Blue bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau

Orangefan

I wanted to know your experience if you have taken the Blue Bus to Mendenhall

Glacier. We would stop at the visitor's center but the person traveling with me wouldn't be able to do any hikes.

Thanks.

Sali

I wanted to know your experience if you have taken the Blue Bus to Mendenhall

Glacier. We would stop at the visitor's center but the person traveling with me wouldn't be able to do any hikes.

Thanks.

Sali

The bus service is fine we used it on our first AK cruise. They could stay in the visitor center, there is a nice display plus if they like they could just look out at the beauty of the area.

Be forewarned, the area that the Blue bus leaves from on the waterfront can be an absolute zoo. A couple years ago there must have been 125 people trying to get on one bus, we didn’t go to the Glacier that year. Last year it was no problem, went out to the Glacier and had a great time. I think all depends on the number ships that are in port on that day. The Blue bus drops off and picks up a short distance from the visitors center. The visitor’s center can be another adventure, lots of people.

There will be 4 ships in Juneau.

My ship( Golden Princess) will be in port 11 am

2 ships dock at 1pm

1 ship docks at 1:30 pm

My plan will be to go right at 11 am to Mendenhall.

Sali

There will be 4 ships in Juneau.

My ship( Golden Princess) will be in port 11 am

2 ships dock at 1pm

1 ship docks at 1:30 pm

My plan will be to go right at 11 am to Mendenhall.

Sali

I believe the Golden docks at the "AJ Pier" it's the furthest dock from town, it's about 1/2 mile into the tourist town. They'll be a bus there that wil take you into town, costs $3 for the day last year. The bus will drop you off in the general area to get the Blue bus. The earler you can go out to the Glacier the better, crowd wise.

Would a taxi be better? Or is it cost prohibitive? How much $ do you think?

We were in Juneau a week ago...there were 2 other ships in port in addition to ours.

We took the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall--having purchased 2 RT tickets (cost was $40 for both of us). Just FYI...The ride out was packed, and people were standing.

Indeed, the bus drops you off several hundred yards from the visitor center...not a long walk, but still a walk! Walking down to the actual glacier is a bit more of a walk--on a path. The closer you want to get to the glacier, the more "hiking" is involved--even a little climbing on rocks.

While we were down by the glacier, it started to pour. We went back to the pick-up point and the crowd to catch the next bus was HUGE...! There is just a small canopy for folks to wait under, so it was miserable.

We asked a park service ranger about the ability to get a cab back, and she told us where we could find info to call (over by one of the entrance areas). We called a local cab company and had someone out to pick us up in less than 20 minutes. (We know it would have taken at least 2 more blue buses before we would have been able to get on one--and they were only running about every half our. Doing the math, we figure we would have waited at least another hour.) Our total cab fare back was $36 including tip. True, we "lost" the cost of the return...and paid a bit more on top of it, but it was SO worth it to avoid the hassle and the wait times--in the rain...!

If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped the blue bus entirely and tried to find another 2 folks to share the cost of a cab--both out and back. And even if we couldn't find some sharing partners, I'd still opt for a cab out and back. A little more money, but A LOT more relaxing...!

Hope this is helpful...! :)

If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped the blue bus entirely and tried to find another 2 folks to share the cost of a cab--both out and back. And even if we couldn't find some sharing partners, I'd still opt for a cab out and back. A little more money, but A LOT more relaxing...!

This is what I was thinking. I am not the most patient person an an hour or so in line would suck! For me and the torture I would put my husband through!

That being said, was the glacier worth the trip? We are going through the Tracy Arm and we are taking the Glacier Explorer excursion to see the Davidson glacier. Then in Skagway we are doing a 7 hour Glacier Point Wilderness Safari Adventure. I can't remember the name if the glacier we're hiking on, but we are hiking on a glacier. Will we be disappointed in the Mendenhall after the two we are going to see? And are we going to be glaciered out at that point? We will be going back to Alaska in 2016 so we could do it next time around. What do you all think?

Thank,

Linda

That being said, was the glacier worth the trip? We are going through the Tracy Arm and we are taking the Glacier Explorer excursion to see the Davidson glacier. Then in Skagway we are doing a 7 hour Glacier Point Wilderness Safari Adventure. I can't remember the name if the glacier we're hiking on, but we are hiking on a glacier. Will we be disappointed in the Mendenhall after the two we are going to see? And are we going to be glaciered out at that point? We will be going back to Alaska in 2016 so we could do it next time around. What do you all think?

Thank,

Linda

Wow...tough question...! :) Was it worth the trip...?

I'll start by saying that for me personally, there could be no such thing as seeing too many glaciers...! I was fascinated by them and could just stare at them for hours...!

Now, back to your question...We were in Alaska 10 years ago, but didn't see Mendenhall back then, so for this trip it was higher on our list. In all honesty, we spent less than an hour out there--but that could have been because it started to pour and we just didn't wanna trek around in the rain. That being said, I was able to take some amazing pics...before the rain started...so I'm glad we saw it.

But as I say, this was our second trip to Alaska...not our first, so if you have another trip to Alaska planned for two years from now, maybe it could wait...? Is there your first trip to Alaska?

I would add that on both of our Alaskan cruises, our cruise ship was actually able to get closer to the glaciers we cruised to, than we could to Mendenhall...don't know if that makes a difference to you.

If you're thinking you would take a cab out and back anyway, perhaps you don't need to decide until the day of your visit to Juneau...? Just do the cab thing at the last minute if you do decide to go...?

While we were down by the glacier, it started to pour. We went back to the pick-up point and the crowd to catch the next bus was HUGE...! There is just a small canopy for folks to wait under, so it was miserable.

Sounds like people freaked out over the rain and rushed to leave all at once. :rolleyes: One option would have been to go into the visitor center ($3 per person) and hang out there, looking at the displays and waiting out the rain. You don't mention how long it continued to rain, but there's always a chance it would let up and you could go back to enjoying your time at the glacier. If the rain didn't let up by the time you were done perusing the visitor center, chances are the crowds to catch the bus would be less by then and you might be able to get on.

Sounds like people freaked out over the rain and rushed to leave all at once. :rolleyes: One option would have been to go into the visitor center ($3 per person) and hang out there, looking at the displays and waiting out the rain. You don't mention how long it continued to rain, but there's always a chance it would let up and you could go back to enjoying your time at the glacier. If the rain didn't let up by the time you were done perusing the visitor center, chances are the crowds to catch the bus would be less by then and you might be able to get on.

Two hours later, it was still pouring...! :)

Do they charge for parking if you rent a car and drive yourself?

We didn't see anyone there collecting money as you drove in, but that doesn't mean anything cause we wouldn't have been looking for it. So sorry to not be able to answer that one. I wonder if their actual website would tell you if there is a parking fee...? :)

This is what I was thinking. I am not the most patient person an an hour or so in line would suck! For me and the torture I would put my husband through!

Thank,

Linda

The OP of the thread below has been to a lot of glaciers and as he pointed out - each one is different. The thread might be able to help you decide if Mendehall is worth it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2043922

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

What ever you decide to do - Have a great trip.

Okie