R/T Seattle with Sitka

jormot

We are all over the board with so many options for Alaska! I am leaning for a R/T Seattle with Sitka simply because I really want to visit Sitka and this is the only itinerary with both Sitka and Glacier Bay that we can fit in our schedule. Being our first cruise to Alaska are we making a mistake doing a R/T Seattle and should I give up Sitka for a Vancouver departure?

We are all over the board with so many options for Alaska! I am leaning for a R/T Seattle with Sitka simply because I really want to visit Sitka and this is the only itinerary with both Sitka and Glacier Bay that we can fit in our schedule. Being our first cruise to Alaska are we making a mistake doing a R/T Seattle and should I give up Sitka for a Vancouver departure?

I don't know who you are cruising with/itinerary..but I just visited Sitka for the 1st time on NCL ......LOVE IT!! This was my 3rd cruise to Alaska...first two were on CCL out of Vancouver,and both stopped in Juneau, Ketchikan,Skagway..and Glacier Bay.

DW and I loved visiting Sitka. It was part of a 10 day cruise..departing Vancouver with stops at Ketchikan , Juneau, Skagway, Glacier bay, Icy Point(Hoonah) Sitka and Victoria.

We decided that when we return to Alaska...itinerary will have to include Sitka!

Edited by cruizinator

We have had 3 cruises to Alaska and each one of the trips included Sitka in it's itinerary.

DH and I LOVE that little town. There is so much history there and the people who live in Sitka have done their utmost to preserve it.

IMOP - everyone should go to Sitka at least once.

Okie

Okie have you done R/T Seattle? Did you feel like you were missing anything not going from Vancouver?

The Land/Sea cruise that we are taking (fly to Seattle in 11 days) ends in Vancouver on the 18th of June. We will be taking 3 extra days there and then flying home out of Seattle.

After our first cruise - we did figure out that we didn't get to see enough of the ports that we did visit. That is the reason we went on the second 7 day cruise and then did the 14 day cruise. Don't feel like we have missed anything at all by doing it that way. The 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam took us to ports that we had never been to before and this next trip will be taking us to Skagway. By doing it this way we will have been to all of the ports that have cruise ship docking. Plus the Land/Sea cruise has us flying out of Seattle to Anchorage. From there we will spend 3 days at Denali, 2 days at Fairbanks, 1 1/2 days in Dawson City (Yukon, Canada), a day in Whitehorse (Yukon, Canada) and then 2 full days in Skaway before we join the Volendam. Then Glacier Bay and Ketchikan before returning through Vancouver. Took us 4 cruises, but we think we have gotten to see a good portion of Alaska.

But like I said earlier - Sitka has been our favorite by far. Don't get me wrong, we have enjoyed all of them, but Sitka is special.

Okie

Edited by Okie1946

Just off our second cruise to Alaska, but first time in Sitka and we thought it was great. We went to the Raptor Center and then wandered around the town before heading back to the ship. Definitely wish we'd had more time there...there were other excursions we would have loved to do, as well...!

Would I trade Sitka for a Vancouver departure...? That depends...! You don't mention whether you would just fly into Vancouver on the same day as embarkation and departure--if so, does the departure port really make that much difference to you? We always fly in at least a day or two before (then we know we're there) to be able to wander around and see what the city has to offer. If you're not gonna spend time in Vancouver anyway, then I'd definitely go for the itinerary that includes Sitka...!

You didn't mention...is this your first cruise to Alaska? And do you have time for a longer than 7 day cruise...?

Also, you might consider what the available shore excursions and activities are in Sitka--as well as your port time. That might help you decide, too...!

Sail out from Vancouver is great, but I'm sure sail out from Seattle is great, too...!

Hope this is helpful...! :)

And Cruizinator--looks like we were on the same cruise...! :)

Yo Adrienne.

Sounds like we might have passed one another in Sitka. We also walked out to the Raptor Center and fell in love with "tootsie" the little owl behind the front counter. We loved Sitka and are hoping to take same cruise next May. Both the Pearl and Sun are doing the same itinerary..one day apart. I'll just keep my eye on prices..and go for the best deal.

We sure sure had some amazing weather didn't we!!??

Yo Adrienne. We will be flying in a couple days ahead of time but seeing Vancouver doesn't not matter much as we have been there before. But we have never been to Seattle which is another draw to us. It is our 1st time to Alaska and as mentioned we do have a few extra days, but not long enough to do a land tour this time. Our biggest concern are those 2 sea days and not being on the inside passage. Are we missing one of the best parts of the cruise by leaving from Seattle?

Yo Adrienne.

Sounds like we might have passed one another in Sitka. We also walked out to the Raptor Center and fell in love with "tootsie" the little owl behind the front counter. We loved Sitka and are hoping to take same cruise next May. Both the Pearl and Sun are doing the same itinerary..one day apart. I'll just keep my eye on prices..and go for the best deal.

We sure sure had some amazing weather didn't we!!??

What a "hoot"...so to speak...! :) My husband had a hard time dragging me away from the eagles...! I could have spent hours just watching them--oh wait, I did...! :) Took a ton of pics, too...! :)

And yes, we couldn't believe how good the weather was...! We did get caught in the rain in Juneau--we were out at Mendenhall when the downpour started--but it's Alaska and for 10 days with really only 1 day of rain...no complaints here...! :)

And SO jealous that you're already planning your return visit...! :)

What a "hoot"...so to speak...! :) My husband had a hard time dragging me away from the eagles...! I could have spent hours just watching them--oh wait, I did...! :) Took a ton of pics, too...! :)

And yes, we couldn't believe how good the weather was...! We did get caught in the rain in Juneau--we were out at Mendenhall when the downpour started--but it's Alaska and for 10 days with really only 1 day of rain...no complaints here...! :)

And SO jealous that you're already planning your return visit...! :)

Yo Adrienne,

We got on a "blue" bus at Mendenhall...just as the rain started falling. Did you make it to the CC meet and greet...I didn't get to meet everyone....there were about 60 people there. If you didn't make it to the M&G..we all were invited to a tour of the Bridge...pretty interesting!

Yo Adrienne. We will be flying in a couple days ahead of time but seeing Vancouver doesn't not matter much as we have been there before. But we have never been to Seattle which is another draw to us. It is our 1st time to Alaska and as mentioned we do have a few extra days, but not long enough to do a land tour this time. Our biggest concern are those 2 sea days and not being on the inside passage. Are we missing one of the best parts of the cruise by leaving from Seattle?

If you really don't care about seeing Vancouver, then I'd definitely go for the Seattle RT...! Glacier Bay is gorgeous and we LOVED Sitka. Seattle is a fun city--lots to see and do--so if you've never been, that's another reason to choose that itinerary.

One other thing to consider (though not a big deal)...if you're not a Canadian citizen, flying in and out of Vancouver means having to go through customs. We're US citizens, so on the day we arrived in Vancouver, it took us over an hour to get through the HUGE lines. Not a big deal, of course, but it's another aspect.

Do be sure to compare the port times for both cruises, though. If they're not comparable (favorable for you and how you like to arrange your schedule), that can make a difference. One other thing you might consider...see if you can find out how many other ships would be in your ports at the same time. That can make a difference...we think it's more fun when there are fewer ships in port...!

Sounds like you're really leaning toward the Seattle R/T...so if all other things check out for you, I'd go for it...! But really, you can't go wrong either way...! :)

Yo Adrienne,

We got on a "blue" bus at Mendenhall...just as the rain started falling. Did you make it to the CC meet and greet...I didn't get to meet everyone....there were about 60 people there. If you didn't make it to the M&G..we all were invited to a tour of the Bridge...pretty interesting!

We probably passed each other at Mendenhall, too...! :) We got there via Blue Bus just BEFORE the rain began...! :) I got some amazing pics out there...! But wow, did we ever get soaked by the time we got back to the ship...! (Of course, we did wander through town in the pouring rain, too, before getting back on board!)

We didn't make it to the M&G...dare I say it...it was a little too early in the day for us...! :) But we did take a behind the scenes tour later in the trip--took us through all sorts of interesting areas, including the bridge, the kitchen and the laundry...! Great fun...!

Did you see the calving at Marjorie Glacier...? We couldn't believe the "roaring" sound it made...! OP...that was down at the end of Glacier Bay...another reason to take the Seattle R/T--Glacier Bay really was phenomenal (but cold--so pack accordingly!)...

:)

Thanks for all the advice! Any idea on where to find what other ships are in port each day?

I think if you do an online search for "port of (fill in the blank with the port name) 2014 schedule", you should be able to find this. It might take a little time, but it might worth the effort. I think it might also tell you if your ship will be actually at the dock or require tendering--something that's also useful to know. If you need to tender, that takes time...thus reducing your overall time in that port. Yet another reason to compare port times. :)

We probably passed each other at Mendenhall, too...! :) We got there via Blue Bus just BEFORE the rain began...! :) I got some amazing pics out there...! But wow, did we ever get soaked by the time we got back to the ship...! (Of course, we did wander through town in the pouring rain, too, before getting back on board!)

We didn't make it to the M&G...dare I say it...it was a little too early in the day for us...! :) But we did take a behind the scenes tour later in the trip--took us through all sorts of interesting areas, including the bridge, the kitchen and the laundry...! Great fun...!

Did you see the calving at Marjorie Glacier...? We couldn't believe the "roaring" sound it made...! OP...that was down at the end of Glacier Bay...another reason to take the Seattle R/T--Glacier Bay really was phenomenal (but cold--so pack accordingly!)...

:)

I've been to Glacier Bay twice before and just love hearing the "thunder" of the glaciers. The best time to go to Glacier bay is in September. The ship will be able to cruise up John Hopkins Inlet and view 4-5 more glaciers.

Hopkins Inlet is closed for harbor seal calving until late August. When I went twice before on Carnival..we spent about 90 minutes in front of Marjorie glacier and then cruised to the end of Hopkins Inlet. Hopkins is incredible!!

I've been to Glacier Bay twice before and just love hearing the "thunder" of the glaciers. The best time to go to Glacier bay is in September. The ship will be able to cruise up John Hopkins Inlet and view 4-5 more glaciers.

Hopkins Inlet is closed for harbor seal calving until late August. When I went twice before on Carnival..we spent about 90 minutes in front of Marjorie glacier and then cruised to the end of Hopkins Inlet. Hopkins is incredible!!

Wow, that's really good to know...we were considering going in September, but when we saw that 10-day Pearl itinerary, we knew that was what we wanted. When we went last time (in June), there was no calving--so it was great to catch it this time...! :)

It sounds like this won't be your only trip to Alaska ;) So I think you should spend time in SEA and sail to Sitka :D

No, you will be not sail inside Vancouver Island but ports are also an important part of the cruise and Glacier Bay is included in your itinerary. What's not to love about that? I think you should go with your preferences and save some things for your next trip :D

Enjoy your cruise!

I glanced through all the posts, and didn't see where anyone mentioned the POTENTIAL for rougher seas on the sailing from Seattle. You are out in the OPEN PACIFIC waters for those first two days. If anyone tends to get seasick, it's not a great port to sail from.

I would definitely compare all sailings that include Sitka. Our first cruise, we flew to Anchorage and sailed Southbound to Vancouver in May with Sitka and Glacier Bay included. May was dreary and rained everyday except our Glacier Bay day, which had bright sunshine (and it was totally awesome). Sitka isn't as commercialized as the other ports due to the harbor being more difficult for the mega ships it has been able to retain it's quaint small town atmosphere.

Our second trip we did Vancouver Northbound to Skagway in August on a cruisetour to the Yukon and Interior Alaska (no glaciers this trip). We did have heavy rain in Juneau and a few nights of heavy rain, but overall felt the weather was better in August. Dawson City Yukon, Eagle Alaska, Chicken, and Tok were amazing small towns and DENALI of course was the icing on the cake.

I had booked HAL's 14 day cruise out of Seattle for this year, but had to cancel due to my husband having a stroke. I was so disappointed.

Only you know what you prefer. We can only tell you our choices and experiences. Have fun planning, then taking your cruise to Alaska. It is an AWESOME destination.

I glanced through all the posts, and didn't see where anyone mentioned the POTENTIAL for rougher seas on the sailing from Seattle. You are out in the OPEN PACIFIC waters for those first two days. If anyone tends to get seasick, it's not a great port to sail from.

Yes, there is a potential, but that doesn't mean it's highly likely. In 5 round trip Seattle cruises, I have never experienced it. Not enough data points to say it doesn't happen, but enough to say that it's a low probability, at least in late-July to mid-August.

Also, it's not as if you are out in the middle of the ocean, as with a sailing from California to Hawaii. You are still relatively close to land at all times. I can usually look out and see land in the distance somewhere.

I am considering the HAL Westerdam next year because it sails round-trip from Seattle and goes to Glacier Bay and Sitka. I really want to see Sitka. My only concern is sailing with HAL when I am so used to Princess, but the differences probably won't be that big a deal, and I'm willing to try it to see a new port. There just aren't that many options to get to Sitka. There are luxury lines that I can't afford, and some 10 and 14 day options near the beginning and end of the season, but I can't get that much time off work and can't easily sail when my kids are in school.

You will most likely tender in Sitka. No problem. Be outside for the sail in. Beautiful!

Try claalaska.com for port schedules. Sitka should have only one cruise ship in port.

Just a quick clarification: A dock able to handle cruise ships opened in Sitka about two or three years ago. It is located several miles north of the community. We docked there last fall on a cruise ship, and that particular line ran no-exra-charge shuttles from the dock to downtown.

Just a quick clarification: A dock able to handle cruise ships opened in Sitka about two or three years ago. It is located several miles north of the community. We docked there last fall on a cruise ship, and that particular line ran no-exra-charge shuttles from the dock to downtown.

Northern Aurora is correct..we were on the NCL Pearl..when it docked there last week. The Carnival Miracle had to anchor south of town..and tender in.