Cape Town

Nigella

We'll be staying for 4 nights in Cape Town prior to the Sojourn Holiday cruise in December. Post cruise we're staying in Camps Bay for 7 nights, so we'll have plenty of opportunity to visit the sights that are a little further afield.

We'd like to spend the first few days of the holiday not doing very much; lots of relaxation and enjoying the sun, gentle walks, good food (and wine).

So for those 4 days we're looking at staying in the V&A waterfront area and would like some opinions about the hotels there.

Cape Grace is my first choice. I'm just a little concerned about the size of the pool, it looks tiny in the pics and reviews I've seen online.

We want to stay somewhere that is in a location that is relatively safe to walk around, that is a more traditional than trendy hotel, with good food for the times we feel too lazy to go out to eat, and quiet rooms.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

We'll be staying for 4 nights in Cape Town prior to the Sojourn Holiday cruise in December. Post cruise we're staying in Camps Bay for 7 nights, so we'll have plenty of opportunity to visit the sights that are a little further afield.

We'd like to spend the first few days of the holiday not doing very much; lots of relaxation and enjoying the sun, gentle walks, good food (and wine).

So for those 4 days we're looking at staying in the V&A waterfront area and would like some opinions about the hotels there.

Cape Grace is my first choice. I'm just a little concerned about the size of the pool, it looks tiny in the pics and reviews I've seen online.

We want to stay somewhere that is in a location that is relatively safe to walk around, that is a more traditional than trendy hotel, with good food for the times we feel too lazy to go out to eat, and quiet rooms.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Nigella,

My sources in SA tell me that the Cape Grace is the place to stay when in Cape Town.lots of restaurants nearby.

Where are you staying in Camps Bay

Nigella,

My sources in SA tell me that the Cape Grace is the place to stay when in Cape Town.lots of restaurants nearby.

Where are you staying in Camps Bay

Hello Mr L, after I posted this I remembered to visit the Roll Call and have elaborated some more.

We're staying 2 nights at a place called POD (this is where you would see me rolling my eyes if you could see me in person right now!). It's a trendy boutique hotel and not my cup of tea at all, but hubby fancied trying it following a recommendation from a (much younger) colleague. So in the name of marital harmony and all that....

The remaining 4 nights we'll be staying at the 12 Apostles. It's very much the type of hotel that I prefer, so thank you for mentioning it in your posts.

What about One and Only or Table Bay hotel which is connect to waterfront.

My first choice would be Table Bay Hotel.

I used to live in Cape Town for 10 years. :p

Edited by ct-andy

I've stayed at the Cape Grace many times and love it. No, the pool is not huge but they are about to embark on a redo of the whole pool area. IMO The One and Only has no charm and could be anywhere. Big, loud lobby. Yes, the pool is big and resort like but the Cape Grace is so much more organic and lovely. The other place in CT I would suggest is too close and similar to Twelve Apostles, the Ellerman House....just superb.

I've stayed at the Cape Grace many times and love it. No, the pool is not huge but they are about to embark on a redo of the whole pool area. IMO The One and Only has no charm and could be anywhere. Big, loud lobby. Yes, the pool is big and resort like but the Cape Grace is so much more organic and lovely. The other place in CT I would suggest is too close and similar to Twelve Apostles, the Ellerman House....just superb.

Yes ,another vote for Ellerman House,it's small with only eleven rooms,expensive but extremely good.

I think Cape Grace for when in Cape Town

I stayed at the Cape Grace for a week last October and couldn't have been happier. The service was exceptional and the food good. Yes the pool is small but very few people seemed to use it.

Try to get a Superior Room with balcony overlooking the small marina with view of Table Mountain - lovely sunsets. Rooms on the front side can be noisy.

It is great being a stone's throw from the V&A when you want some activity, but wonderful to return to the calm surroundings of the Cape Grace.

Any thoughts on Mt. Nelson Hotel? Beyond its expiration date? Or still okay....some reports on Trip Advisor say it is a faded property. Always wanted to stay here, and will be in CT Jan. of 2016 just off a SS cruise. (Sorry, they have a better itinerary than SB, but will be on the Legend this Xmas...so haven't abandoned you.) Thanks, Barbara

Stayed at Mount Nelson three times although the last of these was in 2009. During that time it was fabulous. Great outdoor spaces - gardens and pools and a fabulous bar called the Planet Bar. I much preferred this to the V&A waterfront area. A shuttle bus was laid on to that area during my stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mount Nelson is a very nice property thug more isolated. I love the feel and intimacy of the Cape Grace. What is worth doing is having tea at the Mount Nelson though don't plan on dinner afterwards.

Also highly recommend the Cape Grace where I stayed last year. Great service and close to a large open area with shops and restaurants. I was traveling alone (female) but always felt safe walking in that area, even at night. Try to get one of the rear corner rooms looking at Table Mountain. They first offered me a room overlooking the entrance (smaller and darker) and I refused that option; I then had a delightful room with small balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a trip and spent 4 days at Cape Grace. Loves it, great service, pool is heated and lovely. Make reservation now for Test Kitchen restaurant, one of the best anywhere.

About 2 years ago we stayed at the Mt Nelson Hotel. We had a well supplied , enormous suite. All services were very good with special kudos to the front desk personnel. While not close to the V&A waterfront, there is private hotel car service available to the waterfront and restaurants. After dinner, we would return to the bar for their very special champagne & passion fruit cocktail. The grounds are beautiful and a walk through the gardens opposite, a delight. Breakfast was special & included champagne. We wouldn't hesitate to return there although we have also heard very good comments about several of the properties listed here.

Just returned from a trip and spent 4 days at Cape Grace. Loves it, great service, pool is heated and lovely. Make reservation now for Test Kitchen restaurant, one of the best anywhere.

Thank you. Will look into the restaurant recommendation.

We loved the Cape Grace Hotel and everything about it: wonderful location right at the harbor a stone's throw from harbor shopping and restaurants, plus a car service that took us to dinner and elsewhere around town. Service is excellent and rooms spacious. Staff friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again, though didn't use pool so can't comment on it.

Agree with most of the posters, The Cape Grace is by far and away the best choice. The pool is a bit small for serious swimming, though not heavily used. Love their car service which will run you around the city bowl, or you can pay to take them further out. If you wish to venture outside the Waterfront, try Panama Jacks in the dock area, it has outstanding seafood.