3Hour check in for fly cruise

TRISH BISH

Check the roads situation.

If you are driving there were major roadworks around the terminals, I don't know if this is still the case, but it took me 20 minutes to get from the end of the M56 to terminal 3 car park using a diversion route and this was in March at 7 in the morning.

Once inside if the check in areas are busy it can take at least two hours to get from check in to airside. The new auto scanners mean lots more people and hand luggage gets checked which slows everything down.

Once inside if the check in areas are busy it can take at least two hours to get from check in to airside. The new auto scanners mean lots more people and hand luggage gets checked which slows everything down.

2 hours? Really?? That sort of puts a kiss of death on the minimum check in time of 1 hour for most scheduled airlines!

I always think its sensible to leave longer for low cost and charter flights and less for scheduled, so it depends who you are flying with, but I think 3 hours is OTT.

A short haul scheduled flight is a lot more civilised and as there are fewer passengers with less luggage check in is quicker. Security however can still take time.

Lomg haul scheduled can be lengthy due to extended security checks.

Charter is a different experience. 1500-2000 passengers in terminal 1 or 2 all checking in for flights which leave at similar times.

We got there at 3 and by 3.15 the queue was snaked right back. P&O have their own check in section but from memory there were 3 P&O flights to Genoa between 6 and 7 and 1 a bit later so a lot of people checking in at the same time!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If it says 3 hours then that's what it is.

What ever people consider, it's the airlines that decide.

I suggest everybody abides by what they say.

A friend of ours always gets there last minute then moans a bundle that they can not sit together.

Funny why it appears us cruisers are always wanting to ask why why.

Dress code, check in times, boarding times, smoking on balconies, price differences.

Best to just abide by rules......:-)

Check in generally opens 2 - 3 hours prior to departure and closes 45 minutes - one hour before departure.

It depends on you when you check in between these times.

A lot depends on a number of factors for me. If I am flying out early from Gatwick I stay overnight at the hotel, I pre book my seats, I do twilight check in when available and turn up at the check in desk with enough time to get through security. I'm usually at the check in desk 1 hour 15 - 30 minutes prior to departure and this gives me plenty of time.

I dislike hanging around in departure lounges for hours on end. I haven't experienced any problems yet but I would advise people driving to the airport to give themselves more time to allow for delays etc.

The times quoted by airlines and tour operators are when they open the check in desks and this when they are always at their busiest.

I like to get to airport handy and class then as the start of my holiday, hubby doesn't agree and always manages to make us later leaving the house! BUT there are major roadworks near the terminals at Manchester and last time we were stuck for 20 mins not moving an inch! and the buses were struggling to and from carparks, so have to add that factor in too if taking car.

If it says 3 hours then that's what it is.

What ever people consider, it's the airlines that decide.

I suggest everybody abides by what they say.

A friend of ours always gets there last minute then moans a bundle that they can not sit together.

Funny why it appears us cruisers are always wanting to ask why why.

Dress code, check in times, boarding times, smoking on balconies, price differences.

Best to just abide by rules......:-)

That's not always the case - our paperwork said 3 hours before as well but when I checked the morning we flew check-in didn't open until 2 hours before !

We flew from Cardiff so completely different situation .........

Not necessary at all, 2 hours will usually be plenty. BUT - If you get there two hours in advance and then because of queues and so forth you miss the plane, then you have no avenue to complain to. you were warned. For the sake of an hour sitting in an airport terminal reading a book, it isn't worth saving that extra hour.

• 4 weeks later...

Some recent anecdotal evidence from a colleague who flew to Lanzarote about a month ago from Manchester. She arrived in T1 2.5 hours before the flight was due.

Check in was quick, but when she joined the security queue it was snaking all through the terminal and it moved very slowly. She arrived at the gate just as the final call was being made.

This is why we have stopped flying.

We would both want to get to the airport in good time, to allow for problems on the way (we would always fly Gatwick/Heathrow so plenty of scope there for problems)

Then security.............

As someone has stated -if you chose to cut it fine, and one time it doesn't work, who will you blame.

Peace of mind dictated we spent hours at the airport. Stopped flying, started cruising from Southampton..happy all round.