How much to tip?

So, I cruise (second time ever) in 10 days!! I've read all the tips and secrets threads, but I still have a question...

How much do you tip your room steward on the first day? And what about the bartenders? We want to make sure that we tip them appropriately and that they will take care of us. (It's a 7-day cruise.)

Thanks in advance!!!

Congrats! Almost there.

No need to tip your room steward on the first day - just leave your Auto Gratuities in place (charged to your S&S card). Your cabin steward, his/her assistant, your dining room head waiter and assistant waiter will all received their appropriate tips.

You CAN tip extra if you choose. But it's not necessary.

I personally leave my auto gratuities ($11.50 / day / per pax covers the 4 crew members mentioned above)..... and then I tip my cabin steward and MDR team at the end of the cruise (last day).

I have only tipped my cabin steward on the first day once... and that was because we had complicated requests - we were travelling as one big group and needed beds separated, balcony cabin dividers open, extra ice.... so we knew it warranted extra tips for his help that first day. Then we kept the auto tips, and tipped again (extra) at the end of the cruise.

Regarding the bartenders - each drink already has a built in/auto gratuity (15%) for the bar waiters / bartender.... but you can add extra gratuities once you sign your S&S receipt. Or you could tip them in cash. $1-$2 per drink extra if you want.

So, I cruise (second time ever) in 10 days!! I've read all the tips and secrets threads, but I still have a question...

How much do you tip your room steward on the first day? And what about the bartenders? We want to make sure that we tip them appropriately and that they will take care of us. (It's a 7-day cruise.)

Thanks in advance!!!

Tipping up front isn't necessary but if you're gonna do it I'd say $20. I don't tip up front. I pay my gratuities with my cruise fare and will leave something in the room at the end of the cruise. That depends on the length of the cruise but somewhere between 10 and 20.

Congrats! Almost there.

No need to tip your room steward on the first day - just leave your Auto Gratuities in place (charged to your S&S card). Your cabin steward, his/her assistant, your dining room head waiter and assistant waiter will all received their appropriate tips.

You CAN tip extra if you choose. But it's not necessary.

I personally leave my auto gratuities ($11.50 / day / per pax covers the 4 crew members mentioned above)..... and then I tip my cabin steward and MDR team at the end of the cruise (last day).

I have only tipped my cabin steward on the first day once... and that was because we had complicated requests - we were travelling as one big group and needed beds separated, balcony cabin dividers open, extra ice.... so we knew it warranted extra tips for his help that first day. Then we kept the auto tips, and tipped again (extra) at the end of the cruise.

Regarding the bartenders - each drink already has a built in/auto gratuity (15%) for the bar waiters / bartender.... but you can add extra gratuities once you sign your S&S receipt. Or you could tip them in cash. $1-$2 per drink extra if you want.

Thanks! Yes, I know about the auto tips and am cool with that. :) I anticipate we'll want ice in the cooler daily so I wanted to add some extra. :)

Thanks! Yes, I know about the auto tips and am cool with that. :) I anticipate we'll want ice in the cooler daily so I wanted to add some extra. :)

Ice delivery is part of the standard services. Tip more if you want. It truly is not necessary in order to be provided with the basic services the cruiseline advertises as standard.

Personally, I never pre-tip anyone. It is no guarantee of better service than I might have otherwise received and sometimes I find the standard service subpar. I will not bribe people for a standard level of service. I will reward extra attention and extra services with additional cash.

I leave auto tips in place, or prepay tips.

I will only tip the room steward on the last evening if service has been excellent, which it usually is, but rarely is only just adequate, so extra tip on the last evening if he/she has been very good.

Same goes for wait staff in dining room, extra on the last evening, if they have been very good to excellent, again, almost always are.

Bartenders and waitstaff get automatic 15pc per drink gratuity added to your bill but if I have had one bartender that treated me very well, he or she will also get a little extra token of my appreciation on the last evening.

Room service of course 2.00 or more depending on how much is ordered.

I dont believe in tipping up front (for me), but if you wish to do so, just do it with an amount you are comfortable giving, and not setting you back too much on spending money.

Have a great cruise.:)

Thanks in advance!!!

No need to tip anything extra on the first day or the last day. Or and day in between.

No need to tip anything extra on the first day or the last day. Or and day in between.

Best answer!:)

Why? because its true! and if you do want to leave extra it doesnt matter how much or little because its a personal thing. So by asking how much extra to leave is not really a question that can be correctly answered by anyone but yourself:)