Anti-seasickness meds on Celebrity

football4life76

I read in a cruise critic article that some cruise lines freely give out anti-seasickness meds such as Bonine. Is this true on Celebrity?

yes but I'm not sure what they give out. I think non-drowsy bonine but don't hold me to that. Just ask for pills at guest services.

I believe that's true but to honest, as a guy who has been sea-sick, I've never suffered from the motion of a cruise ship ocean. On any cruise ship!!! I think that they are just so darn big that small boat "Urp" isn't there. :)

I have however woke up with a bad headache slight naseau and desperate thirst after visits the evening before to the martini bar... but the motion of the ocean was not to blame.... it was the toxic fog that settles over the snow on the refrigerated bar top that is to blame. :rolleyes::p

adventure-journal-poll-hungover-660.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

I read in a cruise critic article that some cruise lines freely give out anti-seasickness meds such as Bonine. Is this true on Celebrity?

I recall, maybe a decade ago, Carnival used have this big bowl of sea sickness tablets at door leading into the medical clinic.

In the last 5 or 6 years I been on Carnival, NCL, Princess (several times) and Celebrity (several) times, I have not seen that bowl.

Maybe they have it in the gift shop now for purchase.

you can get a packet of meclizine (the active ingredient in Bonine) at Guest. Relations.

Unfortunately I do get seasick on cruise ships. If it was not for meclizine I couldn't cruise.

Fortunately I have never needed meds but always bring some 'just in case'. It would not be in my nature to have expect a cruise-line to provide them. Plus, don't you want to read the warnings on the package?

I believe that's true but to honest, as a guy who has been sea-sick, I've never suffered from the motion of a cruise ship ocean. On any cruise ship!!! I think that they are just so darn big that small boat "Urp" isn't there. :)

I have however woke up with a bad headache slight naseau and desperate thirst after visits the evening before to the martini bar... but the motion of the ocean was not to blame.... it was the toxic fog that settles over the snow on the refrigerated bar top that is to blame. :rolleyes::p

adventure-journal-poll-hungover-660.jpg

I hear ya. I've also got sick on "bad ice" :rolleyes: or, maybe the fog covered my ice as well.:)

Meclazine is the ingredient in Dramamine and can be purchased over the counter. You can get it in a 25mg dose upon request / order at Walgreens or CVS. It is good for dizziness as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

Several cruise lines used to give out free Bonine (Meclizine Hcl) but like many freebees this practice seems to have been replaced with methods that enhance the bottom line. Most lines now sell Bonine and some other items (like Seabands) in one of their shops.

Hank

Been there!! Vowed never to sail again but, of course, we do forget when we see a not to be missed offer. Now I really do try to avoid feeling ill. If the sea is a little rough I take ginger. In the UK we can buy these from Health shops - specifically for travelling. I also put on my anti-sickness wrist bands. I also do have sickness tablets in my first aid kit just in case. Don't know if my methods are mind over matter! But I have not been ill when taking the ginger. Worth a try rather than having to resort to medication. Old adage - prevention is better than cure.

I always take seasick meds with me on cruises. I have experienced three cruises when we had very rough seas. I was taking non-drowsy Bonine, which did well preventing seasickness on two of those cruises, but it made me very sleepy (don't know why they call it "non-drowsy"). On one of the cruises it was rough the whole cruise, and I felt queasy the entire time, even with Bonine. I now use the wristbands for seasickness and ginger chews. I also have an inhaler which is supposed to cure seasickness, as well as a homeopathic pill if you get seasick to the point of being bedridden. I also take the Bonine with me, just in case. I know this is probably "overkill," but I don't want to EVER feel seasick again and would do anything possible to prevent it!

We always go to our local pharmacy and buy something beforehand just in case. I also have Seabands...pressure wristbands that supposedly help with motion sickness. Wouldn't want to wait until I'm onboard to hope I can find something that works for me. Worst case is you have it and never use it.

A tip I got from the waitress on our table when travelling with RCI was to sip their lemonade (which is free) the acid in it helps the nausea and it really worked!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was unwell on our first night out of Ft Lauderdale earlier this year. Our waitress and room steward both gave the same advice - eat a green apple slowly. This quickly relieved the symptoms and I then took seasickness pills for the rest of the trip and was fine.

I was unwell on our first night out of Ft Lauderdale earlier this year. Our waitress and room steward both gave the same advice - eat a green apple slowly. This quickly relieved the symptoms and I then took seasickness pills for the rest of the trip and was fine.

We had some rough seas in November off the coast of France. Green apples were readily available and the crew encouraged them as a remedy. One crew member said that a green apple is the first line of defense for crew members and is encouraged by the cruise line who supplies quantities of green apples. Selected crew also used ginger to supplement the green apples.

Do not wait until you are ill - be proactive in your choice of remedy and be ready for the high seas.

Don't be cheap. Go to CVS before your trip and purchase some Dramamine or Bonine for the week. You need to take it an hour before you board transport.

If you wait til you're on the ship to take it and nausea hits, it'll take a couple hour nap to recover.

I take it the day of my flight and continue to take it for a week after disembarking since 1 week at sea = 1 week recovery on land where I still feel like my world is spinning :)

20 years ago I was on Crystal's double pontoon ship and one of the stabilizers went out. Everyone on the ship was sick but the crew. When I was able to get up off the bathroom floor I walked to the ships hospital and was given an injection in my thigh. An hour later I was eating dinner. I have no idea what it was, but I have been looking for it every since.

Wow, I would like to know what that injection is too!

Thankfully our family doesn't seem to have issues with motion sickness, but if my daughter (type 1 diabetic) were to become so ill, it could lead to serious complications. So it is nice to know that the Doctor on board has access to such effective and immediate remedies...

Does anyone know what this injection is?