a few hours in Denali and Anchorage

aqua

We are taking a Holland Land and Sea package next month. After we do the White Water Rafting excursion in Denali, we should have several hours of daylight left. Is there anything that we can do that is close to the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge?

We will also have a few hours in Anchorage on a Saturday night and Sunday morning. We will be staying at the Hilton. Suggestions welcome! Thank you!

Check out the Chanber of Commerce listings. Some vendors will pick you up.

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

Or the Denali Salmon Bake has a shuttle if any of the stops work for you.

I assume you're taking a bus INTO the park at some point, but you could go back to the park and take the free shuttle to Savage River at Mile 15 where there is a nice trail along the river. Or go to the free sled dog demo at 4pm.

Lots of park activities are noted in the park newsletter:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/upload/Alpenglow2014_int.pdf

In Anchorage, rent bikes and ride the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail; visit the street market downtown; take a segway tour; visit the log cabin visitor center (nice photo op). Many activities noted on the anchorage visitor information web site.

I also hope that the original poster is actually going INTO Denali as the Denali Princess is located outside of the park in the area referred to as "Glitter Gulch."

In Anchorage consider the Alaska Native Heritage Center or the Anchorage Museum of History and Art.

Check out the Chanber of Commerce listings. Some vendors will pick you up.

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

Or the Denali Salmon Bake has a shuttle if any of the stops work for you.

I assume you're taking a bus INTO the park at some point, but you could go back to the park and take the free shuttle to Savage River at Mile 15 where there is a nice trail along the river. Or go to the free sled dog demo at 4pm.

Lots of park activities are noted in the park newsletter:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/upload/Alpenglow2014_int.pdf

In Anchorage, rent bikes and ride the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail; visit the street market downtown; take a segway tour; visit the log cabin visitor center (nice photo op). Many activities noted on the anchorage visitor information web site.

Thanks for the link. Most helpful. We will be there in a couple weeks. :)

In June and early July you will have about 20 hr of daylight so LOTS of time to enjoy the sights. In Anchorage go to the market at 3 rd and E street, walk around downtown, walk the Tony Knowles trail along the ocean, rent a bike, Segway tour of town, Anchorage Museum is excellent, Alaska Native Heritage Center ( not downtown), fish in Ship Creek near the hotels, wonderful art galleries, Trolley ride sightseeing, just a few sights. Great restaurants in town also!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you go to the HAL website and see what excursions are offered (you don't have to book with HAL if you don't want to), it will give you an idea what you have time to do. HAL will only let you book what you have time for.

We actually only booked 1 excursion on our cruisetour. The rest of the time we were content to do and see what HAL had included. At Denali, we booked the "Husky Homestead Tour". I had been watching the Iditarod on the Internet and watched Jeff King win in 2006, so I knew I wanted to go to his home. I told my traveling companions I was going there if I had to walk, fortunately HAL offered it as an excursion, so I didn't have to walk.

Others have given you a good idea of some things to do. Have fun planning, then taking your cruisetour. Alaska is an awesome destination.