Birthday onboard

caber

My DH is celebrating his birthday the day we board our upcoming cruise.

Does Cunard recognise this as do other cruise companies? I cannot find anywhere on the personaliser to enter this birthday.

On Princess you are given a tiny cake at dinner. (plus the singing of Happy Birthday) On P&O you can order a birthday cake for a charge. I would like to do this but it could be too late by the time we board. I am sure he would rather give the singing a miss of course. :eek:

In January of this year when we asked for an anniversary cake for a couple in our party. We were told to go to the Pursers desk and order it, and indeed we did pay some small charge, but that depends on the size you request.

As you are celebrating on the day you board, I would email Cunard directly from their website.

I was on QV for my birthday last year. I got a card signed by the captain and a mention on the morning TV show. Birthday cake had to be paid for and it was expensive..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH is celebrating his birthday the day we board our upcoming cruise. Does Cunard recognise this as do other cruise companies? I cannot find anywhere on the personaliser to enter this birthday...

You still have time to pre-order a cake. Gifts available are listed here: Do you offer any packages to help celebrate a birthday, wedding or anniversary?

I have never ever had to pay for a birthday cake or a wedding anniversary cake. I talk about some 10 cakes.

Maybe Grill Passengers ore Diamond WC don't have to pay for it?

We have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries onboard all three Queens, and have often found a quick mention in the ear of the waiting staff (Britannia restaurant) is all it takes for a lovely cake to be brought out to the table complete with candle whilst staff gather round to sing Happy Birthday. We have never been charged for this, and we are more than happy to share the cake with fellow guests at our table as if we ordered a cake no-one would ever have the room to eat it! On our last QM2 crossing we had at least 5 birthday sing songs all in unison just in our section of the restaurant alone - great stuff!

Edited by maitai999

You still have time to pre-order a cake. Gifts available are listed here: Do you offer any packages to help celebrate a birthday, wedding or anniversary?

I found a phone number and have now ordered him a cake. I paid for it with my credit card. Cakes start at $15 which is fine. I didn`t want a huge cake as everyone is usually full by the end of the meal.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by caber

Hello,I had a birthday last year on Queen Victoria.The steward left balloons and some small treats in a very nice display on the bed.Some people we were quizzing with to our suprise wished me happy birthday.They had heard it on the television.I most certainly would not have liked any display at the dining table.Not for me.

Rodger.

The Gift Brochure from that link:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/documents/gifts%20and%20special%20occassions/gifts_brochure.pdf

states:

Cunard Slippers $6.00

White waffle slippers with the Cunard Gold Crest.

Why would you want to buy them when you get them "free" in your cabin? :confused::)

Cunard Slippers $6.00

Why would you want to buy them when you get them "free" in your cabin? :confused::)

As much as I appreciate them...I don't think they are worth $6. I will be happy to sell my extras for $5. :)

I have celebrated three birthdays with Cunard, one on Queen Victoria and two on QM2. My birthday was flagged up automatically on the system but it is always worth double checking with the purser's desk when onboard. Each time I received a mention on the TV morning show and a card signed by the senior officers.I also received cakes at dinner and I didn't have to pay for any of them. The waiters gather round your table and sing "Happy Birthday".

Has anyone experienced a birthday on the day of disembarkation? Do they acknowledge it on the previous day or do they ignore it? I know I could arrange it by paying for a cake or whatever, but I'm just curious to know what would happen automatically?

I have never ever had to pay for a birthday cake or a wedding anniversary cake. I talk about some 10 cakes.

Maybe Grill Passengers ore Diamond WC don't have to pay for it?

That's all that I found on the ask.cunard.com subweb. I've not traveled on my birthday so I've yet to find out what is complimentary.

The Gift Brochure from that link:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/documents/gifts%20and%20special%20occassions/gifts_brochure.pdf

states:

Cunard Slippers $6.00

Why would you want to buy them when you get them "free" in your cabin?

I'm presuming one would buy these to use off the ship. Isn't there a charge if one keeps the robe? Anybody who wants their own can get a new one rather than one laundered who knows how many times.

We celebrated our 25th anniversary with a QM2 transatlantic cruise. I tested the system by not overtly mentioning to our waiters that the particular day was special. We mentioned this to our tablemates when no "surprise" cake appeared that night, but the tablemates made a discreet mention to the waiters and there was a small cake and singing the next night.

I'm presuming one would buy these to use off the ship. Isn't there a charge if one keeps the robe? Anybody who wants their own can get a new one rather than one laundered who knows how many times.

You are free to take your slippers home used or unused. Your steward wouldn't know whether you have used them or not.

Bath robes are a different matter. Yes, you would get charged if you took one of those home. $75 for a new one.

I was on the Oceania Riviera a few years ago, disembarking on my birthday. The ship had a system of anytime dining, but I generally ended up eating in the same section with the same wait staff. I mentioned the birthday at one point and on the last night I could see all the staff in that section whispering and grinning behind the scenes. They did not bring me the dessert menu. Instead they all turned up with a cake and the usual singing. It was done in a very personalised way.

I'm presuming one would buy these to use off the ship. .

I wouldn't recommend to buy the slippers for off the ship because they aren't made or meant to last. I wore out my first pair before the end of a 26 day trip.

I've celebrated two birthdays on board. One was ignored and for the other I received the signed card and a small cake along with the singing after dinner.