Wanted to share my excitement--mini-suite!

flipoid

I am so excited!!!!!--we were originally booked for a balcony cabin on the Riviera Deck for our May 2006 Caribbean Princess cruise; last night we decided to splurge and get a mini-suite. We'll be in E728--can anyone give me any information on that mini-suite? I know it's not the same as E728 on the other Grand Class ships, because they somehow got an extra mini-suite on the CB so it's not the very last cabin with the extended balcony (I understand that's E730 on the CB). But I still think we'll be really happy with the larger room, and the full-size tub/shower as opposed to just the shower stall. This is our first Princess cruise; we're looking forward to trying a different line (even though it IS owned by Carnival now). Only nine months to go!

A great stateroom but a helluva walk to any where. No one walks past during the evening so its quiet and you will not be disturbed at night.

Hmmmmmmmm. I kind of disagree. Very convenient to the Palm Dining room, elevators to Horizon Court and Carib Cafe. Also Terrace pool. The only time we found the walk long was for catching a tender to Princess Cays, or getting off the ship in port. But even that was convenient for walking off the Love Boat Dream, and assorted other desserts. Seriously though, unless you are doddering, it isnt a problem. Im just a tad over 60, and had no trouble.

Thanks for the responses! I was hoping I'd hear from someone who had a similar room on the CB, not on the Grand or the others where the balcony is that extended one.

I don't think either of us will mind the walk--we will walk off all the food that we'll eat on the cruise. (-:

I did tell my travel agent to put "no upgrade" on our reservation, since I DON'T want to be "upgraded" to one of the mini-suites on the Dolpin Deck that has an uncovered balcony. That's one of the main reasons we decided to splurge for the larger cabin--as long as the balcony is covered.

I do think we will be very happy with it--especially having more room in the cabin even though there are only 2 of us (and having a full-size tub/shower). I also think we will enjoy not being in a high-traffic area, so it will be quiet at night.

I'm glad we decided to make the switch now while we still haven't made final payment--I've read on other threads how it's very hard to switch cabins after final payment has been made. The way I see it, if the cabins are still available, and if the cruiseline (not just Princess, but any cruiseline) is getting more money out of the passenger since it's probably going to be more expensive, it shouldn't be hard to do. But then, I don't work for the cruise lines, so I don't know the logistics of having people make those types of changes, especially after final payment.

Flipoid,

You are going to be really spoiled now. We went from having mini-suites to having full suites. It gets in your blood. I can't imagine going back to a regular balcony cabin.

And having a covered balcony (which is relatively rare for mini-suites) is a real plus because you will be able to enjoy it even when the sun is hot on everyone else's balcony or it is raining. (Hope you don't get any on your cruise).

Have a wonderful, wonderful cruise.

Roberta

We have E728 on our September 24th CB Cruise, I'll let you know how it is when we get back..

Thank you so much, scottydog! I was hoping I'd hear from someone who either had been, or will be, in that specific cabin on the CB before we sail next May. I look forward to hearing your report. I switched travel agents just because I found a TA that had this specific cabin available when all of the other ADs on the Emerald deck are already booked.

The covered balcony is one of the main reasons we changed from the regular balcony on the Riviera deck to the mini-suite on the Emerald deck. I DON'T want to be "upgraded" to one of the Dolphin deck mini-suites because of their open balconies. So I'm hoping that doesn't happen. Now, I wouldn't mind being upgraded to a FULL suite at no extra charge (you are right, we are going to be spoiled--first cruise was an oceanview room, next cruise was a balcony, this is a mini-suite), but I hope we don't get bumped out of this mini-suite because it CAN hold 3-4 passengers and there are only the 2 of us. I have read on other threads that this can happen.

We also have a covered Emerald mini in December (but on the Star). A question for all you Princess veterans....are the covered balconies on Emerald the same size or smaller than the open balconies on Dolphin deck? Is there room/chairs for 4 or only for 2?

Thanks much!

Another reason to be happy about switching to a mini-suite, read the posts on the Princess board about mini-suite/suite upgrades. :)

Thanks, yes I've seen them. We're looking forward to those complimentary glass of champagne and the comfy bed. YAY!

I do think we will be very happy with it--especially having more room in the cabin even though there are only 2 of us (and having a full-size tub/shower). I also think we will enjoy not being in a high-traffic area, so it will be quiet at night.

I'm glad we decided to make the switch now while we still haven't made final payment--I've read on other threads how it's very hard to switch cabins after final payment has been made. The way I see it, if the cabins are still available, and if the cruiseline (not just Princess, but any cruiseline) is getting more money out of the passenger since it's probably going to be more expensive, it shouldn't be hard to do. But then, I don't work for the cruise lines, so I don't know the logistics of having people make those types of changes, especially after final payment.

I called Princess last week and they had a "Flash Promotion" going on for our 9/3 cruise on the CB. I was asking about upgrading to a mini and they were going to give me the Flash Promotion rate...we have of course already paid in full, but we had booked directly through Princess. They were on the Empress deck as well, but because it was so far from everything, we opted to stay on the Baha deck with a balcony. I am sure I will regret it as I read another post yesterday talking about how wonderful the room was! Enjoy!

OK people now I am really worried. We are on the Dolphin Deck for 9/3 on Caribbean Princess. Is the open balcony really so bad that you would rather have a basic balcony room over a mini-suite to avoid it? Also, no one ever answered the post re: the size of the open balconies. Are they the same size as the covered and partially covered balconies? I hope we haven't made a mistake... :confused:

You haven't made a mistake staying in a mini-suite. The open balconies are large and on our cruise last October on the Diamond only one day was the balcony not pleasant and that was the last day coming into LA - it was cold. I really enjoyed the open balcony. The major problem with a balcony cabin is the small bathrooms. You will not regret your choice for the bathroom alone in the mini-suite plus the extra space.

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed my cabin today from a Dolphin Deck mini-suite to an Emerald Deck covered balcony mini for our CB cruise June 2006. I have read so much about the benefits of a covered balcony, I just couldn't resist changing. Not only am I getting what I think is a better cabin, but we are saving $200! No upgrade for us now unless it is to a full suite! BTW, if you want to change mini's for that sailing, better hurry, there was only one more Emerald deck mini left after I booked E727. E725 is still available.

From what I've been reading as well, I think that the smaller (standard-sized?) balcony will, for me, be a small price to pay for having the covered balcony. I also think we'll enjoy the regular tub/shower. Sometime, if we sail Princess again and can't afford the mini-suite, I'd like to try the balcony cabins on the Caribe deck. Or see about getting E730 on the CB (wasn't available when I booked; in fact, no more mini-suites on the Emerald deck are available for my sailing) to get the extended balcony mini-suite.

I'll be looking forward to reading scottydog123's opinion of E728 at the beginning of October--it's nice to get feedback from someone who has had the same cabin that you've booked.

We had a mini suite on the Dolphin deck when we sailed. We were originally on the emerald deck but found out that alot of the balcony's are obstructed. So bumped up 1 more level. On that level the balconys had room for 2 chairs a small table. From looking down onto the emerald deck the balconys seemed the same.

We are sailing on the Crown in 2007 and went up 1 more floor again to the Caribe deck.

I've read a lot about people who are worried about getting an upgrade they don't want and requesting "no upgrade". When we booked our cruise, we were told that Princess had put us on a list for a possible upgrade. I splurged and booked a fairly expensive cabin (PS aft) so there aren't too many places to which we can "move up". Not wanting to have a PH midships (next category up), I asked about the possible upgrade. My TA said that you can always refuse an upgrade; it's not manditory. Was this not true or is everyone worrying for nothing? :rolleyes:

We had a mini suite on the Dolphin deck when we sailed. We were originally on the emerald deck but found out that alot of the balcony's are obstructed. So bumped up 1 more level. On that level the balconys had room for 2 chairs a small table. From looking down onto the emerald deck the balconys seemed the same.

We are sailing on the Crown in 2007 and went up 1 more floor again to the Caribe deck.

None of the mini-suites on the Emerald deck of the CB have obstructed balconies, nor can anyone look down on them.

You must be referring to the far aft BB catagory balcony cabins :confused:

I also wish I had known about the Emerald Deck mini's with the extended balcony before now. It took a lot of reading this board to learn about them, and by that time they were taken. Maybe next time!

We booked mini-suite E731 on the CB with the extended balcony on the New year's cruise 15 months before sailing. It was fantastic!

As soon as the 2006/2007 sailings became available for booking last month, we booked E731 again :D for the Halloween cruise 2006 (another 15 months before sailing). My DB & SiL who are going with us booked E730.

Archived