Wifi on board the navigator

Does anyone have experience with the wifi on board the navigator? We are doing an Alaskan cruise in June and wondering how easy it is to connect, and if it is worth purchasing the package. Im traveling with my mom and we both enjoy using our iPads. I'd love to hear of others' experiences with the wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

kerrianno, I will begin live-blogging our Alaska cruise this week, and will report on the current state of the wifi. Bandwidth on all Regent ships has been increased within the last year or two, but speed still can't compare to your home connection. Packages are pricey, so it will have to be your call whether it is worth it or not to purchase one. One of the Regent perks I like best is free internet, which I got when I reached Silver status (at least 21 nights sailed). Beginning this October you'll have to attain Gold to get free internet, although Regent is now offering free internet to all on "select" cruises.

Have been on for just about 10 days now and have had great internet reliability and speed in our suite. The fact that there is a router just outside our suite may help with connectivity to the wifi onboard. :) I do log on a few times a day and have not experienced any dead zones during this cruise. (Sfo-Van)

On both of our Alaska cruises (one on the Navigator), there were spots where internet was not available at all (believe they are called "dead zones"). It will be interesting to learn if these still exist.

The dead zones still and probably will always exist.

The dead zone in the extreme latitudes are really just a shadow effect where the ship's satellite antenna can not see the satellite.

The nearer to the poles the more obtuse the signal becomes. Two main features cause the shadows. The terrain is the main one. The other is the ship itself. At certain sailing directions, mainly close to due north or due south, the ships funnel will act to shadow the antenna. On some ships they ameliorate this problem by having 2 antennas, one are each end of the ship.

j

31/425

The dead zones still and probably will always exist.

The dead zone in the extreme latitudes are really just a shadow effect where the ship's satellite antenna can not see the satellite.

The nearer to the poles the more obtuse the signal becomes. Two main features cause the shadows. The terrain is the main one. The other is the ship itself. At certain sailing directions, mainly close to due north or due south, the ships funnel will act to shadow the antenna. On some ships they ameliorate this problem by having 2 antennas, one are each end of the ship.

j

31/425

Thank you for the explanation. I suspect that we may encounter dead zones when we are in Norway on the Voyager. Preparing to suffer from internet withdrawal;)

Have been on for just about 10 days now and have had great internet reliability and speed in our suite. The fact that there is a router just outside our suite may help with connectivity to the wifi onboard. :) I do log on a few times a day and have not experienced any dead zones during this cruise. (Sfo-Van)

I'm responding to your comment, Vitacura, about the router outside your cabin. Can you give an approximate location of your cabin? I'm on Navigator, 9th deck, starboard side, near the bow, in November. I'm hoping that router, or one like it, will be close to my abode, too. Jack

I'm responding to your comment, Vitacura, about the router outside your cabin. Can you give an approximate location of your cabin? I'm on Navigator, 9th deck, starboard side, near the bow, in November. I'm hoping that router, or one like it, will be close to my abode, too. Jack

Hi Jack,

Sorry for the delay, I don't get on here too much while traveling. Tomorrow we disembark in Vancouver, and after 19 nights on board, it is tough to face reality again. :)

We are currently on deck 10. I took a walk down deck 9 toward the front of the ship to take a look and found the routers at these locations:

Between suites 905 and 904

In the vicinity of suites 910 and 911

In the vicinity of suites 921 and 922.

Hope this helps!

Edited by vitacura

Hi Jack,

Sorry for the delay, I don't get on here too much while traveling. Tomorrow we disembark in Vancouver, and after 19 nights on board, it is tough to face reality again. :)

We are currently on deck 10. I took a walk down deck 9 toward the front of the ship to take a look and found the routers at these locations:

Between suites 905 and 904

In the vicinity of suites 910 and 911

In the vicinity of suites 921 and 922.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Vitacura, it helps a lot since we are in 905. Now, one more thing, explain the iPod platform and the iPad arrangements in these cabins, if you will. Is an iPad provided or do I bring mine? Thanks! Jack

Thank you, Vitacura, it helps a lot since we are in 905. Now, one more thing, explain the iPod platform and the iPad arrangements in these cabins, if you will. Is an iPad provided or do I bring mine? Thanks! Jack

Hi Jack,

Since you are in a Penthouse C, you can ask your Butler to provide an iPad for your use during the cruise. He will brink you an iPad with a leather case and a charger. He can also show you how to set up your account and logon to the wifi network.

Alternative is also, you can bring along your own if you prefer. (Many do this as they have apps or games they like)

Hope it helps!

Happy Cruising. :)

Hi Jack,

Since you are in a Penthouse C, you can ask your Butler to provide an iPad for your use during the cruise. He will brink you an iPad with a leather case and a charger. He can also show you how to set up your account and logon to the wifi network.

Alternative is also, you can bring along your own if you prefer. (Many do this as they have apps or games they like)

Hope it helps!

Happy Cruising. :)

It does help a lot. I will leave mine behind. No games wanted on a cruise. Stay in touch. Jack