Where can I buy Cuban cigars

In all honesty what would happen if you did bring them back and you got caught? I cannot imagine you would get arrested. Would you??

I have been told the fine can be up to $1,000 per cigar. Most likely they would just take them.

I only brought a few back ... slipped the bands off ... customs agent saw them, looked at them, put them back in my carry on.

With no bands, they can't tell, nor would they waste the time and resources to confirm.

They did however confiscate my small, half empty bottle of Listerine.

LOL! :D That's hilarious!

My dad used to smoke Cuban cigars back in the day and his dad used to make them.

By-the-way, why in the world was your Listerine confiscated...for what reason, or did they give you one? You were pretty daring!;D

When we go to my SIL's timeshare condo in Cabo San Lucas, MX, the guys always enjoy a good Cuban cigar. But they would never try to buy some and bring them into the U.S. Not that the OP said he would.

Edited by mousey

I bought a couple in Mexico for my SIL. Were they real? I don't know. Someone said later real good Cubans are kept in cases like a humidor or they go bad. All I know is I put them in my luggage and didn't mention them. No one really questions you at customs. Don't ask don't tell. ;). As for the do gooders that say you are breaking the law, you'd probably be the same type to tell some poor guy to take his cowboy hat off in the MDR.

Edited by kona_wahine

Cubans highly overrated. How to spot one? Unless you are a cigar expert probably not going to be able to tell. I was told counterfeits look different from cigar to cigar in the box so don't look at just one look at the entire box. Also seams and ends will be irregular looking.

Customs will just make you dump them in a box and then they smoke them at a party.

Some people just telling others what they should be doing. Good thing you didn't mention getting prescription drugs:eek:

At what point did the poster imply what the OP should or should not do? The poster stated US law. Period.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANY IMPROPER OR ILLEGAL ACTIONS:

That said, I know people who smuggle back cigarettes to avoid taxes because they're so much cheaper. If you bring back Dominican or Nicaraguan cigars, no one is ever going to know unless your bag is physically searched, and out of the bags physically checked and stowed the night before, it's hundreds and hundreds of bags. So, the customs dog comes in and sniffs the bags....now....

1. The dog is sniffing for illegal drugs...pot, hash, coke, heroin

2. Tobacco is tobacco. A dog is not going to be able to differentiate between where the tobacco is grown. Dog is not going to know if the tobacco came from North Carolina, Dominica or Cuba.

3. TONS of people have tobacco packed in their bags, just like their toiletries, because it's what they need to get through the week and many pack their own out of fear that "their brand" may not be available elsewhere.

4. IF, by some freak chance, you get caught with a box, you first claim ignorance "I didn't know they were Cuban made" and second all they'll do is throw them away. Nothing more. You won't go to prison, you won't get a fine, UNLESS you're trying to smuggle back an entire suitcase and then they might think you have intent to distribute, and again, worst you'll get is a fine.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANY IMPROPER OR ILLEGAL ACTIONS:

That said, I know people who smuggle back cigarettes to avoid taxes because they're so much cheaper. If you bring back Dominican or Nicaraguan cigars, no one is ever going to know unless your bag is physically searched, and out of the bags physically checked and stowed the night before, it's hundreds and hundreds of bags. So, the customs dog comes in and sniffs the bags....now....

1. The dog is sniffing for illegal drugs...pot, hash, coke, heroin

2. Tobacco is tobacco. A dog is not going to be able to differentiate between where the tobacco is grown. Dog is not going to know if the tobacco came from North Carolina, Dominica or Cuba.

3. TONS of people have tobacco packed in their bags, just like their toiletries, because it's what they need to get through the week and many pack their own out of fear that "their brand" may not be available elsewhere.

4. IF, by some freak chance, you get caught with a box, you first claim ignorance "I didn't know they were Cuban made" and second all they'll do is throw them away. Nothing more. You won't go to prison, you won't get a fine, UNLESS you're trying to smuggle back an entire suitcase and then they might think you have intent to distribute, and again, worst you'll get is a fine.

If that is how US customs sniffer dogs are trained dont make a mistake and think this would be the case if on a visit to Australia anytime!:eek:

Plants animals seeds skins wood money guns ammunition explosives fruit Honey tobacco and the list goes on! Beagles have an amazing nose for it;)

On an Immigration/customs form you sign a declaration and there is no waiver to ignorance just as in Law! :)

check this place out ,they come highly recommended ,they have a great selection and great service,,,,,Cigar Emporium

Renaissance Mall

Aruba.Here is the website,,http://www.cigaremporium.biz/

Just make sure you smoke them all before you come back home.

check this place out ,they come highly recommended ,they have a great selection and great service,,,,,Cigar Emporium

Renaissance Mall

Aruba.Here is the website,,http://www.cigaremporium.biz/

Cigar Emporium at Renaissance Mall and the La Casa Del Habano/LCDH in the Royal Palace Mall are the legitimate sources for all cigars in Aruba.

Not sure about Aruba. Never been there.

Bought some nice Partagas series E Habanos from Stogies in Nassau last week.

Not cheap. Spent 25 bucks a pop on em.

The selection wasnt great, they are one of the few spots well known

by cruise smokers , so they get picked over quickly.

But I've never purchased any from them that I would consider suspect.

Problem with Nassau is every liquer store on the main drag has big

'CUBANS' signs in the front window. For eight bucks you can buy em.

And the only thing Cuban about the cigars inside, are the Cuban guy in

the back rolling them out of whatever and slipping a nicely counterfitted

band on the things.

Smoked one on the boat on the way back. Delicious.

Smoked it until I couldnt hold onto it anymore.

In all the cruises Ive taken, 9 so far, Ive never had customs go through

my luggage looking for cigars. Dont know if they have some mandatory,

search every 100th bag thing or something, but they havent bothered yet.

Can you tell the difference between a Cuban and a Nicaraquan grown

from Cuban seeds?

Absolutely.

Not sure if its the soil of Cuba or what that imparts the difference.

I recall last summer when I went out to mow the lawn.

I lit a cigar I had grabbed out of my humidor,

and suddenly realized something amiss.

It was wayyy too good to be smoking mowing a lawn.

I looked down and noticed I had accidently lit one of the three cubans

I had in my stash.

Best lawn mowing experience in my life, though I would rather have saved

the thing for a special occasion.

Maybe its my imagination, but they just have a certain taste,

they tend to have better quality control in the rolling department,

and I find the ash often burns darker.

Have I smoked a Dominican or something that is just as good as any

Cuban? Plenty of times.

Lots of great cigars out there,

the Cubans dont have a lock on good tobacco,

but they do indeed have their own special thing going on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If that is how US customs sniffer dogs are trained dont make a mistake and think this would be the case if on a visit to Australia anytime!:eek:

Plants animals seeds skins wood money guns ammunition explosives fruit Honey tobacco and the list goes on! Beagles have an amazing nose for it;)

On an Immigration/customs form you sign a declaration and there is no waiver to ignorance just as in Law! :)

I never claimed the dogs could not differentiate one item from another, and I am sure the dogs smell tobacco, but what I am saying is, hundreds of people (of say 2000 on a ship) have tobacco packed in their bags and that the dog cannot differentiate between a Dominican cigar from a Cuban Cigar, any more than the same dog can differentiate between a carton or Marlboros from a carton of Pall Mall.

If they yanked and searched every bag that smelled of tobacco, the ship would be impounded until noon or later as they hand searched hundreds of bags.

They don't have time for that, they're looking for drugs, not some guy's cigar, be it Dominican or Cuban

it would be illegal for a US citizen to buy a Cuban cigar.

there was a cigar shop by the Moombar place on Aruba (palm/eagle beach) that sold Cuban cigars. they don't check your nationality as its not illegal for them to sell the cigars.

so its up to you at that point.

I am going to Aruba curaçao grand turk

There is a great place in Aruba. When you are on the main street after you exit the pier turn left. The first side street on the right (I think where the Hard Rock store is) there is a little shop where a guy who emigrated from Cuba sells cigars. He sells by the stick or by the box. Good prices too. Great walk in humidor.

Sorry I can't remember the name but I would go back there in a heart beat. It is also walking distance easily from the pier and in the heart of decent shopping.

Anyone ever been to La Casa Del Habano in Cozumel? If you did, where is it located?

The corner of Av.Rafael E. Melgar and Av.Juarez second floor. The picture is facing Juarez from Melgar. That section of Juarez is limited to foot traffic. The stairs are just beyond the umbrellas.

b61bb13c-392e-4a14-92d8-01012367f9ca_zpse6a79adf.jpg

There is a great place in Aruba. When you are on the main street after you exit the pier turn left. The first side street on the right (I think where the Hard Rock store is) there is a little shop where a guy who emigrated from Cuba sells cigars. He sells by the stick or by the box. Good prices too. Great walk in humidor.

Sorry I can't remember the name but I would go back there in a heart beat. It is also walking distance easily from the pier and in the heart of decent shopping.

This is another great place!!! Forgot about this one. It's Z-Bar or something like that?