Gratuity ?

sailnsee

Just to add a point that I don't think has been addressed- just because you opt to remove the auto gratuity doesn't mean you aren't going to tip the full amount to each person. We removed them because we preferred to pay in cash. Just a personal preference. We asked for envelopes but by the time we got back to our stateroom envelopes with handwritten names were already on our beds. Next time we'll just deposit cash to our onboard account to avoid the extra work (and undoubtedly the scare) this caused our steward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='sginva']We were recently on a Celebrity cruise and on a cruise excursion we were questioned as we got off the bus by folks from the UK and New Zealand as to why we tipped the guide and bus driver? We simply said it is our choice to do so for good service. They said they do not believe in tipping and said they pay the gratuities on board because it is required although we are not sure what that means. We have no idea if this is a prevailing opinion? We mentioned our experiences in the UK especially with added service charges and additional tip lines on the bills? In Spain and Italy cafés added cover charges to the bill on a recent trip. Perhaps this is their way of coping with the tipping issue. One guide told us the cover charge comes from times long ago when people would bring there own food to a cafe and only order drinks. Nothing new under the sun...[/QUOTE]

It's not a culture thing it's what the service people are paid. In the USA service workers are normally at or slightly above minimum wage $8-9 per hour and the patrons supplement their income with tips. This keeps the price of the meals lower. In Australia I believe a full time waiter earns about $16.50 an hour and part time about $22.00 per hour. Thus Aussies don't tip the wait staff although meals are more expensive. The Aussies also get Gov't health care where in the USA if the worker even has a health plan they have to pay a portion. Cruise ship workers earn much less per hour and depend on tips to help offset their low pay scale. A few years ago they charged Australians more for the cruise because a great majority didn't tip and the cruise lines paid the workers more because many refused to work cruises around Australia. This has changed since auto tipping was introduced.

[quote name='Viva_la_Vida']Just to add a point that I don't think has been addressed- just because you opt to remove the auto gratuity doesn't mean you aren't going to tip the full amount to each person. We removed them because we preferred to pay in cash. Just a personal preference. We asked for envelopes but by the time we got back to our stateroom envelopes with handwritten names were already on our beds. Next time we'll just deposit cash to our onboard account to avoid the extra work (and undoubtedly the scare) this caused our steward.[/QUOTE]

While your intentions were very good, the end results would disappoint you. Whenever tips are removed, any cash you give to select employees MUST be turned over to the supervisor so it can be included in the pool for all the personnel normally in that pool to share. If a staff member keeps the cash instead of turning it in, they risk being fired, or at the least, reprimanded. The employees on board are in pretty close quarters, and secrets, such as hiding tips, are pretty difficult to keep from their co-workers. This is one reason the list of people who have removed their tips is posted for all employees to see.

If auto tips are left in place, or if they are prepaid, then any additional tips given to individuals as a reward for superior service can be kept by them. Edited by boogs

[quote name='boogs']While your intentions were very good, the end results would disappoint you. Whenever tips are removed, any cash you give to select employees MUST be turned over to the supervisor so it can be included in the pool for all the personnel normally in that pool to share. If a staff member keeps the cash instead of turning it in, they risk being fired, or at the least, reprimanded. The employees on board are in pretty close quarters, and secrets, such as hiding tips, are pretty difficult to keep from their co-workers. This is one reason the list of people who have removed their tips is posted for all employees to see.

If auto tips are left in place, or if they are prepaid, then any additional tips given to individuals as a reward for superior service can be kept by them.[/QUOTE]

I have heard the above but have also heard just the opposite, I guess one of those things we will never know for sure.

[quote name='boogs']While your intentions were very good, the end results would disappoint you. Whenever tips are removed, any cash you give to select employees MUST be turned over to the supervisor so it can be included in the pool for all the personnel normally in that pool to share. If a staff member keeps the cash instead of turning it in, they risk being fired, or at the least, reprimanded. The employees on board are in pretty close quarters, and secrets, such as hiding tips, are pretty difficult to keep from their co-workers. This is one reason the list of people who have removed their tips is posted for all employees to see.[/quote]
This is my understanding of how it works and seems to be the norm on the four lines we've cruised on. It's been reported over and over and over so either it IS true or else it's an urban legend. I'm going with truth.:)

[quote]If auto tips are left in place, or if they are prepaid, then any additional tips given to individuals as a reward for superior service can be kept by them.[/quote]
This comes up all the time as well so on my last cruise I specifically asked our cabin steward. I said, "I've prepaid, if I give you cash in hand, can you keep this for yourself and not have to share any of it?" He said yes.

[quote name='dkjretired']I have heard the above but have also heard just the opposite, I guess one of those things we will never know for sure.[/QUOTE]

No, it is not "one of those things we will never know for sure". There are two CC members posting on various forums who have worked for the cruise lines in management positions for several years. Both have reported that the policies are as I described. It is the truth, if a source intimately familiar with the inner workings of cruise lines can be believed. I consider this topic to be settled, as I have no reason to believe that these experienced people are lying to us. Edited by boogs

[quote name='boogs']No, it is not "one of those things we will never know for sure". There are two CC members posting on various forums who have worked for the cruise lines in management positions for several years. Both have reported that the policies are as I described. It is the truth, if a source intimately familiar with the inner workings of cruise lines can be believed. I consider this topic to be settled, as I have no reason to believe that these experienced people are lying to us.[/QUOTE]

Stand by my statement, if you noticed I said I don't know for sure which is true. I have spoken to current employees who have said just the opposite and this was in person, have also spoken to other employees who have agreed with you. Sorry, I don't consider it settled but see no reason to pursue it since its really not that important in the long run. Edited by dkjretired