Just off Serenade: Alaska

:) My Dad and I just returned from a 7-day Alaskan cruise on the Serenade. It was my Dad's 16th cruise, my 6th, and we had a blast! The ship is gorgeous, the crew is simply fabulous and the U.S. Direct system re:customs and baggage handling is really slick. Those people really know what they're doing. We are already planning to go again next year. If you go, do splurge and go on the fly-out flyfishing trip in Juneau. It was the best shore excursion either of us has ever been on. Just fantastic all the way around. Worth every penny. We are so impressed with RCCL.

Sounds like you love the Serenade as much as us. We've been on it 4 times, twice already this year with Christmas coming up for number 5. We've met a lot of crew on the ship so we're curious...who were your waiters?

barbyma...thought we'd give you some insight to the rooms. We have been in 7176, aft (Alaska)....absolutely awesome, the best ever and we got it with luck through a guarantee booking about 3 weeks before sailing; 9548 (Hawaii) normal balcony room; 3564 (Alaska) large porthole ... more noisy on the outside and

window got very salty; 8532 (Caribbean) normal balcony.

We were in cabin 9626, a regular balcony cabin about midship. It was smaller than we were used to on Holland, but perfectly adequate. Our table was in the smaller dining room on the port side (#202). Our servers were Natasha and Goran. They were really good. Very efficient. The table was perfect. Next to a huge round window. We watched Orca sailing out of the Misty Fiords from our table!

The only complaint I can possibly muster about our trip was the smoke problem on the balcony. Our neighbors were heavy smokers and on the Hubbard Glacier day, we were very uncomfortable sitting on the verandah. I have no beef with smokers, but it would have been a lot more pleasant without all the smoke. I wish cruiselines would implement a smoking side of the ship and a non-smoking side.

It was a perfect week non-the-less. We can't wait to go back!

We were in cabin 9626, a regular balcony cabin about midship. It was smaller than we were used to on Holland, but perfectly adequate. Our table was in the smaller dining room on the port side (#202). Our servers were Natasha and Goran. They were really good. Very efficient. The table was perfect. Next to a huge round window. We watched Orca sailing out of the Misty Fiords from our table!

The only complaint I can possibly muster about our trip was the smoke problem on the balcony. Our neighbors were heavy smokers and on the Hubbard Glacier day, we were very uncomfortable sitting on the verandah. I have no beef with smokers, but it would have been a lot more pleasant without all the smoke. I wish cruiselines would implement a smoking side of the ship and a non-smoking side.

It was a perfect week non-the-less. We can't wait to go back!

That's funny what you said about smokers. I like to keep my balcony door open since it let's the cool air in while in Alaska. While on the Serenade in Alaska in June we had to shut the door because of the smoke drifting in from next door. I would never hold RCI responsible for this. And I also believe in smoker's rights. I totally agree with you it would be nice if they had a smokers side or section of some sort just so we could all equally enjoy our balconies.

It won't stop me from cruising no matter what.

We were also in that little dining room on the port side. Our server's were a little Asian man named Benni and a big black Jamaican man named Wayne. They worked the tables right by the door leading into the main dining room. Did you meet Eurdley Hernandes, the head waiter, from India? He seemed really good at making the rounds and getting to every table every night on our cruise. That's the first head waiter I ever had that made a point of earning his tip. I wasn't sure about him at first but he grew on me. That was a nice little room, wasn't it. We got there because we changed our table. Our cruising friends weren't crazy about the table we were assigned by a waiter station. So, into the little room by a big window we went. It didn't have the same feel as the magnificent big dining room. But we loved that window.

Mrs. Raggy:

Was Natasha a lady from Jamaica? She was our head waiter a year ago when we took the Serenade to Alaska! Her asst. was Lilly from India. Incidentally, our head waiter on the Mariner this past spring was a Natasha as well.

Who was your captain and cruise director? Did they do a Q and A session on Friday in the Centrum?

Serenade has the friendliest, most efficient, cruise employees of any of the RCCL ships we have cruised thus far. The ship is immaculate and still looks "brand new" even with the thousands of passengers that have vacationed aboard her.

I'm so glad you had a great time.

So glad you had a good trip...we will be on Serenade for the second time... next month to Alaska..First time was Canada/New England when the ship was brand new...and we have the same cabin 9078...balcony hump..

What did you do in port and how was your weather overall...we have already resolved that this will not be like a Caribbean cruise...our favorite (Canada was cool but pleasant).

There are so many opinions on what to pack...did you do the layering of clothes???

I know the ship and have no questions about that but am curious to what you did all week. Is the pool bar open on it's normal schedule??? The weather changes so frequently there and since it's 6 weeks away, I watch the weather every day...was it warm enough to use the pools?

Thanks!!!!!

We know Eurdley...we met him last year on the Serenade and he spoiled us on both of our trips this year. He does grow on you...becomes a very friendly guy. He was also a lot of help when he would be in the Windjammer...helping us find a table when really busy. Imagine how short he is having and his picture taken with myself and daughter who are both 5'10.....it made for a cute picture. Eurdley does earn his tips. We have had two head waiters on board who seem shy, a little more quiet than some (Francesco from Portugal and Richard from India), but both have still seen to it that we received everything we needed. Two favorite waiters are Errol (Honduras) and Ashley (uses Denis...last name... since he is male, from India).

sgttami...if you would happen to get Errol as your waiter, he is VERY entertaining

As for excursions...we have done the rock climbing in Skagway (not the ship rockwall), whale watching and the tram in Juneau, and the lumberjack show at Ketchikan.

Layer, layer, layer...and yes people were using the pools on the trip. Mostly kids outside, adults inside when it was not "family" hours. It does get fairly cool at night and can be very windy, but not too sure about the time you are going as we went in June both times.

Can't tell you about the pool bar as we do not drink. Hopefully Mrsraggy and mammabean can help with some more ideas.

Wow - same cabin as us! What date do you cruise? I guess I can assume this is a good one since you booked it twice? How much larger is the balcony

and can you still see in both directions well? I'm so excited!

Jyl

So glad you had a good trip...we will be on Serenade for the second time... next month to Alaska..First time was Canada/New England when the ship was brand new...and we have the same cabin 9078...balcony hump..

What did you do in port and how was your weather overall...we have already resolved that this will not be like a Caribbean cruise...our favorite (Canada was cool but pleasant).

There are so many opinions on what to pack...did you do the layering of clothes???

I know the ship and have no questions about that but am curious to what you did all week. Is the pool bar open on it's normal schedule??? The weather changes so frequently there and since it's 6 weeks away, I watch the weather every day...was it warm enough to use the pools?

Thanks!!!!!

My favorite cabin so far on the Radiance class ships...Twice on Serenade and once on Radiance (last year)...

The balcony is MUCH bigger than the other D1's...Its' almost horseshoe shaped (for lack of a better word!). Plenty of room for a table, 4 chairs and a lounger. If you look at the deck plans, you will see how it is rounded out.

You can see perfectly and there are no cabins to the direct left of the balcony, so no neighbors...

We're doing the last sailing..Sept. 18. Pre-night in Vancover as well. We originally thought that would be too late in the season but a friend of ours has done the last sailing twice and had beautiful weather, no rain and lots of great discounts in the ports since it's the end of the season...hopefully, we'll be as lucky!!!

I have that same cabin booked on Serenade for this December! i'm so happy to know that I made a good choice....our last cruise was in #1688 aft on the Navigator but I decided to try a cabin on the bump this time. I like to book way ahead so I can have my choice of D1 balconies.

Hello again,

Natasha was from Trinidad. She was quite a character. We just loved the smaller dining room. We wrote down the table numbers in there so we could request one next trip.

Our weather was really good. Rain was forecast, but we had only a little in Juneau. I brought too many clothes, as usual. I really used my sleeveless polartec vest a lot, with a long-sleeved shirt underneath and jeans. Perfect for most days. I used a long-sleeved polar-tec pullover for chilly mornings and sometimes out on deck.

The pool bar was seldom open. It was pleasant, but too cool for the pool and we seldom saw anyone in the area. It was open for sail-away, and at least one afternoon during the cruise. Maybe Hubbard Glacier day.

The ship had a lot of activities. We payed trivia. The Canadian guy who runs the trivia games is a scream. There was a question and answer lecture from the captain, the chief engineer and some other guy one afternoon. I missed it.

There are lots of dancing lessons of all varieties throughout the cruise. They were really popular. The Safari room is really cool. First time I've ever seen pool tables on a cruise ship!

I can't say enough about our trip. It was just amazing. I wish more people had shown up at the cruise critic party they held. Thirty people had registered and only 6 of us showed up. It was awkward. Ricky worked hard to arrange a nice party and I felt badly for him.

Have a blast! I thought the railroad train was disappointing in Skagway, but my Dad liked it. I think the shopping is the best in Skagway. Prices in Ketchikan were higher. Go fishing in Juneau!!!

Bon Voyage,

Karin

Allan Brooks was at the end of June in Alaska, but we heard from the head of the hotel desk a couple of days ago and she said he is no longer on. Our CD for the Ensenada to Honolulu left at the end of that cruise back on May 19th, and Allan was picked up then ... so he must have just been filling in short term. She didn't mention who is on now. maybe a recent cruiser will know.

mrsraggy , great to hear you had such a wonderful time!!!!

we will be traveling on the serenade in September.... I was wondering if you could tell me if they have upgraded the ship with wireless internet access? I know I found on a thread that the ship was to get this enhancement in July but have not seen any confirmation yet. If so - do you remember the prices - and did you try it yourself?

Thanks so much!

Hi again,

The cruise director is Kurt somebody. Apparently he is a struggling pop music wannabe and takes every opportunity to sing and be seen. I found him smarmy, but some folks really thought he was adorable.

The captain was named Martinsen. I liked him because he spent a lot of time on the speaker explaining about our headings, the landmarks, etc..

Be sure to tune in to the Ripple Rock program on the stateroom t.v.:rolleyes:

My Dad made me sit through it about a dozen times. It's kind of interesting the first few!

Yes, the ship has wireless. Hooray! Bring your laptop and you can rent a card for three bucks a day.

Have a super trip everybody! Wish we were going again.

Karin any more ?'s...just post!

Don't miss Ramon De La Cruz. He plays the guitar in the atrium lobby during the early evening hours. He is a fantastic guitar player. We bought his CD because we couldn't take him home and didn't want to miss his music!

Go and listen at least once. Just beautiful. It reminded me that some of the most beautiful parts of our world don't require a visa or a cell phone:)

Karin

We're booked on Serenade for the second time this January. And Benni was our waiter last time around. The ship was only 3 months old at the time - can't wait to be on her again. We've also done Radiance twice - love this class of ship! Our favorite rooms are the aft balconies on deck ten, but alas, their only for 2. With our son with us this year, we'll be in a deck 9, midship, starboard side. We'll miss that big balcony, but are looking forward to having our son along with us.

Yes, the ship has wireless. Hooray! Bring your laptop and you can rent a card for three bucks a day.

If you already have a wifi card, is there still a charge for usage? If so, was it per minute or per day? Do you recall how many hot spots there were, and where they were located? Thanks in advance.

Oh, no. My family did not want me to know that as they don't think I can possibly disconnect myself from CC for any length of time.

Must repeat to myself: you don't need to bring your laptop with you on vacation.

I don't think you need to rent a card if you have wifi already. There are a lot of hot spots. It seems like there were people everywhere online. There is an unlimited plan, but I can't remember how much it cost. Sorry.

Have a great great time.:)

Archived