Hotel with MIA and PoM shuttles - not too close to airport!

RuxieGirl

Hey there! My mom is treating us to this amazing cruise out of the PoM, so I'm trying to do everything I can to honor her requests. We are flying into Miami a day early for our Saturday cruise and want to stay at a hotel with complimentary shuttles from the airport and to the port. BUT, here's the kicker, she would rather not stay TOO close to the airport and have to listen to planes taking off and landing all night and morning.

Any recommendations for a hotel that ticks all these boxes, free shuttles and not too close to the airport?? Oh, and breakfast and wifi would be a plus, no one said my mom was low-maintenance!

Thanks!

Any recommendations for a hotel that ticks all these boxes, free shuttles and not too close to the airport?? Oh, and breakfast and wifi would be a plus, no one said my mom was low-maintenance!

Well while you're at it, might as well ask for a hotel with Chippendale dancers for bellboys! :D

But seriously, assuming you want the least expensive hotel that ticks your boxes, first one that came to my mind was this oft-asked about one:

http://www.hotels.com/ho326850/springhill-suites-by-marriott-miami-airport-e-medical-center-miami-united-states/

Just about halfway between airport and port. Free airport transfers (but on their schedule), free internet and breakfast, free evening shuttle to/from Bayside (as there is nothing to do at night near the hotel, especially weekends)--but a fee for the Port shuttle in the morning.

But double seriously--if going more than a couple miles away from the airport, just stay near the port, either in Brickell or Downtown Miami, even though you would have to pay for a taxi from the airport (about $30-35). Well worth the piece of mind.

Edited by fishywood

How many people? Date needed? Budget?

These all will help us narrow down your choices. If off season when prices are a value, and you have a lot of day left when you arrive, I'd look at downtown or even Brickell so you have something to do in walking distance.

Edited by eandj

Thanks for asking! I am happy to share specifics with you and grateful you are willing to help make this a great trip for us.

Let's see, there will be my mom and stepdad (60's), my hubs and I and our daughters, 5 and 9. We will need 2 rooms. My sister, DH and their kids 17 and 14 might be joining us too but we aren't sure yet. They will have their own room, too, of course. We are arriving at 2pm-ish so having somewhere to walk would be wonderful, although a hotel with a pool would also be enough to fill our day. We would need somewhere to do dinner, though.

We will need our hotel for the night of July 18th. Does this help.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for asking! I am happy to share specifics with you and grateful you are willing to help make this a great trip for us.

Thanks again!!

Not sure if this fits into your budget, but on lastminutetravel.com you can get the Intercontinental Hotel on Chopin for about 98.00 a night. Plus taxes. (When you look at lmt.com Intercontinental will be the 5 star hotel located 8.35 miles from the airport for 108. But if you call you will get the 98.00 rate. ) It's a beautiful hotel right on the water and a 6 or 7 min walk to Bayside Mall, an eating and shopping area popular with cruisers/tourists. You can pick up a couple water tours there as well as the hop on hop off bus tours.

It won't give you free breakfast, but you can get a reasonable one at Bayside Mall in the morning at a couple places that open early there. You will also need to cab it to the hotel. About $25 per cab. Not sure if you can fit 6 in any of the suv cabs. Cab to the port is about $10. You can see all the ships from the hotel.

I would MUCH rather stay in this area, rather than out by the airport with so much time to spend. But you can look at airport hotels. Blue Lagoon area are the nicest and have a few restaurants nearby. I didn't look at those.

Another popular hotel is Hampton Inn in Brickell. Near downtown with lots of restaurnats. Not on water tho.

Edited by eandj

A second vote to check-out the Springhill Suites downtown near Jackson Memorial. The hotel has an airport shuttle, and a free shuttle down to Bayside or anywhere within a certain radius of the hotel. They also offer a complimentary breakfast and a ride to the port which is only 3 miles away.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/local-things-to-do/miahd-springhill-suites-miami-airport-east-medical-center/

Have Fun.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

A second vote to check-out the Springhill Suites downtown near Jackson Memorial. The hotel has an airport shuttle, and a free shuttle down to Bayside or anywhere within a certain radius of the hotel. They also offer a complimentary breakfast and a ride to the port which is only 3 miles away.

Have Fun.

I checked their website, but don't see any mention of a shuttle to the port.

On the provided link, above, it priced my one night at $179 in October, but directly with the hotel the Senior rate was only $110.

gary

Let's see, there will be my mom and stepdad (60's), my hubs and I and our daughters, 5 and 9. We will need 2 rooms. My sister, DH and their kids 17 and 14 might be joining us too but we aren't sure yet. They will have their own room, too, of course. We are arriving at 2pm-ish so having somewhere to walk would be wonderful, although a hotel with a pool would also be enough to fill our day. We would need somewhere to do dinner, though.

Thanks again!!

Prices in July should be LOW as the heat and humidity will be high. Instead of focussing on "free" shuttles" I would search for bargains downtown (close to POM) and use a taxi to get from MIA to your hotel and to the port the next morning. Check the Doubletree (what a pool!), Marriott, IC, Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn Mary Brickell -- all will offer shopping and dining options close by.

Don't focus on the free shuttle, you'll end up with hotels that are so-so at best in crappy locations.

July rates are really cheap. The hotels that go for several hundred dollars in February will be under a hundred in July.

July is miserable hot. I'd stay out on the beach.

• 1 month later...
I think the Hampton Inn Brickell looks pretty good as did the Marriott.

Don't forget the sunscreen :)

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell this past April. In fact our group had a total of 5 rooms and everyone was happy. We have a smaller group going next year and the Intercontinental was on my short list but they are so expensive.

It's coming up over $300 a night. Does anyone have a secret on how to get a better price. Should I wait until closer to our cruise (4/12/15)?

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Brickell this past April. In fact our group had a total of 5 rooms and everyone was happy. We have a smaller group going next year and the Intercontinental was on my short list but they are so expensive.

It's coming up over $300 a night. Does anyone have a secret on how to get a better price. Should I wait until closer to our cruise (4/12/15)?

You are searching for the Sunday after Easter when lots of schools are still out and demand is still high (but not as high as in Feb!). Compare the Hampton to other downtown hotels suggested above. Book something you can cancel without penalty and then keep watching and shopping!

You are searching for the Sunday after Easter when lots of schools are still out and demand is still high (but not as high as in Feb!). Compare the Hampton to other downtown hotels suggested above. Book something you can cancel without penalty and then keep watching and shopping!

Good advice. I didn't even think about Easter or spring break.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/local-things-to-do/miahd-springhill-suites-miami-airport-east-medical-center/

Have Fun.

I just called the Springhill Suites because I am looking for a hotel with the same thing (airport & cruise port shuttles) - Their airport shuttle runs every hour on the hour from 6am to 11pm and is free-the cruise port shuttle is 11am, 12pm 1pm and 1:30 and is $8/person.

Our flight lands at 11pm so the only places so far for me are the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North (both shuttles free) or the Miami Airport Hotel (have to pay to the port) but the Miami Airport Hotel didn't get good reviews.

Do you have any other ideas that might be cheaper for accommodations even if I pay for shuttles? We won't be spending much time at the hotel but want someplace nice. Our airline switched times on us shortly after I booked. We didn't plan on coming in at 11pm.

Edited by sunflower47

Do you have any other ideas that might be cheaper for accommodations even if I pay for shuttles? We won't be spending much time at the hotel but want someplace nice. Our airline switched times on us shortly after I booked. We didn't plan on coming in at 11pm.

What date and what's your budget?

What date and what's your budget?

We are coming in early November this year.

We already have three reservations booked:

Comfort Inn Miami Airport North which includes 2 free shuttles and free breakfast paying $182 w/ tax included.

The Miami Airport Hotel is $180.00 with no shuttle to the port and full breakfast included but bad reviews on Tripadvisor. The only convenience is that it is in the airport and we don't have to wait for a shuttle after we claim our bags at 11:30 at night. Reviews say it is very difficult to find in the airport. If that is ture we may spend more time waking in circles then walking out the door and catching a shuttle. :eek:

The Laquinta Airport Inn & Suites East is $123.46 but the airport shuttle stops at 11pm - they have free transportation to for both airport and cruise port but we would have to pay for the taxi from the airport since the flight gets in after 11pm - reviews are pretty good on this one and it includes free breakfast. I figure $24+ tip more for taxi from airport making this around $155.00

If there was something else in the same ball park range of $130-$150 in Miami close to the port I wouldn't mind paying for a taxi to the hotel and to the the port or at least one of the directions, if we had a nicer view of the area when we woke up in the morning. We have no time at night to enjoy it but will have a few hours in the morning before having to leave for the cruise.

There is also the possibility airlines will change flight times around again as it gets closer, hopefully back to the earlier time I originally booked. :rolleyes:

Edited by sunflower47