Navigating to good weather

[quote name='Gregor4500']Absolutely, if they see a small squall they will try to navigate around it. For large fronts I guess they will try their best to avoid. Of course not always possible.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='notthatpaulyd']I once read that cruise ships navigate around bad weather and try to stay in good weather at all times. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Check you ship's speed on a sea day when in good sunny weather if they have some extra time. ;)

Nice way of tracking ships is the Marinetraffic website, perhaps you will see course alterations or slow downs in speed.

[quote name='Gregor4500']Absolutely, if they see a small squall they will try to navigate around it. For large fronts I guess they will try their best to avoid. Of course not always possible.[/QUOTE]

Here is a photo from the route the Gem had to do when the captain was trying to avoid some heavy thunderstorms and rain in the Adriatic Sea a few years ago. They succeeded, we could see all the lightning going on in the distance, but never felt anything on the ship - not even a tiny raindrop... :) (The photo was made from the TV in our cabin after arriving Venice the next morning). We were supposed to sail directly from Koper in Slovenia to Venice in Italy at slow speed, but as you can see from my photo the ship did instead speed up a little and did a big slope in the middle to avoid the bad weather. Edited by TrumpyNor