A question for you Alaskan veterans re: "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discov

alfieisgod

Sailing on the Crown next month. I am considering booking "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery” out of Juneau - or possibly just the flight without the lodge.

Comments from anyone who has done either? Is the two hours extra for the lodge visit (and meal) worthwhile?

Thanks,

Don

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing on the Crown next month. I am considering booking "Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery” out of Juneau - or possibly just the flight without the lodge.

Comments from anyone who has done either? Is the two hours extra for the lodge visit (and meal) worthwhile?

Thanks,

Don

We have taken Taku flight twice. DO IT!!! It is breath taking. A lovely experience. Nice salmon meal.

The next time we are in the area, we will definately take the taku flight again. Go for it.

Taku Lodge was the most memorable excursion that we did in Alaska! Not only is the scenery over the glaciers absolutely breath-taking, the Lodge itself is not to be missed. Have your camera ready once the salmon are off the grills--that's when the bears come out! The pictures are unbelievable. If we ever go back, Taku Lodge is something that I would book again! If you enjoy cooking, the gift shop has a wonderful recipe book, including some of the recipes served at dinner. We have used it again and again.

Our 1st Alaska cruise was in 1981 & we took a float plane trip to a lodge/salmon bake lunch somewhere behind Juneau -- fantastic! We still talk about it!

We've flown in Alaska twice since -- always fabulous! Alaska needs to be seen from every angle -- especially from above!

You'll love it!

Thanks,

Don

This excursion and snowmobiling in Yellowstone National Park are the two best excursions I have ever been on. Well worth the time and money.

http://www.takulodge.com/flight-and-feast-tour.html

Awesome is the only word to describe it!

You need to include the feast so you get to see the bears descend on the grill while it is still hot from cooking the salmon.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

We still talk about the salmon that we had there. It had just been caught the day before and then grilled outside. Nothing has ever come close to how wonderful that was! We barely even want to try salmon anywhere because it can't compare. Great sights flying also! Would go again in a heartbeat!!!

Thanks for the feedback, in particular explaining why you recommended the excursion. That helped make up my mind. Flight + Feast is booked. :)

Thanks,

Don

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don, The Taku Lodge seaplance and salmon feast was one of the best excursions I've ever taken. Yes, it's expensive, but it's totally worth it.

I guess I'm in the minority. I did both a number of years ago and much preferred the additional flight time over the Taku stop, and thought the views over the glaciers was much more impressive. While the meal at Taku was ok it was just another meal to me. Also the day I was there was so warm all of the bears were hiding in the woods.

FYI I'm booked on the 5 Glacier flight for my cruise in June

I guess I'm in the minority. I did both a number of years ago and much preferred the additional flight time over the Taku stop, and thought the views over the glaciers was much more impressive. While the meal at Taku was ok it was just another meal to me. Also the day I was there was so warm all of the bears were hiding in the woods.

FYI I'm booked on the 5 Glacier flight for my cruise in June

Sounds as if you just hit on an "off" day.

The Taku Lodge Flight and Feast has been voted the top Juneau excursion for the last several years.

Mike:)

Hubby and I did it last June, best excursion ever! Truly was amazing to see the glaciers from above, flying over the mountains, the feast at the lodge was amazing, and to top it off, seeing bears in the wild in person, c'est magnifique!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the feedback, in particular explaining why you recommended the excursion. That helped make up my mind. Flight + Feast is booked. :)

Thanks,

Don

You will love it! :)

We rate it in the top 2 we have ever done.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Bummer! We had this booked last week but it was cancelled due to high winds (though it was a beautiful sunny day otherwise). Sounds like a great tour. We replaced it with Misty Fijords Float Plane from Ketchikan. That was good too. We landed on a mountain lake so we could get out on the floats.:eek: Great photo op.:D

Bummer! We had this booked last week but it was cancelled due to high winds (though it was a beautiful sunny day otherwise). Sounds like a great tour. We replaced it with Misty Fijords Float Plane from Ketchikan. That was good too. We landed on a mountain lake so we could get out on the floats.:eek: Great photo op.:D

My son and I booked the same excursion through the company.

We landed on one as well. So peaceful.

Did the lake have a small rock island in the middle near one end?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

My son and I booked the same excursion through the company.

We landed on one as well. So peaceful.

Did the lake have a small rock island in the middle near one end?

That's the one. A beautiful place. Only available by air unless you are a serious overland trekker.:eek:

I wish we could have done this excursion when we visited! We did, however, purchase Taku Salmon Jerky! Well, the best I have ever had. We got 3 bags when we were there in Aug. and have since placed 2 mail orders! total of 14 more bags. The little ones love it and just can't get enough of it and the are not even 2 yet! ( broken is small pieces of course!)