Tips for traveling with an almost 2 yo on Oasis

Hello everyone!

I am planning my first RCI cruise and my first cruise ever with a toddler. I'll be traveling with my daughter and granddaughter. I'm curious about activities/dining venues, etc. that would be good or possibly something's to definitely avoid. The baby is only two months old now so it's tough to tell what her temperament will be like in 18 months. I'm assuming that she's too young for children's programs so any tips or info on in-room day care would be appreciated!

TIA,

Allie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be interested in the answers you get. My wife and I will be on Explorer in late August with our 13 month old son. Exciting though, we think he is gonna love it. He loves meeting people, and he will be meeting a lot of people. I hope you get some answers soon, I'll be interested to read them. Have fun on Oasis with daughter and granddaughter!

May find this useful

Royal Babies & Royal Tots

Our Royal Babies program (ages 6-18 months) offers our tiniest guests and their parents interactive classes filled with enriching activities developed by early childhood experts at Fisher-Price®. Our Royal Tots program (ages 18-36 months) offers 45-minute interactive playground sessions filled with age-appropriate activities and toys. Both programs are hosted by our trained youth staff. A parent or caregiver must accompany child during all activity sessions.

Cost for nursery $6 per hour daytime, $8 per hour evening.

You can pre order Huggies diapers wipes and baby food to be delivered to your stateroom

Our DD has sailed with us since 6 months old, now 12 and we have never had any issues with dining

Edited by PompeySailor

In room baby sitting can be set up at guest relations for evenings

Would advise to book well in advance and child must be minimum 1 year old

And my DW has just told me it is available from 08:00am - 02:00 am when staff

Are available

$19 per hour for upto 3 children in same family

Hope this helps

Happy Days

Enjoy your cruise

Thank you for the quick replies!

I didn't realize there was a nursery option. Are the hours limited? I would probably only need day care during the shows so I bet those times book fast!

8am - 2am, if you know day before which shows you are attending, would suggest organizing at guest relations day prior to your evening show

I can say we have always had excellent sitters for our daughter and no issues whatsoever

Have done a few hours, and as time went on did from 6pm to 2am

It is well organized and you can always be paged if there was any issues

Nursery hours I will ask wife to check for you.

Edited by PompeySailor

Hello everyone!

I am planning my first RCI cruise and my first cruise ever with a toddler. I'll be traveling with my daughter and granddaughter. I'm curious about activities/dining venues' date=' etc. that would be good or possibly something's to definitely avoid. The baby is only two months old now so it's tough to tell what her temperament will be like in 18 months. I'm assuming that she's too young for children's programs so any tips or info on in-room day care would be appreciated!

TIA,

Allie

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote']

We haven't been on Oasis, but went on Freedom last year with my daughter who had *just* turned 2. One thing I didn't know before going was that they do not allow swim diapers in any of the pools. They have a separate "Baby Splash Zone" area for those in swim diapers. But, I gotta say, it was kinda a joke. It was like a 8-10 ft triangle area with a few inches of water in it. The water was warmer than the regular pools though! But, they wouldn't let my 6 year old in that area, so I couldn't have both kids in the same place!

We did use the nursery, mostly for day hours so we could enjoy pool and whirlpool time. They said spots were limited, but we were never told the spots were full. We didn't try and use it during any of the shows, though. the staff in the nursery on Freedom were excellent (as were the Adventure Ocean staff for my at the time 6 yr old) I think the $8 an hour was reasonable and as I said, the staff were soooo excellent. They gave a phone to call you if problems or if you wanted to call and check in. They gave the kids snacks if you wanted. They gave a little tote bag on the first day that you could bring back and forth for diapers/wipes, pacis, other comfort items. The nursery also had a great toy lending library. We checked out a few different Little People type sets for play time in the cabin, etc. while we were getting ready, etc.

The diaper delivery program was, IMHO, way overpriced. We just bought a large box of diapers at Walgreens near the port and checked it in with the porters with our other luggage and it was delivered to the cabin, had enough for the 1st day in my bag I was carrying on to the ship.

My kids ate in the main dining room and Windjammers. Wait staff were good with all the kids traveling with us....my 2 year old all the way up to my 11 year old nephew. They have a very typical kids menu in the MDR in addition to the regular menu, would bring kids milk, juice, choc milk, etc. My daughter loved that they would bring her ice cream and cookies at the end of the meal, she came to expect it, lol. I do recommend having a couple sippy cups, etc for that age. We had a few and just brought a tiny thing of dish soap and washed them in the cabin at night.

They have pack-n-plays available, but we didn't use them. We actually had 2 adjoining Promenade rooms, and we had my daughter in one twin bed that was partly against a wall, and put a tall suitcase on the other side/between the beds as a makeshift rail. She also napped on one of the couches.

We didn't do much for shows, because we didn't want to pay tons of $$ for nursery and have her up at late hours and be crabby for ports the next day....but that's just us. We are more about the ports and snorkeling than the nightlife on the ship. Although, we are cruising next winter and do look forward to the fact that she will be old enough for AO, free child care for both kids while we lounge around the pool and have some adult only time! And go to some of the shows, etc. in the evening!