Cabin 1600 Jewel of the Sea

I am thinking strongly about booking this GS cabin. It is all the way aft with a wrap around balcony. Will this sleep 4 adults comfortably? Has anyone stayed in this cabin that can give me some insight? Thanks to all that reply!

I haven't stayed in 1600 on Jewel, but have stayed in 1100 on Radiance, her sister/near twin ship. The balconies do not wrap around the side - they taper off to a point. You do have some great views from there, but not as much as on, say Vision, where the balcony is wide open on the side. The upside of the more limited view is that it's not as windy.

We got a peek at 1600 and it looked quite nice. I think there's a full privacy curtain separating the sofa bed from the real bed, but I would be that the sofa bed would be uncomfortable for 2 adults. Also a curtain is only going to give you visual privacy, not audio, and there's not much room between the foot of the bed and the sofa bed when it's made up.

We'll be in 1600 on Brilliance in October and are really looking forward to it!

We just got back from a Med cruise on Brilliance where we had 1600. It is a wonderful cabin - very private and spacious with a great balcony - but I would say that it would not sleep 4 adults comfortably. Our 11 year old son slept on the sofa bed and it was fine for him, but it was only about 4 feet wide. A couple of times he rolled down the back as the bed hadn't been pushed back far enough to the wall! My other gripe was that the sheets used to make up the sofa bed weren't big enough. They sort of sat on the bed, rather than tucked in around it. As soon as he moved, he was wrapped up in them like a mummy!!!

I wouldn't stay in any other cabin on the Radiance class ships, but only really for three.

Hope this helps.

Judith

• 5 months later...

We were in Grand Suite 1600 a week ago on the Serenade.

It is a gorgeous cabin. It is spacious and has more storage than the two of us (overpackers) could ever use. It would be uncomfortable for four adults, IMHO. The bathroom is not as large as the grand suite bathroom on the Adventure of the Seas. It had a very high bathtub/shower which was very hard to step into. Also, it had a bothersome shower curtain.

The balcony is not huge, nor is it wraparound. There was no more or less privacy on the balcony. You could look down, look up, and look to the side and see people. Smoke was a problem from smokers on the balconies.

I felt that there was a lot of wasted space in the cabin because of the long hall from the door to the sleeping area.

The layout of the cabin is a little funky, too. There is an angled wall and this is where the bed is. It was very disorienting to sleep there on most nights, because the ship was rocking a lot. I found it strange, because in other cabins, you either rock from side to side or head to toe. I had to sleep on the sofa most nights.

It was very far to walk from the elevator to the cabin. It is pretty much half the length of the ship. Even though the windjammer was directly over us (more about that in a minute) it took a long time to get there from the cabin. One morning I realized I forgot to lock the safe and Steve had to run back to check. It was unlocked. I have some difficulty walking so it was a challenge any time we left or returned to the suite.

There was a lot of noise from the outdoor portion of the Windjammer overhead. It was surprising because we have never had any real issues with noise in the past.

As soon as we saw how far the cabin was from the elevator we tried to switch -- even for a balcony. The ship was booked to capacity.

We were convinced to take this cabin when we booked a year ago on the Adventure. It may be fine for some people, but it was not our cup of tea and would never book an aft cabin again.

Too far, too loud, too much motion.

I have attempted to attach five photos.

Judy

260247959_Oursuite2.jpg.baea22e29cb85e0e3633a87f8fceed13.jpg

405163962_Oursuite1.jpg.773942463f13957b7a3eb0fc95a8ed33.jpg

1261935206_Oursuite3.jpg.b86567080400db05aa80d55e63f17bf5.jpg

921667688_Oursuite4.jpg.8e4d286bf6632bf2228e08602871bb64.jpg

Balcony2.jpg.2c0cda212961295060e84b90948f99c4.jpg

It's a long walk, but to me that's not the major deterrent. As I said in August, we've had both 1100 and 1600, and for the money, 1100 (JS) is far better. The full suite is nice, but the extra perks (Concierge Club, priority disembaration, little treats) don't make the extra price worth it, IMHO. As Judy said, it's gorgeous but a little weird in the layout. I didn't mind the bed placement, but the closet sucks for such a large cabin (petty of me, but when DH & I were getting ready to do anything, we kept bumping into each other because the closet is kind of tucked into a corner).

The balcony was smaller than 1100 and is smaller than JS 1602 next door. The decor is pretty, the CD player in nice if you carry that stuff with you, but I didn't think it was worth more than about $100 (which was our difference) over a JS - most are a lot more.

We had cabin 1100 while our friends had 1600 on our cruise to Alaska last summer. I will say that our balcony was bigger. They had 5 people in that room, they brought a roll-a-way bed for the fifth person. My friend slipped getting out of the Bath Tub because it is very high off the ground. The concierge service was fun but remember that when you start going above the JS you get the extra tip. :)

We love the Aft cabins and don't mind the walk, I really didn't think it was that far of a walk. We also like being out of the wind, where even in Alaska we could lay out!!

Misty

• 4 weeks later...

I am so uncertain what to do. We have GS 1030 booked for JOS next year but GS 1600 sounded appealing.:) I am a very, very light sleeper so the noise from Windjammer plus cigarette smoke makes it less appealing. :mad: What does everyone think??

Thanks

Jane

1600 didn't have any noise from the Windjammer that would keep you awake, nor did we experience any cigarette smoke from there. If the people next to you smoke in their cabin, you'll have that issue no matter what cabin you're in.

If I were committed to the GS, I would go for 1600 because we love being all the way aft.

stayed in 1600 Serenade twice, have 1600 booked for October on the Jewel...LOVE the view, use the walk to burn calories, no noise from Windjammer, never had a problem with smoke...we love having sunshine on the balcony (which 1030 has only a small portion of any day)...BUT, the more that don't like 1600, the better our opportunities to book it!!!!!;)

Archived