Grand Cayman and Cozumel with a scooter

Both ports have shops and restaurants by the pier. However you need to be aware that some of the shops and restaurants may have step entry. With that said I've been to both ports many times and have had little to no issues with riding around on my scooter. Sometimes you might have to back track because a curb cut out can't be found .

Both ports have shops and restaurants by the pier. However you need to be aware that some of the shops and restaurants may have step entry. With that said I've been to both ports many times and have had little to no issues with riding around on my scooter. Sometimes you might have to back track because a curb cut out can't be found .

Thanks at GC is the beach within walking distance? Do the rent beach wheelchairs? A beach wheelchair was awesome at Half Moon Cay.

Sent from my iPad

Grand Cayman is a tender port. Expect that your scooter will be staying on board.

Though it's a tender port , the port of Grand Cayman provides it's own tenders for the cruise ships that have roll-on capabilities. 99.9 % anyone with a mobility scooter will be able to just drive on board the tender. I've been their many times and have always been allowed to ride my scooter directly on board.

Thanks at GC is the beach within walking distance? Do the rent beach wheelchairs? A beach wheelchair was awesome at Half Moon Cay.

Sent from my iPad

Seven-mile beach is about 4 miles away from the port. You'll have to take a taxi. If your scooter is a travel size such as a Pride GoGo it can be broken down and placed in the back of the van provided you can transfer to the vehicle. Not certain if it has beach wheelchairs for rent.

Taxi info

• Grand Cayman only has 1 or 2 accessible taxis available and are often booked in advance . So if available you may have to wait longer.
  • Older taxis have no meter. Rates are fixed and are posted but be sure to confirm the fare before the cab drives off.
  • New cabs have meters.
  • Most cabs are van size and drivers may require four-passenger minimum before they’ll take you anywhere.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair

Seven-mile beach is about 4 miles away from the port. You'll have to take a taxi. If your scooter is a travel size such as a Pride GoGo it can be broken down and placed in the back of the van provided you can transfer to the vehicle. Not certain if it has beach wheelchairs for rent.

Taxi info

•  
  • Grand Cayman only has 1 or 2 accessible taxis available and are often booked in advance . So if available you may have to wait longer.

• Older taxis have no meter. Rates are fixed and are posted but be sure to confirm the fare before the cab drives off.

• New cabs have meters.

• Most cabs are van size and drivers may require four-passenger minimum before they’ll take you anywhere.

• If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

Plenty of shopping near the ports. However, go to the ports board and read thru Cozumel and Grand Cayman. There are hotels that allow you to pay a fee to use their facilities -- beaches, pools, etc. and some of them provide transportation to the piers. Some might have vans that can handle the scooter.

In Cozumel, I booked an excursion to tour the Jose Cuevo museum. Tequila tasting and lunch was served. They came and picked me up in my scooter with a lift right into the van. Afterwards there was plenty of shopping right next to the pier in Cozumel.

Cattitude

In Grand Cayman shopped and Margaritaville for lunch....in Cozumel, more shopping and lunch at Pancho's Backyard at Puerto Maya.

I have done the Stingray city swim in GC even with having a scooter since I have a Travelscoot and it is so light and portable

Edited by nieciez