Bringing a friend

I know I've seen this a thousands times, but just want to ask directly to yall :) I think my daughter is going to bring a friend (since my other daughter can't go:( anyway, What exactly does the friend need to bring, a birth certificate w/ a raised seal, notorized birth certificate, letter from the parent, notorized? I need all the advice I can get, b/c I'd hate for her not to beable to board the ship and we have to fly her back and we could miss the ship. Thanks

I know I've seen this a thousands times, but just want to ask directly to yall :) I think my daughter is going to bring a friend (since my other daughter can't go:( anyway, What exactly does the friend need to bring, a birth certificate w/ a raised seal, notorized birth certificate, letter from the parent, notorized? I need all the advice I can get, b/c I'd hate for her not to beable to board the ship and we have to fly her back and we could miss the ship. Thanks

Parent(s) to be safe. If the child is 16 or older, then a photo ID.

The cruise line requirement is often below the government requirement. And while you may NOT be asked for documentation by Customs and Border Patrol, if you ARE and can not produce the proper documentation you can and will be detained until the circumstances are determined to THEIR satisfaction.

A notarized letter giving permission is best.

Please see this link for additional information

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg5MDQ5ODcxL3NpZC8xT1A0VkpKbA%3D%3D

The cruise line requirement is often below the government requirement. And while you may NOT be asked for documentation by Customs and Border Patrol, if you ARE and can not produce the proper documentation you can and will be detained until the circumstances are determined to THEIR satisfaction.

A notarized letter giving permission is best.

Please see this link for additional information

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg5MDQ5ODcxL3NpZC8xT1A0VkpKbA%3D%3D

Has anyone had this problem before? any advice from anyone who has done this recently

Has anyone had this problem before? any advice from anyone who has done this recently

It is always best to have too much information rather than not enough.

Even on a closed loop cruise something could happen at a port stop that would prevent you from re-boarding.

Proper ID and parental authorization would indeed be required.

Even a minor "accident" on-board such as a skinned knee that might require medical attention should be considered.

If there is time before the cruise you might ask the child's parents to get her a passport. That with a notarized letter from the parents should cover all contingencies and emergencies.

Not a big problem but a couple of years ago we took my DGD when she was 11 on Oasis. I had a notarized letter from her father (he has sole custody), the custody papers, her birth certificate and a copy of her medical ID card. We were never asked for anything getting on except for the birth certificate. When we got off the ship customs did ask for something with her picture on it and asked her a few questions. The next year we cruised with her again and no questions. We have since got her a passport.

Our situation is not with a friend, it is with my own child. His father and I are divorced, and I am remarried so my son and I have different last names. Before sailing, we got him his passport. His father also provided us with a notarized letter stating he was aware that I was taking our son out of the country on a cruise and that I had authority to make all decisions (medical) while we were gone. In addition, I took a copy of my new marriage license to show the link to my son. Keep in mind, this is for my own child. I would definitely have all the similar documentation for a child not related to me.

Other folks may tell you that none of that is necessary, just ID for the child...I'd rather have all my ducks in a row and more documentation than I might need and feel confident that I'll board smoothly.

All that being said, two cruises with my son and they didn't ask for documentation on him either time. However, we did take my daughter's boyfriend with us last time and they questioned him...but he was 18 so it ended up being a nonissue (they agent just didn't check his age before questioning us). Point is, it can and does happen (although not consistently as far as I can tell....)

This is what I have used frequently, along with a certified BC, I try and get a letter from each parent.

I, Mothers name, formally mothers maiden name (mother), do give permission for your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s Ship Name sailing from Departure Port on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your name permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2011 in Brevard County Florida

Mothers name

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2011, by

Signature Florida Notary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced_______________________________________________

Edited by uksimonusa

Original birth certificate. Government issued, not hospital issued. Not all states use raised seals, so anything other than a photocopy. There are no notarized birth certificates, since the notorizing process is just verifying a signature.

Letter from both parents, or from one with copy of custodial letter, stating permission to take child out of country and permission to make medical decisions for child.

As others have said, most never have to show this, but it can be required, either by the line or by CBP upon returning to the US. IMHO, it is like having the "bridge" documents for name differences between DL and BC (marriage license, divorce papers, adoption papers, etc). CBP has granted an exception to standard immigration procedures for closed loop cruises, but still can require proof that the person on the photo ID with one name (proof of identity) is the same as the person on the BC with another name (proof of citizenship).

thanks, this helps... but how do you get a child's ID w/ photo if they are only 14? I can get other things needed except for the passport (too close to sail) - thanks

Most schools, often give school ID's with a picture attach, maybe inquired if they have one and/or if that's an option:confused:

It's what we had when we took our 11yrs old GS

Edited by ladylikes2cruise

thanks, this helps... but how do you get a child's ID w/ photo if they are only 14? I can get other things needed except for the passport (too close to sail) - thanks

Many states issue photo state ID at the DMV for those who are either too young, or who choose not to drive. I believe they are about $5-10. Just need a parent with ID and a BC for the applicant.

Edited by chengkp75

Many states issue photo state ID at the DMV for those who are either too young, or who choose not to drive. I believe they are about $5-10. Just need a parent with ID and a BC for the applicant.

Chenkp75 is correct, but in this instance the child is under 16 and photo ID is not required.

A child under 16 does not need a photo ID.

From the RCCL website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notorized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

A child under 16 does not need a photo ID.

From the RCCL website:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notorized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

That is for the cruise line. We were asked for photo ID for our 11 you DGD one year by CBP when we disembarked the ship. Thankfully I had a copy of her Army medical ID card that had her picture on it.

That is for the cruise line. We were asked for photo ID for our 11 you DGD one year by CBP when we disembarked the ship. Thankfully I had a copy of her Army medical ID card that had her picture on it.

The requirements quoted from RCI's website are the same for CBP. Interesting that the agent asked for a photo ID, as their own website states that a photo ID is not required for anyone under 16. The cruise lines don't have any requirement for ID, it is CBP that requires ID to be presented at embarkation, so that the passenger manifest, with documentation listed, can be prepared and sent to CBP for "pre-clearing" while the cruise is underway. This is why disembarkation screening is usually so casual, CBP has done all the background checking while everyone was drinking at the pool.

Edited by chengkp75

The requirements quoted from RCI's website are the same for CBP. Interesting that the agent asked for a photo ID, as their own website states that a photo ID is not required for anyone under 16. The cruise lines don't have any requirement for ID, it is CBP that requires ID to be presented at embarkation, so that the passenger manifest, with documentation listed, can be prepared and sent to CBP for "pre-clearing" while the cruise is underway. This is why disembarkation screening is usually so casual, CBP has done all the background checking while everyone was drinking at the pool.

It wouldn't be the first time someone didn't know how to do their job properly. But I find it interesting that they would ask you after the cruise.......what are they going to do if you don't have it then......make you go back onto the ship???

It wouldn't be the first time someone didn't know how to do their job properly. But I find it interesting that they would ask you after the cruise.......what are they going to do if you don't have it then......make you go back onto the ship???

We were also surprised that they asked after we had already been to Labadee,Jamaica and Mexico and we came back with her :eek: but I guess it is just better to be over prepared and not have to worry.:rolleyes:

Quite right. However, the first time you see CBP is at disembarkation. You don't see them at embarkation, and it is CBP, not the cruise line that determines the exact nature of documentation required. The cruise line does submit the passenger manifest with all the documentation listed just before departure, but CBP cannot screen several thousand passengers (most without passports) in an hour. So, while the line works to ensure you have the proper documentation, CBP will not know if everything is correct until you have already boarded, and most likely been at sea for a day.

And to answer your question, no, they will detain you at their delightful facility until the matter of your identity can be determined. You would be just the same as a stowaway without documentation.

Quite right. However, the first time you see CBP is at disembarkation. You don't see them at embarkation, and it is CBP, not the cruise line that determines the exact nature of documentation required. The cruise line does submit the passenger manifest with all the documentation listed just before departure, but CBP cannot screen several thousand passengers (most without passports) in an hour. So, while the line works to ensure you have the proper documentation, CBP will not know if everything is correct until you have already boarded, and most likely been at sea for a day.

And to answer your question, no, they will detain you at their delightful facility until the matter of your identity can be determined. You would be just the same as a stowaway without documentation.

And I would completely understand said detention if the detention is within the guidelines of their laws/rules. But if they detained a 14 year old child due to not having a photo ID, that would be a violation of their own rules.