Has anyone taken this 14 day?

Tee & Chilli

14 Night Cruise from Vancouver (Round Trip)

Ship Name:
Norwegian Sun

Ports of Call:

Vancouver, Cruise Inside Passage , Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait, Juneau, Sawyer Glacier, Skagway, Ketchikan, Cruise Inside Passage and Vancouver

Any thoughts on visiting ports twice? one person single supp about the same price of B2B - $2100

Edited by TeeChi
Forgot info

We did the ms Amsterdam (HAL) round trip out of Seattle in September, 2012

When we started researching this trip, we compared the itineraries and found we liked the Holland America one better.

But in the end - it will be your final decision. My suggestion - compare the two itineraries and decide which one suits your needs best.

Which ever one you pick, I know you will have a great time.

Okie

Any thoughts on visiting ports twice? one person single supp about the same price of B2B - $2100

There is not a problem visiting ports twice IF you have the budget to take in the tours/excursions/activities offered in the ports. To me, Alaska is all about escaping the ports themselves and getting more into the depths/wilderness of Alaska to experience things that are Alaskan. With two days in some of the ports you have the opportunity to really explore the ports and their surrounding areas in more depth.

I like that this itinerary gives you the three main glacier areas to visit along the cruise route: Glacier Bay, Hubbard and Tracy Arm Fjord (Sawyer Glacier). Having two days for Hubbard could be a good thing, because it is not uncommon for Hubbard Glacier to get fogged in. Having a day in Seward is also awesome!!! Most cruise ships do not stop there for a day, not even the 14 day HAL itinerary. Some cruises begin or end there, but often people don't take advantage of the town. Seward is a great port to spend a day.

Yes, you get Homer, Anchorage and Kodiak on the HAL 14 day, BUT you get time in Vancouver if you wish, Seward, Glacier Bay (big plus in my mind) and Skagway (Bennett Scenic Journey with Chilkoot Tours was awesome!!!!!) with this NCL back to back cruise.

I am not familiar with the sun, but what I do like about the HAL ships is they have a wrap around Promenade Deck and they have a bow they open up on the scenic sailings days. Every cruise has its pluses and minuses. None will be perfect. You just have to find what works best for you.

As I said to begin with, I think it is a great cruise if you have the budget to take the excursions in each port. If not, then I would probably recommend a 7 day cruise and take advantage of some awesome excursions.

Edited by vbmom87

Thanks everyone!

My thoughts were the same as VBMom87. :) I like the idea of visiting several glaciers. I'm torn with excursions and this trip allows me to do 2 or 3 excursions per port. I also like Seward. I currently have a 7 day Northbound booked with one night in Seward to take advantage of the Kenai Fjords Cruise. I'm seriously considering cancelling that 2015 trip and booking this one.

HAL has a good 14 day for double the price of this cruise with NCL for a single supplement. I can only see the base cost on HAL and it apepars the 2015 has not opened.

I need to start reaching NCL. I've only sailed with them once from Venice.

We have been able to cruise to Alaska quite a few times and would take this in a minute. If you take a shore excursion one time, you can look around town the next. Skagway has an interesting free walking tour run by the Park Service.

If you're in Ketchikan on a weekday you can take the local bus to Totem Bight.

In Juneau there's a local shuttle to Mendenhall glacier.

Doing this in less than 2 weeks. Chose it for the variety of glacier sea days. We have not had any trouble finding wonderful excursions (all on our own) in every port x2. We have 3-6 hours of each day at port scheduled with excursions and will be geocaching on our own in our spare time. I can't imagine that we will be bored by the repeat for one second! We are a family of 5, with 3 boys who were "free." (We also had decided to make it a double since the kids were free.). I can report back if wanted. We will be home June 17th.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Doing this in less than 2 weeks. Chose it for the variety of glacier sea days. We have not had any trouble finding wonderful excursions (all on our own) in every port x2. We have 3-6 hours of each day at port scheduled with excursions and will be geocaching on our own in our spare time. I can't imagine that we will be bored by the repeat for one second! We are a family of 5, with 3 boys who were "free." (We also had decided to make it a double since the kids were free.). I can report back if wanted. We will be home June 17th.

Yes!! Please report back to assist me and others. Thank you

We looked at HAL's as well as the Sun's 14-day itinerary and found the Sun best suited our interests (we like glaciers and whales). We liked the fact that the Sun allowes us multiple glacier viewing opportunities, a full day in Seward so we can take the Kenai Fjords tour and in Juneau, we have two opportunities to go whale watching. We also found the Sun to be cheaper than HAL. For us, the itinerary matters more than the ship -- some people might see otherwise.

Please come back to the board and let us know about your Sun experience --- I, for one, am very interested as we will be sailing this itinerary (except swapping out Whittier for Seward) next year.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!

Edited by Italy52

Can you tell me what kind of room you were able to get for a family of 5? I looked into it briefly, but didn't find much. I had actually heard that it might be cheaper to get 2 inside rooms, even with the "free" kids promo.

We are booked into a room on the Sun that sleeps 5, 8216. It is ocean view. We have traveled before with NCL and booked a balcony with an inside across the hall on the Jewel. And have booked a similar set up on the getaway (they also have rooms which will hold 5-but it WAS cheaper to book 2 separate rooms.). However, with the kids sail free promo that was running when we booked last year, it was much cheaper to get one room. Full price for adults, free for kids. Which prompted me to make it 2 weeks and bring the kids... Since they were free :). Now, I just hope we all survive the 2 week trip together in one room!

Valid concern! We are thinking about doing it in a few years, when the kids are about 8, 8, and 10.

All depends on the personalities of those involved. Last summer my DH and I (60s) went camping in a pop :eek: up with our DS and his wife (30s) and their three children (1.5, 4, and almost 7) Not a complaint from anyone, however, we are all easy going people. Truly depends on the people involved in sharing the space.

We are booked into a room on the Sun that sleeps 5, 8216. It is ocean view. We have traveled before with NCL and booked a balcony with an inside across the hall on the Jewel. And have booked a similar set up on the getaway (they also have rooms which will hold 5-but it WAS cheaper to book 2 separate rooms.). However, with the kids sail free promo that was running when we booked last year, it was much cheaper to get one room. Full price for adults, free for kids. Which prompted me to make it 2 weeks and bring the kids... Since they were free :). Now, I just hope we all survive the 2 week trip together in one room!

WOW! You are brave. I cannot imagine 5 people in an Oceanview cabin on any ship. Not to mention 5 people sharing only 1 bathroom in that tiny cabin.

The Star had a 2 bedroom family suite (with 2 bathrooms) that looked great. We saw it on our CC Cabin Crawl.

Hope you have a great cruise!

WOW! You are brave. I cannot imagine 5 people in an Oceanview cabin on any ship. Not to mention 5 people sharing only 1 bathroom in that tiny cabin.

The Star had a 2 bedroom family suite (with 2 bathrooms) that looked great. We saw it on our CC Cabin Crawl.

Hope you have a great cruise!

You can do lots of things when you're young! A number of years ago we had all five of us in a cabin - bunk beds, and at that time the bathroom was down the hall.:)