How to afford it?

etoile

We have actually been averaging about 2 cruises a year and Im actually planning to do 3 next year.. It sounds like your household makes about what we do give or take a little.. but it depends on what your priorities are.. I personally forgo things so that we can do vacations because thats what we love.. Im not the type of person who has to have "material things".. Id rather save that money and take a cruise, but thats just me.. I work overtime when Im able to, we put our income tax check towards our cruising.. I get small bonuses throughout the year which add up as does my boyfriend, I cut coupons and shop sales, I do flexible spending thru work to save tax dollars, I do a garage sale every few years, I ebay from time to time, we save our change. Since this is what we want to do, we make it happen.. We do repeat cruises from time to time mainly because we dont want to have to fly to florida and the drive is so far.. So we pick from New Orleans alot and have gone from Galveston a few times.. We have been on some of the newer bigger ships and we have been on the smaller older ships.. It makes no difference to me because we just love to cruise and love going to the different ports.. We have been on one particular ship which is a newer ship 2 times already and have it booked again for next year already.. But thats ok with us.. If we want to cruise and not spend a whole lot we get an inside cabin because we're not hardly in the room so that isnt a big deal for us either.. although we have stayed in an oceanview and balcony cabins too.. we mix it around according to what we can afford.. When we do cruise we hardly buy any souvenirs or anything, again because Im not a material type person.. I dont need those things.. we prefer to do excursions instead or buy a drink..Personally if I got more vacation days each year than we'd cruise even more.. I have 2 1/2 more years before I earn another week of vacation besides the 13 days so I cant wait.. I have a feeling we will take an extra cruise that year!

Also.. book early and get the discounts.. keep an eye on the prices.. if you book directly thru carnival then call them and they will lower your bill.. When we cruised with the kids in March I booked direct thru Carnival and I watched the prices every few weeks and I only had to call a few times because prices went down and they reduced the amt I owed because of this before it was paid off.. I ended up saving around $1500!! Im more of a savvy cruise shopper now.. I know what prices are good deals and I know when they arent as good.. I look back now at our first cruise.. we booked in February of that year with a TA for a cruise in July.. me and my boyfriend pd over $2400 for a 7 day cruise for an inside cabin for 2 people!!!! Just the thought of that price now makes my skin crawl.. I would never pay that much again.. So it goes without saying that it comes with learning .. We were able to do a 5 day cruise for me, him and our 5 kids for less than that price one year!!

I work as as a server at a restraunt and make a decent salary but I do not get paid for taking a vacation so I have to be frugal. However, stating that I always book a suite.

I save all my change and paychecks and pay the bills with my tips. I do not have credit card debt (only pay interest on mortgage and cars), dont drink anything but water at restraunts, I save all the napkins from fast food restraunts so I dont have to buy so many paper towels. (I am not this bad but my sisters father in law had a rule that you could only use two squares of toilet tissue for #1 and three squares for #2)

I also have a friend who cleans houses for a living so a couple months before the cruise I will help do some cleaning. It pays well and I use all that money for tipping and excursions.

I try to pay for everything I can before the cruise because there is nothing more depressing than having to pay for a vacation when it is over.

Its all about budgeting, I mean kill off your small credit card debt first, as you do you get a pay raise... Then with that extra money you been paying on those dirty old credit cards you set aside and PAY YOURSELF, put it in savings...before you know it youre on your next cruise. Paying off those credit cards dont mean running to the mall to get the latest shoes... just put some aside and save.

What I tell everyone is, Get a Yellow Pad, and write down all of your bills, Rent, Mortgage, Gas&Electric, Car note, Insurance, Cable bills, Credit cards, food... these are the ones you will pay forever...then see what you can kill off or what you can do without...(maybe get rid of the Cell phone or stop smoking), its when you write it down that you can see where everything is going out... when doing this you will be surprised as too where the rest of your money is going???

I did this with a Friend and he had 750.00 un-accounted for??? we never did find out where this money went, but due to it being down on paper, the following month he had 600.00 in his savings account and months later he took his first cruise (newly married).

Give it a try, Write October on the top of that Yellow Note pad and see where everything is going. :)

Everyone has pretty much covered everything, but I thought I'd add my

2 cents. I LOVE vacations, especially cruises, and I prefer to take one

that leaves out of my home port. (NYC/NJ).

Everyone prioritizes their money differently, and I set aside money every

week to my "vacation fund." Whether it's $20, $100 or more, I know that

I am contributing to something that I will enjoy immensly.

I do not have children, but if I did, I'm sure I would not be able to

vacation as much as I do. :-)

Interesting subject. I'm fairly new to cruising (Jan 04) and I would like to take one cruise a year. My dh only gets two weeks vacation and we do a close to home family style vacation.

We are probably the world's worst money managers. We both have worked hard all our lives. I stayed at home with my first two children and he worked two jobs for ten years. We have always earned decent money but have always spent it faster than we made it. I have spent entirely too many years kicking myself because I am not more fiscally responsible. But I am what I am and while I don't have much in material products, I have lots of wonderful memories but no money in the bank. Ahh well.

I would love to be as frugal and moneywise as all of you. But I'm not and I need to accept that and aim for one cruise a year.

For the OP... 24 is so young.. oh and I know how old that makes me sound. But I think I actually appreciate cruising so much more since I came to it later in life. At 24 you are just starting to build your life and everything should be an adventure. When I was 24 I had the time of my life pitching a tent under the stars. Everyone is right about setting priorities but at your tender age you can set many future priorities. Decide what it is you want to do at this stage in your life, knowing that the next stage will bring different priorities.

About the tax refund issue. "to thine own self be true". I purposely let the government hold my money. They hold onto that $25 a week much better than I do. I'd be buying better birthday presents, nicer shower gifts, larger wedding gifts, ordering pizza when I was too tired to cook. So now I don't have that $25 and must make do. That refund is always like a gift to me.

I also book early and make monthly payments until it's paid for. It's really not bad when you do it that way. We travel with our teenage daughters (three of them) and this year the 18 year old senior is bringing a friend. We are paying for the cost of the cruise and the friend will pick up air fare.

What do people mean when they say "monthly payments." To whom are you making the payments?

Thanks.

What do people mean when they say "monthly payments." To whom are you making the payments?

Thanks.

Your initial deposit is put on your CC which gives you a couple of months or longer to get it paid off depending on when you made your reservation . At 60 days out or so, the final payment is made. That now gives you 2 months to get the balance paid off so that you will have a zero balance to put the on-board charges on.

Dave

Gosh we have five people in our family and we make alot less than you and we stilll manage one family cruise and one alone cruise a year. We also do not spend a lot of money on stuff. We have 4 cars and one very low car payment but a huge car insurance bill with three teens. Our food bill is probably the highest bill we have. Teen boys never ever stop eating. We also but down the deposit then put aside the rest of the money as we go through the year. We always book a year in advance. Oh and my Mom pays for one of the kids. That really helps. In the end it is just a decision to do it. We had our 20 the anniversary and my SIL asked what kind of great jewelry did my husband get me. I said I don't want jewelry. The cost of that would take the whole family on a cruise. Oh another thing.... We moved to Fl to be closer to the ships and when we bought our house here real estate was much lower than in MD so our housing costs are actually lower and we don't have to fly.

Cruising is a way of living not just a vacation!!!! Cindy

Our food bill is probably the highest bill we have. Teen boys never ever stop eating. ..

Cruising is a way of living not just a vacation!!!! Cindy

Not having to buy groceries for a week may pay for one of the fares? :D

..As far as cruising as a way of life, I couldn't agree with you more :)

Charlie

There are some great ideas here. It has been great to read. I think the tip to prioritize is key. We don't wear expensive clothing, drive fancy cars or go to expensive restaurants. We allow ourselves one meal a week outside the house, which is a treat and is our "date night". I hope that by keeping up thse habits we can keep up our cruise habit!

I definitely understand the priority theory and agree...but my question is for those that work how are you able to get off for 2 or 3 weeks per year or more in some instances?

I know most places allow 2 weeks vacation after so many years but where does the rest come from?

Thanks a bunch, enquiring minds need to know!

I'm lucky I get 3 weeks vacation and 4 personal days. Plus I buy a week every year and since I travel for work on the weekends I get comp days that I usually wind up not using.

etoile,

My boyfriend and I (25, and 24 respectively) opened a joint savings vacation account 3 years ago, for our 5 year anniversary. We both put $50 a month into the account. When we take trips, we dip into this money to pay for it. And instead of buying each other expensive gifts for Valentine's Day or our anniversary, we each put the money we would have spent on gifts (we'll negotiate an amount that we both put in, like $100, to keep everything even) into our vacation account. Who needs roses and chocolates when you can give a gift of a vacation for the two of you to share later on.

When we first opened the account, we thought a weeklong cruise would be a great trip to take. Because of schedule conflicts we haven't gone on a cruise yet (he started a new job 2 yrs ago, and had no vacation. And then as soon as he did, he went to the Police Academy, and has spent the past year training to be a Police officer, and thus couldn't take time off. Now that he's an officer, and done with training, we might be able to find time.) But, we may be able to schedule one for November. Having our vacation account, with a few thousand dollars in it from saving diligently over the years, will cover our trip.

Find a way to put aside money regularly into a vacation fund. The $50 each/month we put in to our account allows us to take at least one big (week long) vacation a year, with enough money for a few other smaller vacations.

Hello,

I echo the sentiment of finding a cruise on sale............go to whatever cruise lines website and check their specials....they often have them far in advance...........pay the depsoit....save for final payment.......save spending money for the cruise........i save change for the extras......pays for parking....tips and a few other things......it really is amazing how much a little savings here and there come to.

I paid $992 for my wife and i on a 7 night cruise in a balcony stateroom. Comes to about $70.86 a day for a cabin and all the food i can eat......anything for less than $100 a day and you got a great deal...

Good luck.......

I cannot tell you what we have done without over the summer to afford this upcoming cruise but it has been worth it. Well it better darn well be. We don't eat out at all anymore and my husband and I have given up date night (in hindsight this was stupid). I did get a new bike but I am not doing nearly the races I normally do. No new clothes, except what I make etc.

• 1 month later...

Once you have your "cruise clothes" you have them; only YOU are the ones who have seen them! Just hang them in another closet and be ready to go when a bargain pops up.:) :)

Also, LISTEN at the airport. Coming back from our last Dec. cruise, I kept hearing them ask for people to give up their seats (the planes were ALL overbooked)...............they were giving first-class seats on the very next flights and tickets good for anywhere in the lower U.S., good for a year. Good for a year means TWO years because you can book it at the end of one year for the following year.

When I saw her walk to the podium I FLEW up there. We had four seats; she needed four. So, we are flying to our Nov/Dec cruise free (Oregon to Florida) and our D and SIL are using theirs to fly to DisneyWorld.:cool:

We try to take one each year for 7 days. Always interior staterooms during hurricane season. We make less than 20,000. per year in salary and wages, buy all of our clothing on clearance or at Goodwill, car is 20 years old, live in a 40 year old house trailer that is 12 by 60, have no extra's in life like dinners out or trips to the movies, clip coupons and pick up the change laying on the ground. Cruising is a need for us like cappucino is for others. Hubby works 65-70 hour work weeks, every week on the above salary. We would rather build memories and experiences rather than excess in a storage unit or stuffed in the attic, basement, etc. As others have said, it's all in priorities.

God bless you...the memories you make on your trips are worth more than anything else you could "own"...........:)

We are much better with our budget now that we cruise. All 6 of us cruise and this year two girlfriends will also be joining us. We pay for our family. Kids don't get paid for lawn mowing, helping around the house etc. as that "earned allowance" goes toward the cruise account. Girlfriends pay thier own way and they help me around the house/garden etc and I pay them and they put that money towards thier cruise budget.

Also, DH and I get a balcony and then we put three boys in one inside cabin and three girls in another across the hall. (oldest son is 21 so we have an adult signed to each cabin)

The NCL MBNA card has been a godsend. Just used $500 on an Alaskan cruise. DH and I plan to take a Mexican Riviera (just the 2 of us) for free next fall. We plan to accumulate points each year and splurge on just a couples cruise each year and then have a second cruise (that's been budgeted) with the entire family.

Also, during other time off we stay home and do projects or pretend we're tourists in our own town to save $$

Don't wait to cruise just because your 24. I started cruising in my early 30's and couldn't understand why it's something that's typically thought of as something just for newlyeds, old folks and college kids. My kids would gladly pass up a Disney trip for a cruise!!

One thing I did that helped me save money was when I paid my car off, I kept having the same amount deducted from my check and put directly into savings. That's $3600 per year. Since I paid the car off 5 years ago.....that's a lot of $$ in the bank. I have been fortunate, I have a '97 Saturn and it still looks and runs good. And I don't need to take a loan to fill it up. Yeah, sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a brand new car, but that $18k in the bank went towards the downpayment on my house. I live in Northern Va too, by the way, near Manassas. And when I DO have to get a new car, I'm already used to the payment coming out of the check so it's no hardship. It worked for me.

One other thing...we too paid off all our vehicles and take great care in making sure they are maintained etc. Hey, they aren't new but they still look and run just as good as some of the stuff others are still making payments on.

Also, (and this one hurt) we cut out all Starbucks. It was costing us a little over $300 :eek: bucks a month!! When I multiplied that by 12 months = $3600 I realized I was drinking away a really good cruise for two or more each year!!

As I posted earlier, saving has really been easier for us now that we have a very tangible goal for what we are saving and scrimping for.

We went on our first cruise before our son was born. That was 27 years ago. We went on our 2nd cruise when he graduated from college. He recently asked me why we didn't take him and his sister on a cruise. I told him that with the expenses related to having kids it wasn't possible. Braces, karate lessons, horseback riding, groceries, college, etc. Now that we don't have these expenses it has been a lot easier to save for 1 cruise a year. Plus with both kids having advanced degrees I feel I can spend their inheiritance.

Kevin

HAL Statendam Bermuda 1978

Carnival Paradise West Carib 2001

Carnival Galaxy East Carin 2003

NCL Majesty West Carib 2004

Carnival Valor West Carib 2005

Cellebrity Galaxy Panama Canal 2006

Carnival Spirit Hawaii 2007

Excellent idea, racephoto - I just got a nice raise so I will probably have my car paid off sooner than I expected! I will continue taking it out of my account as you suggested. I have a 98 Saturn and it's still running very well even though it's over 100k. :)

Hey Pirate, where do you get your coffee now? I made the switch away from Starbucks (they are SO expensive!) but I still find myself getting coffee at 7-11 and I feel guilty about that. It's less than $1.50 which sure beats Starbucks prices, but I feel like I should be doing it at home...and yet I still want to go to 7-11 because I like the flavor variety and stuff like that.

I bought myself a Senseo machine, I really enjoy the coffee I get from that. It's more expensive than regular coffee for sure, and I miss the various fresh ground coffees I used to buy. When the pods are on sale I stock up. I brew up a mug to take with me on my drive to work, and then try to subsist on teas for the rest of the day. It only takes 2 minutes. Of course I bought my Mom a HomeCafe machine for Christmas and she promptly started making her own pods by wrapping coffee grounds in paper towels! But the HomeCafe machine is poor quality IMHO, the plastic is cracked in quite a few places already.

Archived