Gratuity ?

sailnsee

A good friend of mine worked one summer as a waiter on some sort of ship. Thirty years later he was still bemoaning the fact that a family of five would tip as though they were only a couple, completing ignoring the fact that their three children were being served, too.

Some of the confusion may be that until about ten years ago, Celebrity's official tipping guidelines were that children staying in a room with their parents as third, fourths or fifths were tipped at half of the first two.

Yes, I remember that era. Fortunately, that policy ended at about the time our children required their own room, so the tipping amount became a moot point.

If tips are removed staff are told. On a cruise last year our cabin steward seemed upset and so I asked if she was okay. She said that her supervisor had told her five of her cabins had cancelled their gratuities - quite an amount as it was a 19 night cruise. However, she seemed more upset about her supervisor wanting to know why rather than the loss of money. Her service was excellent and I tried to reassure her but she was worried.

Children usually require much more clean up than adults in the cabin and at meals they usually require more attention and clean up than other passengers. Therefore, if the parents can not either afford or think that they want to opt out of paying the grats for the kids then they should either leave them at home or think of another type of vacation venue.

Do celebrity make up their wage if the tips are cancelled ?

Why should the staff miss out on their wAge just because they were unlucky to get a cabin with someone who wants to take off the tips because they are tight and for no other reason

It seems so unfair, they miss out through no fault of their own

This is the info that you are given when you try and book a cruise in the UK departing Southampton.

Note the part about paying in cash! (Btw We always leave the tips in place and get dollars to tip extra in cash)

Often people ask why they should tip on our ships. While tipping is not mandatory (unless you have selected flexible dining) we pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service during your cruise holiday. This is provided by many different staff members on the ships, who strive to ensure you enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

The easiest way to think of it is like being in the United States, where tipping is generally accepted and in some circumstances expected.

To make it easy you can pay a single amount for your gratuities now -€“ which will cover everyone except bar staff. Or you can choose to tip while onboard.

View a guide to where your pre-paid gratuities go and payment options. (and how they are worked out)

Your choice:

Pre-pay your gratuities now (except tips for bar staff) and don'€™t worry about it again.

This will add £163.68 to your package price.

Don't pay now and pay gratuities while onboard.

GUIDE TO PRE-PAID GRATUITIES

So that you can thank those who have made your cruise holiday better than you could have imagined, we'€™ve developed these guidelines for tipping:

Waiter: USD 3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: USD 2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter: USD 0.75 a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: USD 5.00 a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: USD 7.25 a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. Amounts are shown in USD as this is the currency used onboard all ships.

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served. Envelopes for tips will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

- Pre-pay now with your online booking.

- Added to your on board SeaPass payment account.

- Paid in cash at the end of the cruise.

Edited by DebbieMacG

Four people in a cabin doesn't take four times the work or time but other areas are equal like dining services. There is only one floor to vacuum and 1 bathroom to clean but 4 beds. I'd be ok with tipping for half the adult amount for the kids with regard to the cabin steward, and that's my opinion.

I hve been told by staff that they do not tell staff who removed the auto tip for fear of reprisals from staff. Staff might find out on payday. It really doesn't matter because it's none of our business how much they get paid and how they find out about passengers tips.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo many people on this board have already stated how they double and triple tip and even bribe with a tip on embarkation day that it wouldn't even be felt by your steward if you reduced his cut a wee bit.

When tips are reduced or removed, it is a black mark against your service team. That may not be your intent, but that is what happens

That may or may not be true in a cabin with 2 people but when there are 4 in a cabin and 2 are young children I'd like to think the powers that be use some common sense when the adults pay their full load and just reduce the kids load a wee bit.

That may or may not be true in a cabin with 2 people but when there are 4 in a cabin and 2 are young children I'd like to think the powers that be use some common sense when the adults pay their full load and just reduce the kids load a wee bit.

What if all four are adults? You previously said four in a cabin does't increase the work, there is only one floor to clean, one bathroom to clean.....should the tips then be reduced for the two adults?

Four in a room means four beds to make -- doesn't matter if they are adults or children -- extra towels, extra glassware, extra trash to empty, extra plates to clear if there has been room service, it isn't rocket science. Four in a room means four are dining and the tips must be paid for the servers in the dining room and buffet. Celebrity wisely realized that children create just as much work as adults, and the tips are all the same for all ages.

The powers that be made their decision a few years back and made it public when they increased the gratuity service charge to a full rate for children. That is now published as the recommended amount and it is the amount used for auto-tips and prepaid tips when collected in advance.

If feel that you don't want to tip the full amount then that is your privilege as long as you are not required to prepay your gratuities. But I think most of the members of this web site, myself included, would disagree with doing so.

Edited by Lsimon

[quote name='cruisestitch']Four in a room means four beds to make -- doesn't matter if they are adults or children -- extra towels, extra glassware, extra trash to empty, extra plates to clear if there has been room service, it isn't rocket science. Four in a room means four are dining and the tips must be paid for the servers in the dining room and buffet. Celebrity wisely realized that children create just as much work as adults, and the tips are all the same for all ages.[/QUOTE]
That is why I stated I wouldn't decrease the tipping amount to anyone but the cabin steward in the OP's position AND I also stated I would tip half of the 2 kids and full for the adults because there are 2 more beds to make. Everyone has to do what they feel is fair and that is what i think would be fair. The OP is free to do as they see fit. Some cruise lines wisely realized that children don't warrant the same work as adults and have decreased the tipping on those under 12. I don't think this thread was meant to argue because nobody is going to change anyone elses mind but merely tell the OP their opinion, which I've accomplished.

We recently took our grandson on a Disney cruise - gratuities for him added to our account. It did seem a lot BUT the staff really worked. Each evening his bed had to be pulled out and made up/pushed back next morning. Dining room staff were incredible - drinks waiting, sorting changes, extra veg. Etc for him. They all earned his gratuities.
However, our waitress did tell us that many larger families cancel their tips - I suppose it can reach a large amount for a family. Perhaps if they were reduced a little more would pay.:rolleyes: Easy to say they should not book if they cannot pay the required gratuities but many families have to save and work very hard all year to pay for a cruise - only to be given a large bill to pay for staff services which they assume would be included in the cruise price. We do have to remember that most people work all year and never receive any tip.
I suppose I am sitting on the fence but there are always two ways of looking at things - who is to say which is right:eek:

[quote name='Jenna109']We recently took our grandson on a Disney cruise - gratuities for him added to our account. It did seem a lot BUT the staff really worked. Each evening his bed had to be pulled out and made up/pushed back next morning. Dining room staff were incredible - drinks waiting, sorting changes, extra veg. Etc for him. They all earned his gratuities.
However, our waitress did tell us that many larger families cancel their tips - I suppose it can reach a large amount for a family. Perhaps if they were reduced a little more would pay.:rolleyes: Easy to say they should not book if they cannot pay the required gratuities but many families have to save and work very hard all year to pay for a cruise - only to be given a large bill to pay for staff services which they assume would be included in the cruise price. We do have to remember that most people work all year and never receive any tip.
I suppose I am sitting on the fence but there are always two ways of looking at things - who is to say which is right:eek:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]The people who work all year and never receive a tip are being paid a lot more than the crew on the ship. The gratuities are part of their pay and part of the cost of cruising.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Jenna109']However, our waitress did tell us that many larger families cancel their tips - I suppose it can reach a large amount for a family. Perhaps if they were reduced a little more would pay.:rolleyes: Easy to say they should not book if they cannot pay the required gratuities but many families have to save and work very hard all year to pay for a cruise - only to be given a large bill to pay for staff services which they assume would be included in the cruise price. We do have to remember that most people work all year and never receive any tip.
[B]I suppose I am sitting on the fence but there are always two ways of looking at things - who is to say which is right:[/B]eek:[/QUOTE]

There is no question of who is right - those who follow the cruise line's policies on this topic are the one's who are right. If a person wants to take a cruise, it is up to them to know the cruise line's published policies and to follow them instead of playing the "I didn't know" card and doing what benefits only themselves.

And, yes, if a family can't pay for all the expenses of taking a cruise, they shouldn't be taking it. Claiming that they can't pay the tips because they can't afford them is ridiculous. It is simply them taking advantage of the service staff to save a few dollars because they are cheap. Not much different than going into a clothing store and paying for a nice shirt and expensive pair pants, but stealing the socks because if they had to pay for them they "couldn't afford" the new outfit! :rolleyes: Edited by swsfrail

[quote name='Jenna109']Easy to say they should not book if they cannot pay the required gratuities but many families have to save and work very hard all year to pay for a cruise - only to be given a large bill to pay for staff services which they assume would be included in the cruise price. We do have to remember that most people work all year and never receive any tip.
I suppose I am sitting on the fence but there are always two ways of looking at things - who is to say which is right:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is easy to say because it is true. No one is "entitled" to go on a cruise. It is something that is an extra, and something that shouldn't be purchased unless it can be afforded -- including any and all extra and incidental charges.

[quote name='cruisemom42']Yes, it is easy to say because it is true. No one is "entitled" to go on a cruise. It is something that is an extra, and something that shouldn't be purchased unless it can be afforded -- including any and all extra and incidental charges.[/QUOTE]

Just proves that people should do their research, no way that someone should get on board and have it as a surprise to pay tips as a previous poster suggested.

[quote name='Happy Cruiser 6143'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]The people who work all year and never receive a tip are being paid a lot more than the crew on the ship. The gratuities are part of their pay and part of the cost of cruising.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Totally agree with you, Linda! While I am sympathetic to folks who are footing the bill for a family trip -- a post I read many years ago on this topic said it best: If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to cruise. :cool:

I've taken my kids on 3 cruises.

In the cabin:
- More beds to make including BUNK BEDS (ugh)
- More towels, washcloths, etc
- More trash to dispose of
- Frequent crumbs on the table that wouldn't have been there if no kids
- My little guy's diaper leaked one night so they needed to do an extra change of linens on that bed
- Huge cookies were left for each of them in the cabin
- More towel animals to make (another cruise line)

In the dining room:
- More going to/from our table because kids took longer to decide what to eat
- More dishes to bring to us
- More plates to take away
- More going to/from our table because kids didn't like some meals & wait staff graciously offered/insisted on bringing something else
(and, besides, when eating out in the US you pay tips based on total cost of bill ... so you pay tips for your kids at home too)

So, in my opinion, the gratuities we paid for our kids were well deserved.

[quote name='DebbieMacG']This is the info that you are given when you try and book a cruise in the UK departing Southampton.

Note the part about paying in cash! (Btw We always leave the tips in place and get dollars to tip extra in cash)

[B]Often people ask why they should tip on our ships. While tipping is not mandatory (unless you have selected flexible dining) we pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service during your cruise holiday. This is provided by many different staff members on the ships, who strive to ensure you enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

The easiest way to think of it is like being in the United States, where tipping is generally accepted and in some circumstances expected.

To make it easy you can pay a single amount for your gratuities now -€“ which will cover everyone except bar staff. Or you can choose to tip while onboard.

View a guide to where your pre-paid gratuities go and payment options. (and how they are worked out)
Your choice:
Pre-pay your gratuities now (except tips for bar staff) and don'€™t worry about it again.
This will add £163.68 to your package price.
Don't pay now and pay gratuities while onboard.

GUIDE TO PRE-PAID GRATUITIES
So that you can thank those who have made your cruise holiday better than you could have imagined, we'€™ve developed these guidelines for tipping:

Waiter: USD 3.75 a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: USD 2.15 a day per guest

Head Waiter: USD 0.75 a day per guest

Housekeeping staff: USD 5.00 a day per guest

Suite Housekeeping staff: USD 7.25 a day per guest

Note: These gratuities apply to guests of all ages. Amounts are shown in USD as this is the currency used onboard all ships.

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15% gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served. Envelopes for tips will be provided in your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.

Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:
- Pre-pay now with your online booking.
- Added to your on board SeaPass payment account.
[U]- Paid in cash at the end of the cruise[/U].[/B][/QUOTE]
Excellent explanation, thank you. 3 questions:
1. Do the prepaid tips paid for Celebrity Select include housekeeping or just dining tips?
2. What are the tips people talk about leaving for the steward the last night? Is your room steward otherwise not included in the daily tip fee.
3. Having prepaid Celebrity Select tips, will any additional tips be added to my account without my expressly adding them myself?

[quote name='Ymc8']1. Do the prepaid tips paid for Celebrity Select include housekeeping or just dining tips?[/QUOTE]

Prepaid tips, and auto tips, go to everyone who deserves to be tipped, including cabin stewards, dining rooms waiters, buffet staff, and their support people.

[quote name='Ymc8']2. What are the tips people talk about leaving for the steward the last night? Is your room steward otherwise not included in the daily tip fee.[/QUOTE]

These are extra tips given to select people for better than expected service. It is entirely voluntary.

[quote name='Ymc8']3. Having prepaid Celebrity Select tips, will any additional tips be added to my account without my expressly adding them myself?[/QUOTE]

No additional tips will be added. If you choose to give extra, you give it directly to the people you want to reward.

The only exceptions are tips that are automatically added to your bill when ordering drinks - which is also covered if you have a drink package. Or tips for Spa staff. Edited by boogs