Will there ever be ships larger than Oasis Class?

As a note, GRT (gross registered tonnage) is no longer used, since 1982, and was replaced by GT (gross tonnage). A vast percentage of a cruise ship's GT is above the waterline as "sail area", whereas cargo ships' GT volume is mostly below the waterline. Wind heel becomes a vast problem with these huge cruise ships, and the required stabilizers to compensate create even more drag than the inefficient hull shapes of cruise ships.

Old school I am; I'll drop the "R"!

Once again, no disagreement with what you say, and this comes from someone whose expertise is in aviation.

Not only is it going to be technically difficult to get these mega-ships much larger, I'm not sure it makes sense from a business standpoint. It's a supply and demand business and I think the demand has softened quite substantially.

Until cruising takes 'off' in China, they have the population and the disposable income these days, want the name brand and the bigger the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

Who is "they"?

It was on the history channel modern marvels mega ships. When they were talking about freedom of the seas. One of the rccl executive said that "every 10 years they double in ship size" look it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't like to put anyone down, but realistically, do you think a horticulturalist is going to be the person we would go to for realistic information about ship construction and development?

I personally couldn't imagine anything larger than what they've already developed. I'm actually surprised there are enough high paying citizens that are able to routinely fill the bigger ships at the prices they run at.

There are almost 8 billion people on this planet.

FWIW was told by a bridge officer on our All Access Tour on Allure that she is rated for a category 5 hurricane. They'd never run it for passenger comfort as well as losing deck furniture but it's no problem for the ship. In fact, they had 60 foot seas in the North Sea during sea trials and couldn't even get her to list 5 degrees!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FWIW was told by a bridge officer on our All Access Tour on Allure that she is rated for a category 5 hurricane. They'd never run it for passenger comfort as well as losing deck furniture but it's no problem for the ship. In fact, they had 60 foot seas in the North Sea during sea trials and couldn't even get her to list 5 degrees!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not denying that is what you were told, but as my kids would say, I'm calling BS on that.

Ships are not "rated" for hurricane strength. When designed, the hull is modeled and computer tested against "the 100 year storm", which has a historical wind speed, wave height, and wave frequency. All ships are designed to survive this storm. Does this mean that every window of every forward facing cabin won't be blown in, and the cabins flooded with sea water? Not necessarily. Does it mean that things like handrails, movie screens, or even liferafts won't be ripped off the ship? Again, not necessarily. It means that the ship's hull will not experience sufficient stress to cause the ship to sink.

Again, not saying it didn't happen, but I'm not sure that the North Sea can generate 60' seas. The water is so shallow (300' +-) that the waves tend to be fairly short (I've seen 30-35') and steep, with a quick frequency, and this makes them feel much bigger than they are.

The last point I consider pure PR nonsense. No ship in the world can encounter 60' seas (and the accompanying wind) and not list (though the right term is roll, as list is a permanent tilt to the side) 5*. Stabilizers are not that effective, and need some roll motion to begin to activate. Also, if the ship were indeed that stable, if it ever did reach 5-10* of roll, the righting moment generated by that much stability would "snap roll" the ship so hard that guests, dishes, and furniture would be flung from one side of the ship to the other. Most of the "gentle rocking" that passengers enjoy to put them to sleep is 2-3* rolls.