easy for us to get around town to see the sights which are quite spread out.

You might want to consider renting a car for a week to do the land portion on your own, visiting locations you want to visit. OR, if you skip Copper River you can book the train on your own for a DIY trip.

We are in the process of deciding on a last minute trip for this Summer. The specific tours are EB4 and KB6. Either would allow for two nights in Denali and a nightly stopover at McKinley.

Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated. TIA:)

McKinley is the mountain. Denali is the park. I am curious as to where your nightly stopover in McKinley is. This does not make sense.

DON

McKinley is the mountain. Denali is the park. I am curious as to where your nightly stopover in McKinley is. This does not make sense.

DON

Sorry, while at Denali we would stay at Princess' lodge for two nights then as we head back south there is a stop over at McKinley lodge.

Sorry, while at Denali we would stay at Princess' lodge for two nights then as we head back south there is a stop over at McKinley lodge.

The McKinley Princess lodge is located near Talkeetna. It's another lovely location but isolated. Great views of the mtn if it's visible. For any activities you would need to take the Princess shuttle into the small town of Talkeetna, about 45 minutes away. Again, a list of available excursions will be on the lodge web site.

http://www.princesslodges.com/princess-alaska-lodges.htm

You might want to visit the STICKY above '2013 alaska cruise reviews'. Go to reply #45 where the trip reports are sorted by cruiseline. You'll find first hand reports from people who have taken various Princess cruisetours......which excursions they took, activities at each location, etc

Edited by mapleleaves

we'll have a free evening at Denali lodge as well as one at McKinley. I know Princess offers other tours that would fit into our schedule but curious if there would be independent vendors that we might connect with? We'll have a 3-5hr window at each location we'd like to fill.

I have found that Era Helicopter runs an operation out of Denali and will contact them next week to inquire. We've flown with them in the past out of Juneau with no problems. TIA for any help:)