Special Occasion On Board ??

sredish

Hi there! We have a special occasion noted on our reservation (40th birthday) and I was wondering if NCL ever does anything for this? I've sailed both Celebrity and RCCL in the past with special occasions noted (15th anniversary, 35th birthday), and nothing was ever mentioned, no note left, nothing. Just curious, as we're NCL newbies, if any of the NCL veterans out there have experience with this.

I guess I'm also wondering what the point is of the special occasion notation on a reservation if the cruise line never "does anything". :confused:

Edited by sredish

Just off the Gem last week. Wife and I 40th anniversary and my 63rd birthday. Went to La Cucina and received a small cake and waiters sang Let me call you Sweetheart.:D Went to

Main dining room and received another cake

and waiters sang Happy Birthday.;) (just let them know when you are seated)

Enjoy your trip!!:)

We have told our PCC with varying results. Sometimes we get a card in our cabin upon embarkation which is to be presented in the MDR or specialty restaurant to receive a cake for dessert. Honestly, there are so many better choices for dessert and so much food to eat we rarely turn the card in for the cake.

We've celebrated our anniversary on several cruises and have always received the "cake card" in our cabin. Like marelind, we don't always give it to anyone either though.

You'll receive a card in your stateroom to present at dinner for a cake. I didn't turn it in but depending on the ship, the waiters may come by and sing ... Happy birthday or Let Me Call You sweetheart that will curdle milk. :p

Edited by kylenyc

We were on the Breakaway May 11- May 18. We received a bottle of wine in our cabin when we arrived, as well as the cake card. We had to ask someone what the cake card was. It simply said that we should present it to a waiter at any restaurant...didn't say what would happen when we did...we asked someone - gotta love the Cruise Critic meet & greet!

A year and a half ago I sailed as surprise with my mother, sister and her DH. I was in a suite so I let our butler and consigere that it was my mother's birthday (they were not in a suite) Had a whole cake delivered to my suite before dinner and had another cake at dinner.

We were on the Breakaway May 11- May 18. We received a bottle of wine in our cabin when we arrived, as well as the cake card. We had to ask someone what the cake card was. It simply said that we should present it to a waiter at any restaurant...didn't say what would happen when we did...we asked someone - gotta love the Cruise Critic meet & greet!

Some TAs and PCCs add a notice that it's your birthday or anniversary whether it's true or not because it's the only free thing they can give. One time I was at dinner with a friend and the waiters surprised us with a birthday cake and were ready to sing and it was neither of our birthdays. We adamantly refused to avoid the singing waiters. I think it's rather tacky TAs/PCCs to do this.

Recently, my friend got a cake card and we didn't bother turning it in.

At least NCL does the cake card now so that they don't waste cake on someone who doesn't want it.

Let others eat cake. :p

Edited by kylenyc

Hi there! We have a special occasion noted on our reservation (40th birthday) and I was wondering if NCL ever does anything for this? I've sailed both Celebrity and RCCL in the past with special occasions noted (15th anniversary, 35th birthday), and nothing was ever mentioned, no note left, nothing. Just curious, as we're NCL newbies, if any of the NCL veterans out there have experience with this.

I guess I'm also wondering what the point is of the special occasion notation on a reservation if the cruise line never "does anything". :confused:

I was on the 5/11/14 Breakaway sailing. I told guest relations that it was my parent's anniversary and they give me the card for a cake. Gave it to the front desk on evening as we checked in for dinner. They sang to my parents.

You can purchase a celebration package too if u want.

On RCCL oasis of the seas I had a bday message on my stateroom tv.

A couple years back, not wanting to take a chance, I ordered the Birthday package to celebrate my wife's birthday (http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#party) for $35. We came back after a day in Cabo San Lucas to a decorated cabin and a nice Chocolate Ganache Cake. Way too much of a rich cake for the two of us... but it was too good to be wasted.

We just got back from the Sun Pacific Coastal. I had a cake card in my room and gave it to the waiter at the MDR. They brought a 4"x6"x2" "slab" of cake with a "Happy Birthday" thing stuck on the top. I stopped them from singing and asked for the cake to go. The bottom 1/2" layer was like a torte with raspberry topping. The top 1 1/2" of the cake was pure whipped topping.

We ate at Cagney's the last night and without anyone letting them know, they surprised me with singing and another cake "slab" to go. We found a neighbor in our hallway and gladly gave it to them.

We have celebrated several birthdays and anniversaries while cruising with NCL. Never got a card in the cabin regarding that, but don't see any problem with it. I just tell the person at the restaurant reception what we are celebrating, and then the cake and the singing waiters always "mysteriously" appear at the end of our meal... :p

I have never ordered the "party package" for decoration of the stateroom for ourselves, but I have seen many really nice photos of it - in my opinion it is worth the $30 that it cost. A couple of friends of ours are going on a "birthday" cruise next month, and I have ordered decoration of their stateroom as a surprise for them. :)

Edited by TrumpyNor

My dsd turned 13 during our last cruise. She received a birthday cupcake with a card from the hotel director in the afternoon on her birthday. I've previously gotten the square cake and wanted something better so I pre ordered a Carlos's bakery Oreo cake and had them bring that out after dinner at la cucina. We didn't get a cake card to turn in that I know of, we were in a suite but I had assumed that the cupcake was a replacement for the regular cake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums