Specialty Restaurants on Formal Nights & Reservations

jormot

Quick question.... We are sailing on the Star next year to Alaska. Do the specialty restaurants require formal attire on formal nights? Do they require advanced reservations? If they require reservations to we do that prior to sailing or once we board? Thank you!

Quick question.... We are sailing on the Star next year to Alaska. Do the specialty restaurants require formal attire on formal nights? Do they require advanced reservations? If they require reservations to we do that prior to sailing or once we board? Thank you!

They are casual

Yes, you should reserve and you do that on board.

Reservations can only be made onboard. ;)

Dress is "Smart casual" (as opposed to casual) and I've found that on formal nights, people dress up for dinner in the specialty restaurants. Not as formally as in the dining room but dressier than other nights. I've dined in specialty restaurants on formal nights where all the men were in suits and the ladies were in dresses or black pants with a top. I felt really out of place in my linen pants and linen shirt jacket. That was not typical but generally, it's a special night and a special dinner, and people dress up more than they would otherwise. You won't be turned away if you dress more casually but I didn't want to set your expectation that everyone dresses casually because that's not the case in my experience.

My DH and I usually have dinner on at the Crown Grill on formal nights.

For us it is a special night and we do dress accordingly-he in a suit,me in a cocktail dress.

That is our choice.

I have seen others dressed similarily and others in Hawaiian type shirts,slacks and other types of casual outfits.

There is no formal night dress code for specialty restaurants.

You will be welcomed in formal dress or "smart casual".

We have always enjoyed the food and service at the Crown Grill,especially the one located on the Crown Princess.