Camera bags on Delta?

I see on Delta's website that they allow each passenger to have a carry-on and a personal item, to include purses, laptops, and camera bags. Do they have size restrictions as far as what can be considered a personal item? My camera bag is rather large and I'm afraid that if I try to carry it on as my personal item, in addition to a rolling suitcase, they're going to say, "Uh-uh, sorry, gotta check your suitcase."

Mine goes in the overhead along with the carry on bag. My wife's purse is the personal item that goes on the floor at the outside wall next to the recliner seat. Extra space is one of the things you get more of up front for these items. As long as you do not have three items in your hand when boarding you are usually good to go. With two people flying it is not an issue to get two carryon's up and one smaller down.

If all flights are on normal size or bigger planes then 14wide x 9 high x 20 deep should fit under most seats. Center seat is wider, aisle is narrower and you may want to be 12-13 inches.

For leg room, after the plane gets past 10,000 feet pull the bag out and put it up against the front of your seat under your knees and put your feet where they belong.

Have fun...

framer

Although I haven't flown Delta much recently, I used to fly Delta domestically on a weekly basis and internationally on a monthly basis. This is what my carryon bag looked like.

2679382872_318516ffd6_z.jpg

2678570993_4cdf9e446e_z.jpg

It fit under the seat of most airliners with exception of the short-haul puddlejumpers and the old DC10s which they no longer operate). I was never hassled by anyone about it.

I see on Delta's website that they allow each passenger to have a carry-on and a personal item, to include purses, laptops, and camera bags. Do they have size restrictions as far as what can be considered a personal item? My camera bag is rather large and I'm afraid that if I try to carry it on as my personal item, in addition to a rolling suitcase, they're going to say, "Uh-uh, sorry, gotta check your suitcase."

Airlines have been allowing one carry-on and one personal item for years. The moment you attempt to squeak beyond that is the moment you set yourself up for checking one of those items.

In my humble opinion, do the rest of us a favor and repack so that you board with one carry-on and one personal item. I paid for my ticket too, and I'm allowed 1+1 like you. I shouldn't have to have my (only) carry-on checked because you put both of your items up top, especially if you brought two items that won't fit underneath.

I would also add that I think it's far better for your gear to ensure that it fits under the seat as opposed to placing it in the overhead. I've seen what other passengers do to stuff up there. I once witnessed someone's Slingshot bag get rammed repeatedly by another passenger attempting to stuff a rolling case into the same bin. I swear I could almost hear the sound of shattering glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Lowepro Passport Sling. Roomy for camera, accessories documents, tablet etc. Fits easily under airline seat.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Edited by CWRob

Although I haven't flown Delta much recently, I used to fly Delta domestically on a weekly basis and internationally on a monthly basis. This is what my carryon bag looked like.

2679382872_318516ffd6_z.jpg

2678570993_4cdf9e446e_z.jpg

It fit under the seat of most airliners with exception of the short-haul puddlejumpers and the old DC10s which they no longer operate). I was never hassled by anyone about it.

You got away with bringing your tripod on with your carry on? I've seen many posts on photo message boards about tripods being a no go and had to be checked.

• 1 month later...
You got away with bringing your tripod on with your carry on? I've seen many posts on photo message boards about tripods being a no go and had to be checked.

I fly all the time with my tripod. I've never been forced to check it. Although lately, I've been using smaller travel tripod, I still occasionally take my bigger Manfrottos as carryon.

I use my Thinktank Speed Freak and it will fits under the seat well. BUT, on our return flight from Copenhagen, I was told it would become the Cabin Luggage (not Personal Item). So, I bought the smallest Kelly Moore Purse, which would carry the body and two small lenses. My superzoom ended up in the carry-on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only flown business class on Delta so if you're in a different class (or a small plane) YMMV.

However I've had no problem boarding the plane with a regular rectangular roll aboard along with my LowePro Vertex 300 (http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/vertex-300-aw). Both needed to go in an overhead bin. I haven't tried with a tripod attached however.

I've only flown business class on Delta so if you're in a different class (or a small plane) YMMV.

However I've had no problem boarding the plane with a regular rectangular roll aboard along with my LowePro Vertex 300 (http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/vertex-300-aw). Both needed to go in an overhead bin. I haven't tried with a tripod attached however.

You gambled and won. I suspect your cabin choice worked in your favor. Which bag would you have let them check if you had to check one?