Car Service/Limo from Long Island to NYC

Shacky316

Regarding flying in same day as the cruise.....I've done it before, with no ill effect. That doesn't mean it can't happen, just highly unlikely.

We're getting married the day before the cruise. By the time the reception is over, all the flights to New York will be gone. So we don't have much of a choice. We're coming from OH, so driving isn't much of a choice (not that we'd want to spend our wedding night driving all night).

Thanks so much for all the info.

Here's what the bottom of my printed receipt (pre-paid) from Carmel says...

"

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Conditions:

Voucher should be presented to the driver at the start of the trip. Voucher should be signed and given to the driver at the end of the trip.

Tolls, Gratuity are included.

Extra Stops, Waiting Time (if any) are not included.

OK...you've prepaid for your ride and they've included the tolls and gratuity. That's not how things normally work, even with them. Most people just make a reservation, are quoted a fare that excludes tolls and tax, and pay the driver directly at the conclusion of the ride.

Surely you've prepaid more than the $30 or so internet booking price they quote on their website for a trip from LGA to Manhattan..

And waiting time not included!

NYC metered yellow taxi for me.

As I said earlier there will be no waiting time because the car services monitor your flight's arrival and don't dispatch a car until its needed.

By the way...you will be paying waiting time of another type by using a metered taxi. That taxi meter is still ticking away when your taxi is motionless or creeping along in a traffic jam. You're charged $.50 (the 1/5th mile unit of fare) for each 60 seconds when the taxi is not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.

As I said earlier there will be no waiting time because the car services monitor your flight's arrival and don't dispatch a car until its needed.

Because his pre-paid fare does not include waiting time, there's no incentive for them to do that here and no guarantee that they will. I wouldn't risk it.

Taxi waiting time is part of the overall fare calculation. The fare will be comparable or less than a car service.

I don't need a lesson; I take cabs every day, paying on my phone using the RideLinQ or Way2Ride app. Very convenient.

Taxi or car service will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $35-40 plus tolls and tip. It's sort of a coin flip. Car service has the advantage of a fixed fare while in taxis it's metered and will vary by route and traffic. Car service vehicles are often a touch nicer than taxis.

You can check these car services:

Dial7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Thanks to Cruise Critic, we have been using Dial7

We were "newbies" the the Big City - Dial7 has always been reliable and on time, they keep in touch and are very helpful from the airport to the pier, and on disembarkation day. Reading comparisons and talking to NYC cruisers, their prices are great.

By the way...you will be paying waiting time of another type by using a metered taxi. That taxi meter is still ticking away when your taxi is motionless or creeping along in a traffic jam. You're charged $.50 (the 1/5th mile unit of fare) for each 60 seconds when the taxi is not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.

Just to get clarification, I called Carmel. They said they monitor the flight and dispatch the limo based on real time flight info. They said wait time would only be billed if someone decides to eat or drink for awhile in the airport and doesn't come out after their flight has arrived. I'm not planning that (who wants to eat/drink in the airport?).

Thought you would want to know their policy.

Just to get clarification, I called Carmel. They said they monitor the flight and dispatch the limo based on real time flight info. They said wait time would only be billed if someone decides to eat or drink for awhile in the airport and doesn't come out after their flight has arrived. I'm not planning that (who wants to eat/drink in the airport?).

Thought you would want to know their policy.

Excellent! And I agree with njhorseman that you are likely to have a much nicer car, although you will be giving up the experience of the special smells of a NYC taxi. ;)

Hop off the boat and go straight home? In New York?! We had to wait at least 30 minutes just to get into the parking area. There's a line to get out, too. Car service picks you up and drives you there and back. There's nothing convenient about parking at the pier. The price for parking has gone up, too.

When we park at the pier we arrive early get a great spot and can see the car from the ship and then we just get in and drive away at the end if the cruise. Of course we only live 30 minutes north and have a great drive home

If I lived on the island I would pay someone to drive and pick us up regardless of price. I would never subject a family member or friend to driving us unless they absolutely had no problem with it and were ecstatic about the drive.

Just how does one get from queens to the west side? Go cross town? I really don't know.