How to afford it?

etoile

Okay, I have been wondering about this for a while. I know many posters on this board take one or more cruises per year, frequently staying in upper-category staterooms. This is going to seem like a strange question, but...how do you afford it? I enjoy cruising but I can really only afford one vacation per year. Between my partner and I we make more than $100k/yr and we don't live too extravagantly, but if we were to take a cruise every year we would be staying in the lowest category cabins all the time and would probably take a lot of repeat cruises because we couldn't afford to travel to distant departure ports. (We live near DC, so I imagine this is different for people who live in Florida.)

I know this probably seems like a naive question and I do feel really awkward asking it. I know I'm only 24 and that in the future I may very well have enough money to take multiple cruises every year. But for right now I am just wondering whether those of you who are very frequent cruisers do that rather than getting fancier things for the home (high-speed internet, TiVo, hot tub, whatever), or how you manage it.

Again, I feel so weird asking, but it's a question that's been in my mind for a while. :o

I think you hit upon the answer yourself - people set priorities and spend their money accordingly. It might mean eating out less frequently, no Tivo, cable without premium channels, budget cell phone plan, one car instead of two (or two cars instead of three), etc. Also, with older cruisers, they may no longer have the expenses of raising children or paying a mortgage. It's all about priorities.

I no longer have a morgage. I save the money up and go on a cruise once a year. If I want to go more I always travel inside rooms anyway. If Iwant to do a balconey for Alska I look for a group cruise. Usually cheaper and extras are thrown in, on the Freedom of the Seas we are getting 7 bottles of wine (so I do not need to buy anything to drink). I have done several group cruises. I find them to be sheaper in the long run of things. I have gotten, flowers, tiles, t-shirts, hats,alternative restuant meals, cabin credits etc. I also book excursion on my own sometimes to help depending on how long we are there.

For medical reasons I can not drive so I do not on a car. I'm retired so I shop on the day that gives my money back (10% savings). I put that money in the cruise account. I save my change and put it in the account to, this pays for tips by the time the cruise rolls around.

I do not stick to one cruise line. Celebrity was $1000.00 cheaper for the cabin then anyone else when this sailing came out so I jumped on it in Aug 2004 forJan 2006 sailing. That $1000.00 will pay for most of the excursions.

I agree it's about what choices you make.

We decided after our first cruise that it was such a great experience we would forgo our typical vacations in favor of cruises. Our next cruise we are taking the whole family (Me & DW, DD#1 who wil be 20 and DD#2 who will be 19 and DS 11) . The girls will be responsible for their own ship account spending (both working extra hard over the summer!). In addition, as it is the first week in January, all 3 are aware that the cruise IS their Christmas present. We initially thought cruising was ridiculously expensive, and the we looked back at what we've spent on other vacations. Disney...Forget it WAY more than a cruise. Williamsburg, VA..about the same. Even a week camping in Maine was about the same expenditiure when you add up the camp fees, the equipment we had to buy, food, PAYING $4.00 EACH per day for a shower!, gas, not to mention the shopping spree at L.L. Bean!

With 2 kids in college, it is tough but I'll keep driving my '96 Neon and forgo a new car in order to cruise!

My husband & I are splurging next year on a Windstar cruise. :D We have 2 young boys & own our own home. We make decent money, about the same as you, and we don't deprive ourselves. But we also don't put a lot of emphasis on material things either: I have a 13 year old car while everyone else is driving a late-model lease; neither me nor my DH are "into" brand-name-clothes; our house is cute but small ( & we won't be expanding/ remodeling it any time soon); we cook at home almost every night & rarely waste any money. I figure life is pretty uncertain: let's enjoy new experiences while we're young & healthy (thank God). And PS: save, save, save, don't waste it on the trivial things.

$10/ day just on coffee breaks costs $2600 a year.:eek:

etoile - a very good questions because if you look at this web site often enough you will see a large number of cruisers who cruise often, many taking more than 1 cruise a year. Lets put aside the fact there are people cruising that have big bucks to do it - and do it as often as they like. For a lot of us, we have raised our kids, paid for our home, and our income level has gone up with our age. It is all about priority. We choose to spend some of our extra cash on cruising. We also use credit card AA miles to fly "free" to whatever port we are going out of, if we can not drive to it in one day. A lot of today's 20-30's age generation, on the other hand, have lovely, huge homes with big notes, new cars, eat out often, wear designer clothing, and generally have materially what we have after 40 years of marriage. The difference is in the savings we have vs what they owe. They absolutely pay their bills, on time. and can afford what they have - they just don't have much left over. "I want it now" attitude. So you see - it is priority. The above posters have given you excellent ideas - its just about what you want - and how you can get there. Also, in the area you live, a dollar might just not go as far as a lot of other places, such as East Texas where I live.:D gg

When we first started cruising in 1991, we had a vacation account, with automatic deposits from each pay period. My husband and I made conscious decisions to eat lunch out just once weekly and put those savings into our vacation account. That alone amounted to $40 per week. Now that the kids are out of college (well almost - son is in his last year) and I work in the cruise industry, it certainly is easier.

But to echo the other sentiments expressed in this thread, cruising was a priority for us and we "sacrificed" some small things to make it happen. I'd make the same choice again as I feel cruising is the very best vacation...and the best vacation value.

We live in a condo ,drive small cars, buy clothes on sale, eat at fancy restaurants only for special ocassions and splurge on travel which works great for us . By saving money this way we can go on 3 nice vacations a year !

We make way less money than you & your partner, but we knew we wanted to take a cruise, so we just decided to cut small corners and see if we could afford it. We generally take several short trips a year, but decided to forego them in lieu of the cruise. We also quit eating out as often, and spending frivolously, put all change and small bills in a jar, and saved a certain amount out of each check. We have only been doing this since May when we booked, and we already have the cruise paid for in full, and I have been able to do a LOT of cruise shopping (since this is our first, we don't have a lot of the cruise 'basics') and it is looking like we will be able to afford to upgrade (we are currently inside) and have quite a chunk of disposable cash to spend on the ship and on excursions. It really wasn't that difficult, which leads me to believe that we will be able to do this A LOT!!!:D

We don't have children, which helps, and our car payments are very small and we plan on keeping the vehicles we have for awhile after they are paid off, and put the car payments into a fund for vacations. We have decided after 2 and a half years of marriage that seeing the world together and going on adventures will be our main focus!! Oh and I also get a decent quarterly bonus which goes to 'fun fund' (soon to be "cruise fund") in its entirety.

I never thought I would be able to afford cruising before, but what I have found so far is that is it surprisingly affordable. It also helps living near a departure port (Galveston.)

Good question, though!!

~Shannon~

Since you live in DC, you have the option of driving to Florida to save money for cruising. We often book Monday-Friday cruises during early February from Miami to either Cozumel or to the Bahamas. Last time we booked within ten days of the cruise and only paid $199 (including port fees and taxes). A year ago we booked a cruise from LA to Ensenada and Catalina last minute for $199.

We usually drive to Ft. Lauderdale area and stay at a very nice Motel 6 in Dania, Florida for a great price--great neighborhood and location next to a State Park and near the beach. I always reserve motel rooms far in advance at a low rate (usually in Disney Kissimmee area) but know I can cancel the motel without any penalty if a great cruise price comes up a week or two before sailing.

We will be driving from Plymouth, MA to Florida for the Month of February this year and can't wait for our winter cruise out of Miami.

We echo the thoughts of others here. Prioritize and save.

When friends ask how we can cruise so often we tell them "It's our hobby". And really it is.

One thing that you may be able to do is get a cruise line credit card. We have one for NCL and it's worth about $1,000 a year off of an NCL cruise :)

Happy Cruising,

Charlie

Etoile . . . it doesn't surprise me that so many are able to take several cruises a year. Many earn a lot more money than you and I and have flexible work schedules . . . a lot are retired and have invested wisely for their "Golden Years" . . . and still others budget for their two, three or more cruises a year. When I was married, we took two or three vacations a year (though only about one cruise every ten years . . . my former husband wasn't real excited about cruises). It was great to be able to travel all over the world (as a former flight attendant, the discount or free flights and hotel rooms helped a lot). Now, as someone who travels alone . . . I only take one vacation a year . . . and it's been a cruise. I no longer have the option of paying for even that one cruise in full . . . at one time (unless I want to charge it which I don't do). I book my yearly cruises months in advance and pay a little each month. I also put aside money for my S&S card so I don't face a huge credit card bill upon my return. As many have already said, it's a matter of priorities. :)

Start easy. Start with a simple three day cruise to the Bahamas. Book an inside cabin. Don't do shore excursions. Walk around the shopping streets of Nassau or take a taxi over to see the Atlantis Hotel. Learn what's what about cruising. Stay on the ship and enjoy its amenities. Almost everything on the ship is free except spa treatments, alcoholic bdrinks and soft drinks.

Also shop for cruise bargains. There are times of the year when the exact same cruise will be far cheaper...such as mid-January, early December and late November, September (hurricane season.) Stay away from peak season cruises.

That way, it is like wading into water a footstep at a time. You still get the experience of cruising, find out what you like and don't like and learn your lessons without blowing a lot of money such as you might on a seven day cruise, for example.

If you do take an annual vacation, keep in mind that on a cruise your meals are all paid. You never need to spend one cent on food if you don't want. Movies are free. The theater shows are free. So you aren't being nickled and dimed to death by paying for every little thing, such as you would on a "freestyle" vacation.

Yeah, I'd probably be able to have alot of money on all these "expenses" that I go through daily.

Starbuck's Daily -$5.00/day -$1825/year (once you add it up! WOW! :D )

Lunches Daily -$15.00/day -$5475/year (oh geez!!!)

About 100 Carry Out Dinners

-Averaging $25 each (5 people

-$2500/year

About 25 Fancy Dinners (for just two ;) ) at $75 each -$1875/year

I guess I save a lot of money by buying really reduced clothes. I get Ralph Lauren Polos for $10.00, $70 SportShirts for $7 or less ( :) ), and much much more.

I also do have a lot in savings and a 5-year CD (at 5.10% APY :p ). My wife and I also make more than $160,000 a year. And, so far I only took one cruise. But, trust me, those Starbuck's and those lunches get very expensive.

-Chris

We took our 2nd cruise last month. Our 1st cruise was over 12 yrs. ago, so we were novices this time. We didn't plan well, & spent way more than we should have. Our cruise was to Alaska, which is a very expensive cruise. Wish I had some of that money back. :o We learned a lot from this experience & now know how to look for bargains. We currently have 3 cruises booked, which all totaled don't add up to that one. Like others have mentioned, we're not extravagant spenders. We do have a nice home, but I bought my van used & my husband's work van has been paid for for a long time. We rarely eat out & don't go to the theater. I'm also not a big shopper, so I save by not even going into stores. Also, we realized that cutting out weekend getaways would free up money for longer trips. On a side note, many of the people who cruise frequently are seniors. They can easily cruise, when the prices are cheaper. They also get a discount for their age. Anyone can recieve a discount on some lines for being a return guest. For those who are eligible for all these discounts, they can add up quickly. BTW, this is an interesting topic. :)

My first cruise was not even a year ago in November 2004. I took another one in APril 2005 and will be taking another one in December 2005.

My teenage daughter and my daughter's best friend always cruise with me (I pay for both of them)

I am a single mom and I make about $42,000 a year.

So how do we do it? Prioritize like everyone else. My daughter looks forward to the cruises as much as I do. My car is 9 years old so no car payments. We try to eat dinners at home as much as possible and while my daughter is definitely into name brand clothing (School shopping just took a HUGE chunk of money) I do not wear name brands.

Our trick? We do short 3 or 4 night cruises. They are cheaper and we drive to Port Canaveral so no airfare( We live in Atlanta). This way instead of only doing one 8 night cruise a year because of cost, we can actually do two and three a year of the shorter ones.

Works for us :)

By the way- Very interesting thread.

Laura

There are some excellent points mentioned above. May I suggest you keep track of every dollar spent over a month's time. You will be probably be shocked at what and how it is spent.

How much is being spent for cable, internet, phone, coffee, alcohol, and entertainment? These would be easy areas to reduce. As others have said, prioritize. If it's important to go cruising, than reduce other areas. If you check, most of us that are 20-40 years older than you survived without these things when we were your age. In most cases, we couldn't afford them. Another huge expense that can be eliminated is interest on credit cards.

A final thought, remember that you're only 24. When I was that age I was more concerned with paying off student loans, finding a good job, and paying the bills. Entertainment was driving to town to shop for groceries or having the neighbors over to play cards or board games. Entertaining yourself is not only cheap, it is often better for relationships and raising families.

Remember, there ARE people out their (not me!) who live the American Dream......ON CREDIT. I could afford 2-3 cruises every year IF I only paid the minimum due on any credit cards, equity loans.....etc. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: If YOU are offended by this post please realize that I do not know YOU or am I referring to YOU! But, you may want to take a better look at your lifestyle :rolleyes:

A LOT OF GOOD IDEAS THERE FOR YOU! I am only able to go every 2 yrs or so, due to starting over (due to divorce...women don't always get everything....lol), the good thing is that my job is long established 22 yrs. But even though I admit to being addicted to cruises, I set my limits so that my home is not neglected, plus it gives me something to look forward to! I have a christmas account through payroll deduction....that is incorrectly labeled....it is cruise money, also have a large water jug, all change goes there for spending money, tips, shore excursions! When we go it is totally paid for...that way we may be broke when we get back, but we do not owe anything! then start planning the next one!

this is something we do......we book our cruises a year in advance and then send royal caribbean some money every month. we treat it like a credit card bill. this way when the FINAL payment comes due we don't need a defribrilator!!!! this will be our 3rd cruise coming up. probably our last for awhile (as other expenses in the near future are presenting themselves) so we're doing it up. we got a balcony cabin (for the first time). we send royal caribbean whatever we can. some months 500.00, some months 1000.00, etc. there are 4 of us so this is a very costly cruise plus it is during christmas week. anyway, by the time sept. 25 rolls around we will have a very small balance.

Archived